Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bombing a soccer team bus to make money  (Read 1756 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Bombing a soccer team bus to make money
« on: April 22, 2017, 09:44:30 pm »

Among all recent terror events, this one didn't get much attention outside of Germany.
But it is one of a kind, most despicable act never seen before - combining multiple bombs, a famous soccer team, a profit motif (and a substandard execution). Hopefully it won't spur copycats.

BERLIN
A 28-year-old German-Russian citizen took out a five-figure loan to bet that Borussia Dortmund shares would drop, then bombed the team's bus in an attack he tried to disguise as Islamic terrorism in a scheme to net millions,

http://www.espnfc.us/borussia-dortmund/story/3108585/suspect-arrested-over-bomb-attack-on-borussia-dortmund-team-bus

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:39:55 pm by LesPalenik »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Bombing a soccer team bus to make money
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 04:01:39 am »

Among all recent terror events, this one didn't get much attention outside of Germany.
But it is one of a kind, most despicable act never seen before - combining multiple bombs, a famous soccer team, a profit motif (and a substandard execution). Hopefully it won't spur copycats.

It had a fair amount in England, perhaps because of the national obsession with football (which I confess I don't share). Someone made a comparison with the plot of a recent Bond film.

Jeremy

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:54:28 pm »

It was reasonably reported here in Australia, too, to the extent that I saw the story in various headline snapshots after it happened across several of the news services.
Phil Brown

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:29:19 pm »

Maybe it was reported everywhere, but not so much in Canada and USA. I read about it first in German papers, which had understandably an extensive coverage for several days. I guess, the American and Canadian publications keep all their reporters in Washington.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:29 am »

Yup, it was big news in Portugal, not less so because Dortmund played Benfica recently for the CL.

Disgusting...

Otto Phocus

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:23:01 am »

It was covered here in the US.  It may have been buried considering all the other stuff that is happening in the US, but it was covered
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 01:01:11 pm »

That it was a football team appears incidental. The club is listed on the stock exchange, and the guy may have been trying to make the share value drop and making money by shorting.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 02:11:01 pm »

That it was a football team appears incidental. The club is listed on the stock exchange, and the guy may have been trying to make the share value drop and making money by shorting.

Indeed, he was doing exactly that. BTW, Borusia Dortmund is the only top-league sports club in Germany which is listed on the stock exchange and for a bad hombre it is infinitely easier to infict a serious damage to that company's value than for example to a large corporation with assets in properties, patents and other fixed items.

Pages: [1]   Go Up