Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon 9000 Question....??? HELP  (Read 1546 times)

TNMark2

Nikon 9000 Question....??? HELP
« on: April 25, 2017, 07:54:58 am »

Got a scanning problem......

I'm scanning film with a Nikon 9000 scanner....   I've had a few of them and pretty much know how they operate....  Done a fair amount of scanning in the past.

Not sure what the film is exactly, its about 35mm sized with a single square sprocket hole at the bottom corner of each frame.  Its "color" (IE images are in color like slides).  No real markings on it.  I'd guess 126 film???

Using the Nikon FH-869g Glass Strip Film Holder with VueScan software on a Windows XP PC...

On some frames (particularly dark ones) I get an artifact of horizontal lines...
EXAMPLE HERE....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B90TFIvE0EeNd0xFNFh0TV9iN00/view?usp=sharing

I scanned "red border" slides just before this frame and had no issues.    Does anyone have any idea what is happening or why?   More Importantly, how to get rid of it.

Thanks

Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Nikon 9000 Question....??? HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 12:05:12 pm »

No idea what you mean by "red border" slides and what scan settings you are using, so it's impossible to say anything reliable about your problem. Absent any software-related issues, it could be the scanner sensor pooping out, but I've never seen that pattern before so I'm speculating.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Garnick

Re: Nikon 9000 Question....??? HELP
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 04:14:08 pm »

Got a scanning problem......

I'm scanning film with a Nikon 9000 scanner....   I've had a few of them and pretty much know how they operate....  Done a fair amount of scanning in the past.

Not sure what the film is exactly, its about 35mm sized with a single square sprocket hole at the bottom corner of each frame.  Its "color" (IE images are in color like slides).  No real markings on it.  I'd guess 126 film???

Using the Nikon FH-869g Glass Strip Film Holder with VueScan software on a Windows XP PC...

On some frames (particularly dark ones) I get an artifact of horizontal lines...
EXAMPLE HERE....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B90TFIvE0EeNd0xFNFh0TV9iN00/view?usp=sharing

I scanned "red border" slides just before this frame and had no issues.    Does anyone have any idea what is happening or why?   More Importantly, how to get rid of it.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Although I've never seen this on my LS 4000, I have certainly encountered it on both flatbed scanners.  In each case it was not quite as uniform as this example.  By that I'm referring to the well defined(sharp) edges of the bands.  On the flatbeds it has always been a simple matter of dust on the mirror, which of course is repeated as the scan head moves along its route.  If it weren't for the sharp band edges I would say it's the same issue, which has only one cure.  That is to disassemble the scanner to some extent and vacuum the mirror, without touching it of course.  On the two occasions that I had to employ this technique it worked flawlessly.  Since the bands would generally only show in the darker areas of an image I would scan a piece of black matt board before doing the vac trick.  It would of course show the banding quite obviously.  After the cleaning the scan was clean as well.  If you have no experience with this sort of work here's a link that shows the procedure very well - http://www.shtengel.com/gleb/Nikon_8000_9000_mirror_cleaning.htm.  Of course there are also chemicals involved in this method, but I haven't yet tried it with the LS 4000. 

One other possibility I just thought of.  About 6 months ago I was trying to help a customer who had just sold his Nikon LS 4000, and the fellow who bought it was having some difficulty.  Looking back on that incident I seem to recall that it was quite similar to this issue.  I had him bring the scanner to my business location and I would give it a go.  Since Nikon Scan is no longer supported I used Vuescan, as he had done, and the scan of the same image was clean.  We toiled over that for a while and then I asked if he had a "Clean" power supply to run the scanner.  He said it might not be quite as clean(stable) as it should be, so he took the scanner to his work location and it performed flawlessly.  At that point he decided to purchase a UPS unit with some voltage stabilization built in and that did the trick.  Perhaps you could test your scanner as well, although you seem to have been able to scan without this issue under other circumstances.  As far as the film is concerned, from you description I believe they are likely Kodak Instamatic negs.  As I recall, 126 had no sprocket holes, but I could be mistaken.  it's been a long time since I've handle either of these films.  I hope some part of this is of help to you.

Gary     

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:48:02 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up