Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The March for Science 4/22/17 in Chicago (image heavy)  (Read 4034 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
The March for Science 4/22/17 in Chicago (image heavy)
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:06:59 pm »

I was incentivized to get out and march in support of science last Saturday...it was a lovely day for a walk! The group was of course, very orderly and had lots of signs. I carried my little Sony RX 100 and my iPhone. I've posted a web site in case you want to see all the images at: The Geek March 4-22-17

Front

Back

I downloaded a high rez file from NASA (figured that was very appropriate) and printed out a sign on my Epson 9900 on poster board.

A lovely day...for a walk!

Lots of volunteers to help keep order, this is a patch they wore.

Blunt...

One of my favs...The Lorax

Tiny Greedy Hands...yep!

Yeah, let scientists do science...

I started to get tired and decided to "recycle" my sign...

But this fellow asked if he could have it, so recycle accomplished!

A sign of the times...

Chicago stationed snow plows with full salt loads at street entrances to make sure no wing nut could use a truck to attack the crowds in a terrorist act.

RUMP TOWER
(yeah, ok, I know how to use Photoshop :~)

Ray

Re: The March for Science 4/22/17 in Chicago (image heavy)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:12:17 pm »

I'm rather amazed at the slogans, such as, "I'm with you, mother earth" (in picture form); "Climate Change is Real You Idiots", and so on.

Of course climate change is real. Do any skeptics deny that climate change never happens, or that we are not in a current warming phase?

I see no mention in the slogans of the effects of CO2, which I assume is the central issue in this controversy. Trump is advocating 'clean' coal, which is now a technological reality with the development of Ultra-Supercritical coal-powered plants.

We exist because of a continual process of climate change thoughout the history of the planet, that has allowed organisms to evolve into what exists today. We are not only 'with' Mother Earth, we are an inextricable part of it.

Jeff Schewe looks very 'well fed' in the images, thanks to the productive nature of our planet.
Perhaps he should consider how much the plants and crops on Mother Earth just love higher levels of CO2.

If the issue is about reducing toxic chemical emissions which are known with certainty to affect human health, then why not make that clear in the slogans. That's the issue.

There are many problems of the adverse effects of pollution on our planet, and these are the problems that should be addressed.
In Australia we have fines against littering. All harmful pollutants to the environment should be tackled, but excessive concern about CO2 emissions is a distraction which can result in a failure to address the real problems, and especially the problems of natural, extreme weather events that we know with certainty have occurred for millennia.

Here's an image of the list of fines that apply in Western Australia, to individuals and corporations that litter the environment. The rest of the world should follow Australia's example.

Schewe

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:56:10 pm »

Here's an image of the list of fines that apply in Western Australia, to individuals and corporations that litter the environment. The rest of the world should follow Australia's example.

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of stiff fines for littering...

Jeff Schewe looks very 'well fed' in the images, thanks to the productive nature of our planet.

Up yours dodo...

Ray

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 12:24:46 am »

Up yours dodo...

Ha! Ha! Hee! Hee!   ;D ;D ;D

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 12:44:30 am »

I'm rather amazed at the slogans, such as, "I'm with you, mother earth" (in picture form); "Climate Change is Real You Idiots", and so on.

Of course climate change is real. Do any skeptics deny that climate change never happens, or that we are not in a current warming phase?

I see no mention in the slogans of the effects of CO2, which I assume is the central issue in this controversy. Trump is advocating 'clean' coal, which is now a technological reality with the development of Ultra-Supercritical coal-powered plants.

We exist because of a continual process of climate change thoughout the history of the planet, that has allowed organisms to evolve into what exists today. We are not only 'with' Mother Earth, we are an inextricable part of it.

Perhaps he should consider how much the plants and crops on Mother Earth just love higher levels of CO2.

If the issue is about reducing toxic chemical emissions which are known with certainty to affect human health, then why not make that clear in the slogans. That's the issue.

There are many problems of the adverse effects of pollution on our planet, and these are the problems that should be addressed.
    In Australia we have fines against littering. All harmful pollutants to the environment should be tackled, but excessive concern about CO2 emissions is a distraction which can result in a failure to address the real problems, and especially the problems of natural, extreme weather events that we know with certainty have occurred for millennia.

Forget about CO2. A much bigger problem will be the methane.
    • The Arctic Ocean could be largely free of sea ice in the summer as early as 2030 or even before that.
    • Arctic temperatures are rising twice as fast as the temperatures in the rest of the world. In the fall of 2016 mean temperatures were six degrees higher than average.
    • Thawing permafrost that holds 50 per cent of the world's carbon is already affecting northern infrastructure and could release significant amounts of methane into the atmosphere.
    • Polar bears, walruses and seals that rely on ice for survival are facing increased stress and disruption.
    • Changes in the Arctic may be affecting weather as far away as Southeast Asia.
    And that's not counting tremendous methane production by the livestock farming (and ever increasing number of bean eaters).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arctic-climate-warming-ice-report-1.4083728[/list]
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:52:53 am by LesPalenik »

Ray

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:33:15 am »

Forget about CO2. A much bigger problem will be the methane.

Good! Let's forget about CO2. What can we do about methane?

If warming is a natural event, which I suspect it might be, but I'm not certain, then such atmospheric methane levels must have increased greatly during the Roman Warm Period and the Medieval Warm Period, which were at least as warm as today. That didn't stop the intervening cool periods during the Dark Ages and the Little Ice Age occurring. So what's the problem?

Warm periods in the past appear to have been beneficial for humanity. Civilizations flourished, including that great Khmer civilization in Cambodia (Angkor Wat) which was much more impressive than any contemporary civilization in Europe during the Middle Ages.

Whatever happens to the climate, the challenge is to adapt to the consequences of the climate changes. Trying to control the climate by using CO2 levels as a sort of 'control knob' is totally foolish. It's an expression of extreme arrogance and hubris.

Farmer

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 03:49:17 am »

https://www.skepticalscience.com/medieval-warm-period.htm

http://www.globalwarming.org/2012/07/26/is-todays-climate-warmer-than-the-medieval-and-roman-warm-periods/

I thought you demanded the highest levels of scientific rigour and scepticism?  You should apply that to your own musings :-)
    Phil Brown

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 05:08:35 am »

Ray, you are missing the point. The march was against the attack on science as a guide to solutions. Science illiteracy, as promoted by the Trump administration, is counterproductive. Besides, Trump is not promoting clean coal (a euphemism) he aims at lifting pollution restrictions to reduce cost for producers of pollution.

And you also keep missing the point that 'climate change' is all about the human factor added on top of the natural change (e.g. due to solar activity, or orientation of the rotation axis of our planet).

So the march(es) around the world were not about CO2 but about the attack on science. And this thread is not about anthropogenic climate change (you have your separate threads for that), but it's about the protest against the promotion of Science illiteracy (e.g. by defunding research and destruction of source data/reports).

Cheers,
    Bart
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 05:23:10 am by BartvanderWolf »
    == If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ray

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 05:59:33 am »

Ray, you are missing the point. The march was against the attack on science as a guide to solutions. Science illiteracy, as promoted by the Trump administration, is counterproductive. Besides, Trump is not promoting clean coal (a euphemism) he aims at lifting pollution restrictions to reduce cost for producers of pollution.

And you also keep missing the point that 'climate change' is all about the human factor added on top of the natural change (e.g. due to solar activity, or orientation of the rotation axis of our planet).

So the march(es) around the world were not about CO2 but about the attack on science. And this thread is not about anthropogenic climate change (you have your separate threads for that), but it's about the protest against the promotion of Science illiteracy (e.g. by defunding research and destruction of source data/reports).

Cheers,
    Bart

Sorry, Bart. In my neck of the woods, there is no attack on science. The conflict seems to be between two extremist groups, neither of which have a clue about science.

In other words, it's a conflict between the true deniers and the religious alarmists. Sensible people understand the difference between 'hard' science and 'soft' science.

The march is a march by idiots. (Excluding Jeff Schewe of course  ;)  )
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:54:56 am by Ray »

Manoli

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 06:19:28 am »

Ray, you are missing the point,
    And you also keep missing the point ...

No Bart, he's not missing the points - he's studiously avoiding them. Different.

Ray

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 06:31:18 am »

https://www.skepticalscience.com/medieval-warm-period.htm

http://www.globalwarming.org/2012/07/26/is-todays-climate-warmer-than-the-medieval-and-roman-warm-periods/

I thought you demanded the highest levels of scientific rigour and scepticism?  You should apply that to your own musings :-)

I do. I consider all the evidence that is available to me, unlike others who cherry pick.

Some of the cherry-picked evidence implies that the MWP and the Roman Warm Period were not as warm as today. Other, possibly also cherry picked evidence, implies that those periods were in fact warmer.

I'm not in a position to examine in detail the data connected with such views, because the data is not available and because I don't have a PhD or MSc in all the 20 or 30 disciplines involved in climatology. I just have to use my nous.

And my nous discovers that there are many peer reviewed articles which clearly indicate that the MWP was a global event and was warmer than the present.

Here they are:

"The Science and Public Policy Institute reported in May 2009: “More than 700 scientists from 400 institutions in 40 countries have contributed peer-reviewed papers providing evidence that the Medieval Warm Period (MWP) was real, global, and warmer than the present. And the numbers grow larger daily.”

http://www.climatedepot.com/2013/03/08/more-than-700-scientists-from-400-institutions-in-40-countries-have-contributed-peerreviewed-papers-providing-evidence-that-the-medieval-warm-period-was-real-global-warmer-than-the-present/

Schewe

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 05:26:54 pm »

In my neck of the woods, there is no attack on science.

Lucky you, but in my neck of the woods things are different...

In fact Trump today signed a presidential order to reexamine all the national monuments designated in the last 30 years by the last 3 presidents, so in fact "our woods" are under direct attack because "special interests" want to do oil & gas exploration on public lands. So, in the US the national parks/monuments are under attack, the environment is under attack by reduced funding of the EPA and putting a guy in charge that wants to eliminate it so not only the climate, clean air and water is being put at risk.

Add to that the un-funding the National Institute of Health (NIH), the intention to defund the NEA and NEH, restructuring the Department of Education and the massive screwup with HHS and healthcare, there is plenty of reason for people of all walks but particularly scientists to protest.

That's what the march was all about...we are undergoing an attack on higher education and the validity of science itself. Does the term "alternative facts" ring a bell? There are alt-right nationalists that want to delegitimize basic science and research...

So, which side are you on? Do you support the luddite alt-right nationalists that are attacking and trying to delegitimize science and research or do you want science and research to continue?

You know shyte is serious when scientists venture out of their labs to walk in support of science...are you saying that's a bad idea?

Farmer

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 06:55:12 pm »

But, Ray, you have for and against and "no clear direction" science on the subject for the period concerned.  Your taking it to support only your side of the argument goes directly against the methodology you are insisting that everyone else applies.

There's a name for that :-)
    Phil Brown

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
    « Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 09:33:01 pm »

Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island in Canada are now offering immigration assistance to US citizens looking for a safe place to live.

http://www.canadavisa.com/eligibility-requirements-prince-edward-island-provincial-nominee-program.html

JohnDomiska

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 09:09:53 pm »

Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island in Canada are now offering immigration assistance to US citizens looking for a safe place to live.

http://www.canadavisa.com/eligibility-requirements-prince-edward-island-provincial-nominee-program.html

Haha are you serious? I really don't believe they would do that! There's no positive discrimination towards the U.S. here in Canada.
    For permanent residence (PR) application that I went through, my case was processed even faster than some U.S. applications, because I went through a system called Express Entry! If some U.S. guys want to come here, they can use the guide I used to get my PR status:
    https://www.justforcanada.com/express-entry-step-by-step-guide.html

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
    « Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 09:33:35 pm »

But Les, it's too cold up there.  Oh wait.  It's getting warmer. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
    « Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 12:02:22 am »

Haha are you serious? I really don't believe they would do that! There's no positive discrimination towards the U.S. here in Canada.
    For permanent residence (PR) application that I went through, my case was processed even faster than some U.S. applications, because I went through a system called Express Entry! If some U.S. guys want to come here, they can use the guide I used to get my PR status:
    https://www.justforcanada.com/express-entry-step-by-step-guide.html

John, you replied to a 2 year old post, but it's good to see again the photo of Jeff Schewe on the top.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
      • http://myrvaagnes.com
    « Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 08:57:04 am »

John, you replied to a 2 year old post, but it's good to see again the photo of Jeff Schewe on the top.
    Yes, I miss Schewe, too.
    I hope to catch up with him over on PetaPixel.
    -Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
    Pages: [1]   Go Up