Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade from aptus 22?  (Read 2086 times)

adam tracksler

Upgrade from aptus 22?
« on: April 23, 2017, 07:46:57 am »

I'm thinking about upgrading from my aptus 22 to something with more ISO and speed.

Looking at something newer than the 22, but not brand new, like a phase one 30+.

Is it a big jump iq wise?

Will be probably keeping my mamiya afd. (Would like to stay with the mamiya mount for my lf camera).

DanielStone

Re: Upgrade from aptus 22?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 07:54:42 pm »

Budgetary limits will aid in referrals. Do you want to stick with a CCD or is a CMOS chip ok? As "full frame" as possible, or is a crop chip ok?

adam tracksler

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:13:12 am »

Probably sub 4K.
I'm not married to CCD or CMOS.
Full frame as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 03:46:01 pm »

You'l need to provide a lot more information to the community for the community to provide you pertinent advice.

The Aptus 22 was made in 2005, so is 12 years old.

"something newer than the 22, but not brand new, like a Phase One P30+" -- the P30+ is from 2007, so 10 years old. It would be an upgrade in terms of resolution (22 --> 31) and an upgrade in terms of ISO (max of 1600 vs max of 400) and an upgrade in terms of long exposure but a downgrade in sensor size and ability to check focus at 100% (slow, but possible on the Aptus, not possible on the P30+). It also has a pretty different color rendering (you may like or dislike - it's subjective).

So what are your priorities? What do you shoot? What about your Aptus 22 are you looking to improve upon? Tell us more and we can tell you more.

You can get a quick idea of pricing ranges on our used digital back page page but I'd encourage you not to fall into the trap of looking for a "good deal" (a back at a specific price point) and then researching if it's a good fit for you. Rather I'd suggest you first figure out what's a good fit for you; what will improve things that you care about improving? A "good deal" on a back that isn't right for you is not a good deal at all.

adam tracksler

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 06:49:45 am »

Lots to think about there.

I really like the aptus rendering, but it is slow to use and slow in terms of ISO. Something is wrong with the firewire on mine, maybe it could be repaired, (does anyone do that?) I think being able to shoot tethered would help with some of the issues. Since it wouldn't require taking the card out to see the images.

I mostly shoot still life in studio and in the wild. I've been relegating my 22 to personal work, and using my a7 for client work. I'd love to add it in more.  Some of my work is here -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/23072609@N04/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:20:49 am »

Lots to think about there.

I really like the aptus rendering, but it is slow to use and slow in terms of ISO. Something is wrong with the firewire on mine, maybe it could be repaired, (does anyone do that?) I think being able to shoot tethered would help with some of the issues. Since it wouldn't require taking the card out to see the images.

I mostly shoot still life in studio and in the wild. I've been relegating my 22 to personal work, and using my a7 for client work. I'd love to add it in more.  Some of my work is here -- https://www.flickr.com/photos/23072609@N04/

So from your reply some of your priorities would be:
- Better ISO range
- Faster/Easier tethering
- Faster interface
- Good Live View (very useful for still life)

None of those will be accomplished by repairing your Aptus 22, which is likely cost-prohibitive. However, I'd suggest working with the dealer you purchased it from on testing it; it's very possible that the firewire hardware isn't actually defective and the issue is cabling, power, setting, firmware, or software related (the first two being the most likely). Whether you keep it or not it's useful to know if the firewire is working or not.

To get better ISO, faster/easier tethering, and a faster interface I'd suggest any of the backs that are in a modern chassis and have USB connectivity. In the Team Phase One lineup, at the low end this would mean a Credo 40 or refurb IQ140 (above your stated price range, but within the same ballpark). At the high end this would mean an IQ3 100mp (quite far out of your stated price range).

To get better live view you'd need a CMOS back which would mean, within the Team Phase One lineup, a Credo 50 or refurb IQ150 at minimum.

For what you shoot, based on your FlickR feed I'd also say that a tech camera would be a great additional tool to have. You could look around maybe for a Cambo Wide DS with 35XL or similar last-generation tech camera kit that might come in at only $3k-$4k if you could find one; just be aware that such lenses may not hold up for future higher res backs if you continue upgrading in the future.

From what I'm reading here I'd suggest staying put and saving up another year or two. That way you'll have a less restrictive budget, and the price of the backs that would represent meaningful upgrades to your needs will be less expensive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up