Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Android experience with raw mobile capture  (Read 3906 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Android experience with raw mobile capture
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:54:55 pm »

I have just learned :o that I can do raw captures on my Galaxy S7. There seems to be a limited number of postings concerning raw captures with, say, LR Mobile or other apps that have similar capability on this platform. Is it just a matter of downloading LRM to my phone, snapping away, and syncing to my CC account? Also, for those with some experience, are the phone OS issues so different that we need a separate thread for Android users? Or just an LRM category?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Android experience with raw mobile capture
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:07:37 am »

"Is it just a matter of downloading LRM to my phone, snapping away, and syncing to my CC account? "

I believe so. I can't say for sure (my iPhone 6 is iOS and Apple don't let it save raw files) but I think you just need to get LrM on your phone. LrM contains its own camera feature, and I think you choose the "Pro" or DNG setting.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 10:21:50 am »

Thank you John. I'll give it a try.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 06:56:42 pm »

I moved this post from the Mobile forum to here because no one has replied

Now that we can get access to raw images taken with the iphone, I have been Tweaking these and have some observations.  I t seems that it takes more aggressive movements with the some of the sliders on Iphone images than with similar adjustments on images taken with my DSLR.

The Dehaze, Curves, and clarity sliders behave similarly but the Highlights,shadows,blacks and white sliders need much more dramatic moves to get desired changes compared to the images taken with my DSLR.

Frankly, the jpeg image output from the native Iphone software, or the results from the Procamera App both look excellent with no work needed at all, and tweaking the raw images to match these results require a lot of work and do not always get there.  It makes  me wonder if I should bother dealing with raw images at all.  This question applies to images taken with the Iphone and not my DSLR.

In addition, I find that adjusting any slider in the Detail panel, like sharpening, requires very large movements to see any effect, compared to an image taken with a DSLR.

Can others confirm my observations or offer a different opinion.

It appears that Even though the raw file is available from a mobile phone, the LR processing is not up to snuff compared to DSLR images.

MDIJB

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 04:30:36 am »

It appears that Even though the raw file is available from a mobile phone, the LR processing is not up to snuff compared to DSLR images.

I don't see any difference in adjusting different types of images. Sure, Apple make the JPEGs look pretty good, as does a Nikon / Canon / Fuji etc when you shoot with a DSLR, but using LrM to shoot DNGs means you can squeeze that little bit more out of the photo. Most recently I examined a friend's iPhone 7 photographs taken when he thought he was merely a guest at a private concerto but had then been expected to take pictures and share them before leaving. The straight images were certainly good, but he could get far better WB, highlights and shadows in LrM. Subsequently, he could improve them even more on the desktop.

My own iPhone 6 can't create raw images (thanks Apple!) and initially I wondered why Adobe had even bothered to include a camera in LrM. Once it was able to take raw images, my view changed completely. If your phone can take raw images, I find it hard to see why you wouldn't do so.

donbga

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 08:53:45 pm »

I don't see any difference in adjusting different types of images. Sure, Apple make the JPEGs look pretty good, as does a Nikon / Canon / Fuji etc when you shoot with a DSLR, but using LrM to shoot DNGs means you can squeeze that little bit more out of the photo. Most recently I examined a friend's iPhone 7 photographs taken when he thought he was merely a guest at a private concerto but had then been expected to take pictures and share them before leaving. The straight images were certainly good, but he could get far better WB, highlights and shadows in LrM. Subsequently, he could improve them even more on the desktop.

My own iPhone 6 can't create raw images (thanks Apple!) and initially I wondered why Adobe had even bothered to include a camera in LrM. Once it was able to take raw images, my view changed completely. If your phone can take raw images, I find it hard to see why you wouldn't do so.

FWIW, my Nexus 5, Nexus 6p, and Pixel XL all are capable of producing RAW files. However for some reason Google does not support RAW captures with the builtin camera app. To get RAW other apps are required; luckily there are several very good APPs available for a few $$. Also the Pixel XL has built in IS.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 10:06:09 am »

I just offload my images and process them on my computer for those that really need tweaking. Or what I do a lot is download my S7 dng files, edit them and then upload to a cloud server that I can access the files from my ipad and process them for art work. I wish the android market place would have some of the artsy fartsy apps like the apple has had for awhile. Although things are getting rosier on the Android side. A lot of the apple is stuff is becoming outdated.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up