Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mac Pro workstations  (Read 21024 times)

32BT

• Pictures
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 09:54:20 am »

I presume you already checked maccentral and their not particularly informative Leopard First Look: 64bit part.

In addition, you may want to look up the BootCamp install PDF on the apple site, which has some information about using windows and drivers for the mac included peripherals.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 10:42:58 am »

I presume you already checked maccentral and their not particularly informative Leopard First Look: 64bit part.

In addition, you may want to look up the BootCamp install PDF on the apple site, which has some information about using windows and drivers for the mac included peripherals.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74344\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oscar, yes the first article confirms what I said about the pricing question, and the second confirms the questionable benefits of diving into 64 bit computing just now, but doesn't say much about compatibility issues that do exist. Using Windows on a Mac sounds like an attractive win-win scenario until you learn that neither Microsoft nor Apple supports it - the deal is, "try and use at your own risk". That information led me to conclude that if one decides to go the route of switching platforms, just plan to switch platforms - full stop.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

llama

• http://www.uncommonpear.com/
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 01:58:34 pm »

Mark,

What kind of hardware is raising your driver concerns?

I ask as most Macs come with all the hardware, and consequently drivers, in place.

Also, you should verify that the system is actually running in 64-bit mode. As you may know, the Intel Core Duo 2, like the AMD64, support both 32 and 64-bit software, as long as the OS does. Might be worht confirming whether the OS will allow 32-bit drivers where 64-bit don't yet exist.

The second anandtech article I posted earlier, might help on this question.

If you do change teams   , let us know how it goes.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 02:17:17 pm »

2 printers (an HP and and an EPson), 2 scanners (an HP and a Minolta) , 4 external drives (Lacie), 2 monitors (Lacie and Samsung). One of the scanner manufacturers is out of the business. Trues, the Core Dual supports both 32 and 64, but apparently the Mac Tiger O/S that comes in the MacPro may not - at least according to these young under-trained people in the Apple Store - this is exactly the sort of information I'm most interested in getting right. Your comments point to the need for more research on this.

I think I need to move soon. The fan over the processor on my Dell 8200 (2002 vintage) is shot and Dell doesn't have any replacement in stock - and no E.T.A. for this component. Just shocking. I can carry-on unless the CPU over-heats. Isn't that great?

Rokcet Scientist

New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 09:24:06 pm »

2 printers (an HP and and an EPson), 2 scanners (an HP and a Minolta) , 4 external drives (Lacie), 2 monitors (Lacie and Samsung). One of the scanner manufacturers is out of the business. Trues, the Core Dual supports both 32 and 64, but apparently the Mac Tiger O/S that comes in the MacPro may not - at least according to these young under-trained people in the Apple Store - this is exactly the sort of information I'm most interested in getting right. Your comments point to the need for more research on this.

I think I need to move soon. The fan over the processor on my Dell 8200 (2002 vintage) is shot and Dell doesn't have any replacement in stock - and no E.T.A. for this component. Just shocking. I can carry-on unless the CPU over-heats. Isn't that great?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74368\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well... I guess we'll be seeing you here next from your brandnew Mac Pro then...
Can you connect to your Dell with FireWire? If you can, your Mac Pro can 'suck' the Dell's HD dry.
Hope your backups are up to snuff.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 09:24:38 pm by Rokcet Scientist »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 10:47:22 pm »

2 printers (an HP and and an EPson), 2 scanners (an HP and a Minolta) , 4 external drives (Lacie), 2 monitors (Lacie and Samsung). One of the scanner manufacturers is out of the business. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74368\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would personnally add to this list:

- Imacon Precision III SCSI scanner,
- Nikon Coolscan 9000,
- Wacom tablet

Cheers,
Bernard

tived

• http://
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 01:26:26 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74368\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mark

you can get a fan at any good computer store, as long as you know what make and model your cpu is!

Henrik

tived

New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 01:29:25 am »

I would personnally add to this list:

- Imacon Precision III SCSI scanner,
- Nikon Coolscan 9000,
- Wacom tablet

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74400\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bernard, I wold be interested to know if you find out about if you can use your Imacon SCSI on the new mac or windows XP x64 (should you flavor that)

I have a Imacon Photo, connected to one of my XP x32 boxes, so far so good.

I think Wacom should be fine, they are pretty much standard gear now, on any OS

Henrik

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 04:18:26 am »

Bernard, I wold be interested to know if you find out about if you can use your Imacon SCSI on the new mac or windows XP x64 (should you flavor that)

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74407\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Henrik,

One thing is sure, I would not move to a Mac Pro if the Imacon cannot be used on that system... that scanner cost must as much as I would spend on the Mac...

I'll try to contact Imacon Japan on this.

Cheers,
Bernard

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2006, 10:10:26 am »

Mark

you can get a fan at any good computer store, as long as you know what make and model your cpu is!

Henrik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74405\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Henrisk, yes, thanks - I was thinking of trying exactly that (in fact removing the fan and bringing it to shops to make sure I get an equivalent product) - just a nuissance chasing around when Dell is supposed to have such simple things to support their products.

Duke

New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2006, 08:02:10 am »

Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery Software recovers lost, deleted and formatted digital pictures / images on removable media, after an accidental deletion, media format or corrupt media. Phoenix Photo Recovery Software works with any type of digital card reader or storage media that can mount as a volume. The program displays images that it finds and allows you to recover all of them.

Phoenix Photo Recovery Software is helpful in the following cases of data loss.

* Provides Image Recovery after corruption due to the card being pulled out while the camera is on.
    * Provides Photo Recovery after corruption due to turning the camera off during a write process
    * Provides Photo / Image Recovery after Formatting of the digital storage media.
    * This Photo / Picture Recovery utility recovers data lost due to, using media between different cameras / computers Provides Image / Picture Recovery after Accidental deletion of the photo
For more information http://www.stellarinfo.com/mac-photo-recovery.htm

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2006, 08:47:33 am »

Stellar Phoenix Photo Recovery Software recovers lost, deleted and formatted digital pictures / images on removable media, after an accidental deletion, media format or corrupt media. Phoenix Photo Recovery Software works with any type of digital card reader or storage media that can mount as a volume. The program displays images that it finds and allows you to recover all of them.

Phoenix Photo Recovery Software is helpful in the following cases of data loss.

* Provides Image Recovery after corruption due to the card being pulled out while the camera is on.
    * Provides Photo Recovery after corruption due to turning the camera off during a write process
    * Provides Photo / Image Recovery after Formatting of the digital storage media.
    * This Photo / Picture Recovery utility recovers data lost due to, using media between different cameras / computers Provides Image / Picture Recovery after Accidental deletion of the photo
For more information http://www.stellarinfo.com/mac-photo-recovery.htm
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76766\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This post is completely OFF TOPIC and strikes me as an asttempt on the part of a software vendor to advertise his own products, which is actively discouraged on this website and known to most internet users as SPAM. If this describes the intent behind this post I suggest you delete the post. If this is not the intent, I suggest you clarify your intent in posting this message. I am bringing the matter to the attention of the Administrators.

John Camp

New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2006, 08:53:00 am »

I'm all-MAC at this point, and my feeling is that I don't want to upgrade anything until the dust settles. Apple's been moving very fast with this, and changing over to Leopard at the same time, and the speed makes me nervous: there are bound to be a few bugs showing up. If you can last for a year, I think things should be settled down. Probably get good prices on really good machines post-Christmas '07.

JC

hassiman

New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2006, 02:30:20 am »

The macPro with 2 GB RAM seems to be quite quick with CS2 and large files for basic darkroom type work in CS2.
It seems that the last update to OSX has speed up the non native (Rosetta) MAC application quite a bit.  The CS2 benchmark was actuallt improved in many areas by as much as 38%.

In 5 Months CS3 will FLY on this lowly machine with only 2 dual core chips.  Actually the programs that will benefit from more cores are the 3D apps like Maya.

I love the MacPro.

I am thinking of getting a Nikon super Coolscan 9000.  Good machine?

Thanks.

GregW

New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2006, 09:54:14 am »

Like John, I'm all mac; have been for 20 years!  It's very easy, epsecially since the introduction of the alu Powerbooks, to be drawn by the sexiness of the kit, but there is a kind of unofficial logic to Apple that if followed can put you in the sweet tspot of the upgrade curve.

Apple have a very clear continuous improvement strategy for both hardware and software.  Hardware is typically reved quarterly i.e. improved graphics card, CPU speed update etc.  A very good example was Apple's rather late inclusion of the FW 800 interface for the Macbook Pro 15. I'm sure there are a lot of people with early Macbook pros who miss that feature.  Same goes for SW.  In recent times both Panther and Tiger received updates within the first 6 months.  

It's no surprise that I will upgrade my Powerbook and Powermac.  I will do so when CS3 is launched and Leopard is released, between now and then there could be 1 or maybe two hardware revision cycles.  In the mean time more and more apps are universal and able to leverage the hardware changes.   By that time any early HW issues will be resolved..and there have been a few, plus you will be early enough to get most of the technology shift.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2006, 09:54:00 pm »

I just had a Mac Pro demo of CS2 running on WinXP Pro using Bootcamp. It was very fast. Then the guy ran CS3 beta on the Mac OS. It was blazingly fast.

The Bootcamp and Parallels programs are very workable solutions for those that have to run Windows programs but love a Mac for Photoshop and graphics.

I'm getting one to replace my 2 year old Dell Precision Workstation with dual Xeon processors. I'm tired of waiting for a 64 bit version of Windows. Apparently Vista, due out in the spring, is not fully 64 bit plus I will have all of the early Windows OS bugs etc.

My 2 cents.

Bud James
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

jjlphoto

New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 09:37:07 am »

Once like major apps like CS3 and Phase One are released as final universal binary versions, (not betas or release candidates) you will most likely see a huge surge in buying of those Mac Pro towers. GMB and Epson already has MacIntel software out. Eizo's MacIntel monitor driver is supposed to be out anyday now.
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

photographist

• Dancing with Light Photography
New Mac Pro workstations
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 12:24:38 pm »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please... but aren't there also some issue with the Cannon IPF5000 drivers and/or plug-ins?  I'm on PC now so I may not be up to date.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up