Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the mount sealed with a non weather resistant lens on a sealed body?  (Read 1645 times)

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia

I'm looking into the Fujifilm X system.  Ideally I'd like to use only WR lenses on a sealed body.  But the lens line up is still maturing and to get the combination of focal lengths that I want (within my price range and size requirements), I may need to grab some non-WR lenses.  Any ideas on how weather sealed the body (such as an XT1/2 or Xpro2) will be with a non-WR lens?  Is the mount protected by the body sealing, or does it need to be paired with a WR lens?

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus

Most cameras need both lens and mount to be sealed for the true resistance.  However, ide be more concerned about the lens itself getting soaked than water getting in from the mount.  There is a lot less area for exposure on the mount compared to the lens sticking out with various points for entry.  Focus rings, zoom rings, etc...

It also depends on the amount of rain too.  I've shot plenty of non sealed gear in light drizzle and been fine for a few moments. 

If you plan on shooting through a storm ide have both sealed.  If it's just a sprinkle while making that last shot before the camera goes in the bag.. a non sealed lens would be fine.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia

One option for lenses includes getting one or more of the pancake primes.  So in their case, there's not much lens sticking out or mechanisms on the lens for water/dust to get in I'd assume.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography

If it is a steady rain then it might be a problem, really light rain for a few minutes does not bother me. I also carry a camera cover for use in the rain. Several bag type versions around and easy to carry with the small size of the Fuji. I have a Peak Design cover, it is ok a little small but it works just fine. I got it mostly to cover the lens and the lens mount, the back of the camera can be exposed without an issue.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Otto Phocus

Just remember that Weather Resistant only means what the marketing department wants it to mean.  Unless the camera/lens has been put through and IP evaluation, you really don't know what you are getting.

A weather resistant camera/lens will resist the effects of weather up to the point it doesn't.

I would invest in a good rain covering.  I like to treat my camera equipment as being "weather vulnerable".

Good luck with it.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.
Pages: [1]   Go Up