Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Kimberley  (Read 2746 times)

stever

The Kimberley
« on: April 26, 2017, 03:20:38 pm »

we're planning to go on a Kimberley cruise next Apr-May and would like to spend a week or so afterwards touring from Broome.  Any recommendations?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: The Kimberley
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 03:52:56 am »

Probably better to post the question on the Western Australia Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=western%20australia
What are you touring in? Car, motorhome, 4WD?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 04:36:28 am »

Probably better to post the question on the Western Australia Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=western%20australia
What are you touring in? Car, motorhome, 4WD?
This is an important question.
The Kimberley has a single sealed road connecting Broome to Kununurra and another sealed road south from Broome to the rest of Western Australia.
There are a lot of places to go but most will only be accessible by 4WD.

Also a week will not give you much opportunity to see anything - distances are vast and speed is low since almost all "roads" are 4WD tracks.
Kununurra to Broome by the sealed road is over a 1000 km.
Going via the Gibb River Road is shorter in distance but longer in time since it is 4WD only.

It is also not unusual for there to be 500 km between fuel stops.
There is only on small town between Broome and Kununurra called Hall's Creek.
Essentially The Kimberleys is a couple of million square kilometres of wilderness with very little human habitation.
The scale of the place cannot really be appreciated from a map.

If your cruise starts and ends in Broome, then, in reality, you will be limited to locations about 100-200 km from Broome to visit. Otherwise you spend all your time driving with little opportunity for anything else.
As I said before a 4WD will be required for most places because there are no sealed roads apart from what I mentioned.

Are you looking for wildlife, landscape locations, aboriginal culture, small towns?
The answer changes what the advice might be a lot.

The Kimberley's is one my favourite places in all Australia and I have travelled there several times yet I have only barely scratched the surface of what the place offers.

Tony Jay

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 10:15:10 pm »

Tony summed it up perfectly, and sorry to bump a thread 3 weeks old, but I thought I'd suggest you look at a flight over the Bungle Bungle if you can get to Kununurra (you'd need to fly from Broome) or maybe Halls Creek if they offer it from there these days (I was first there in the 80's and haven't been back this millennium, so I'm sure services could have changed - such as they didn't have a sealed road to Kununurra from Broome :-) - it's amazing and in the time available, the only real way to see it.
Phil Brown

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 10:42:09 pm »

Tony summed it up perfectly, and sorry to bump a thread 3 weeks old, but I thought I'd suggest you look at a flight over the Bungle Bungle if you can get to Kununurra (you'd need to fly from Broome) or maybe Halls Creek if they offer it from there these days (I was first there in the 80's and haven't been back this millennium, so I'm sure services could have changed - such as they didn't have a sealed road to Kununurra from Broome :-) - it's amazing and in the time available, the only real way to see it.
Flying may be a real option if aerial photography's your thing.
Obviously, it has its expenses, but if it was you enjoy doing then it may be well worth it!

Tony Jay

stever

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 12:01:14 am »

thanks.  am trying to arrange a flight from Kununurra with a 2 nights stay in camp at bungle bungles - but bookings aren't open until Sept - hope this will work as we have limited flexibility on dates.  don't really have the time or desire to do several days of driving.

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 12:18:47 am »

That sounds really good.  The Bungle Bungle and the area should be wonderful and staying a couple of nights would be great!  Good luck :-)
Phil Brown

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 12:32:30 am »

thanks.  am trying to arrange a flight from Kununurra with a 2 nights stay in camp at bungle bungles - but bookings aren't open until Sept - hope this will work as we have limited flexibility on dates.  don't really have the time or desire to do several days of driving.
Good luck - either way view this as just a limited reconnaissance for next time!
Pages: [1]   Go Up