Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2015.10 - constant crashes  (Read 5658 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
LR 2015.10 - constant crashes
« on: April 21, 2017, 04:47:01 pm »

Against my somewhat better judgement, I decided to update Lightroom today to 2015.10. Since this morning, I've had nothing but crashes, regardless of whether the file is a CR2 RAW file or a small JPEG. Is there a way to roll back to 2015.9 or even 2015.8? I'm running Windows 10 and unfortunately, the most recent Restore Point is from after I updated the software. (A lesson to be learned there.) After that, the next most recent Restore Point is 4/12/2017. Sort of screwed I suppose.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: LR 2015.10 - constant crashes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »

If you are on the CC subscription plan I believe within the Adobe Updater there is a way to reinstall a previous version.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:53:40 pm »

Thanks, Mark. I'll look and see (though I never saw it previously). Really a disaster. I feel Adobe rolls out stuff too quickly so they can keep their "promise" of always keeping you, the subscriber, up to date. I think the non-CC/subscription programs seemed generally more stable (though there whoppers before as well).

nemophoto

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:25:11 pm »

I may have solved the issue. I turned off the questionable and chronically problematic GPU acceleration and the crashes stopped. I worked with a number of images and no problems, so that seems to be the problem. I have the latest AMD Radeon driver. I don't know. I've NEVER found any advantage in almost any program to using the GPU acceleration. I think it's a gimmick. In the past with Lightroom, I found it often hindered rather than helped the performance. The only advantage in PS is smoother scrolling and zooming. My graphics card is no slouch -- R9 390 with 8GB of RAM.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 06:48:43 am »

I have noticed that Lightroom is a lot smoother and faster with GPU acceleration turned off. (NVidia 960 card, i7 machine with 32 gig).  I seem to remember reading somewhere that the problem is caused by the time taken to move the image data between system memory and graphics card memory.

nemophoto

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 01:25:12 pm »

I have to agree with you. I have anAMD FX 9590, 32GB of RAM, a Radeon R9 380 with 8GB of video men, and LR is Pig if I have GPU turned on. Between the two of us, we have both processor and video card platforms with mega memory, so that says there's an issue with implementation. Nearly every time I have an issue with LR, I can usually trace it back to the GPU acceleration

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 05:38:01 pm »

Maybe GPU acceleration only accelerates the GPU ... until it crashes... :o
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 09:21:18 am »

It's most disappointing to see that LR/Adobe still can't figure out how to make GPU acceleration work in LR.  I agree with the latest version if you have an nvidia card, mine are GX970's and if you enable GPU acceleration the program becomes very unstable. 

Throughout it's history LR has IMO never really worked well with GPU/open CL and I have always ended up turning it off.  I find it strange that Adobe can't figure this out as the GPU support in Photoshop CC works very well and you can clearly see an improvement in performance with it enabled. 

It also seems to be something to do with Nvidia and LR and windows at least for my work.  On the Mac, enabling GPU support has no problems and does seem to make an improvement in performance. 

Windows 10, 64 GB of ram, Catalog on SSD For PC
Mac is Sierra, 64GB of ram, SSD for OS, catalog on same SSD.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 02:10:09 pm »

Hello,

I cannot follow or understand the problems mentioned above :

My wife's notebook, a Dell XPS 15 with 5k screen and a Nvidia graphics adapter, is running Lr CC/2015.10 without any problems ! GPU acceleration is activated and all tasks are running flawlessly. The OS is Windows 10 /1703, the latest release.
Currently she is working on pictures since 2.5 hours and no crash happened.

Best wishes
Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 03:16:34 pm »

I cannot follow or understand the problems mentioned above :
......GPU acceleration is activated and all tasks are running flawlessly......
But is it actually any faster with the GPU acceleration enabled ? If so doing what ?

I've tried it several times since it was introduced and it really makes so little difference it's not worth enabling as some tasks slowed.

There has been hardly anyone praising it or saying it makes any significant improvement.
Odd as in other Adobe programs it's implementation can make dramatic improvements eg rendering in Premiere Pro

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 09:49:43 am »

But is it actually any faster with the GPU acceleration enabled ? If so doing what ?

I've tried it several times since it was introduced and it really makes so little difference it's not worth enabling as some tasks slowed.

There has been hardly anyone praising it or saying it makes any significant improvement.
Odd as in other Adobe programs it's implementation can make dramatic improvements eg rendering in Premiere Pro

+1, Exactly, it makes no difference in real performance from what I can tell, zooming, especially.  If you are working on a 36Mp or larger file the zoom gets slower and slower over time for me, finally I just close and restart.  Or try zooming in on an image with a lot of adjustment brush work or spot removal.  It can and will often take up to 25 to 30 seconds. 

There are plenty of video benchmarks and I have run a few on LR and Photoshop CC, but with Photoshop CC if you turn off the GPU acceleration, you can visually see the slow down in how fast the program will allow moves, zooms etc.  In LR, I just don't see any different, GPU on or off but I leave it off most of the time as it seems to create other issues over time. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

nemophoto

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 08:59:17 pm »

It comes down to poor implementation of the GPU combined with the fact that, in many cases, the CPU contains more raw computing power than the GPU. I good example is also On1 Photo10/Photo RAW 2017. It is fully GPU driven. And it's a slug. Several years ago, they decided to go the GPU route and I found I had more computer crash issues combined with slower performance. Why people would think computer gaming/3D graphics engines could handle this stuff, I don't know. I certainly haven't seen the promised performance boost, and I've had three video cards in 2-years trying to solve this. I'd rather go with the new AMD Ryzen. There are test online that show it smoking a Mac Pro with 64GB (versus the Ryzen with 16GB) and shows that it's really CPU performance that creates the performance, not the GPU.

Rhossydd

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 04:29:31 am »

Why people would think computer gaming/3D graphics engines could handle this stuff, I don't know.
There is a lot of unused capability within most GPUs. If you saw how dramatic the difference between video rendering speeds is when GPU acceleration is turned on in Premiere, you'd understand why it should be beneficial for other work too.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 06:22:14 am »

I do not understand that Adobe still does not know how to use the GPU power or at least make sure your system is stable.
You should think that a good support for the macs GPU's would not be to difficult for they only use a few type of GPU cards.

Photoshop used to be rock solid on a mac.
I am still on ( MAC) CS6-photoshop- even that one is more unstable than the very solid CS5 version...
I have often to go in and out of the program to revive my brush.

Maybe the evolution of the program has become so large and black box like that the programmers lost their way... ?
-
An other disappointment is the lack of multicore support.
If i want to change size of say 600 photo's on my 8 core mac- it is not smart enough to use 8 cores- it uses 1.
With a trick i can speed this proces up 6 times...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

nemophoto

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 09:27:48 pm »

There is a lot of unused capability within most GPUs. If you saw how dramatic the difference between video rendering speeds is when GPU acceleration is turned on in Premiere, you'd understand why it should be beneficial for other work too.

It may be that GPU makes Premier fly, but it drags down LR. The only real difference I've noticed in PS is smoother scrolling. I've seen no discernable difference in performance, for either PS or LR with the GPU enabled. Look at it this way. Video editing and gaming have far more in common than gaming and still image editing. The rendering capabilities are lost on a still image, as far I've seen. I keep the GPU active in PS, mostly for the smooth scrolling and for slightly better rendering at odd viewing scaling like 63%, rather than 25%, 50%, 100%.

Rhossydd

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 03:50:27 am »

It may be that GPU makes Premier fly, but it drags down LR.
That seems to be the case.
Look at it this way. Video editing and gaming have far more in common than gaming and still image editing. The rendering capabilities are lost on a still image, as far I've seen. I keep the GPU active in PS, mostly for the smooth scrolling and for slightly better rendering at odd viewing scaling like 63%, rather than 25%, 50%, 100%.
I'd guess you haven't much experience of video editing or where GPU acceleration helps.
It's not about what's happening on-screen (although it should help), where GPU usage helps is rendering an edit timeline to a finished file. This involves applying, in effect, parametric corrections to images and sound, then joining them all together and exporting in a different file format. Much like a big export from LR or building previews on import.
In very crude terms it does this by regarding the GPU as a series of extra cores of CPU to utilise. Some of the early demonstrations of GPU acceleration in PP showed how a computer suddenly went from being a quad core machine to a 200 core machine when rendering with the GPU enabled.
So to utilise GPU possibilities the first step would be to make LR use all the CPU cores available to it, something it fails at most of the time now.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 01:51:14 pm »

LR crashes on me when I'm flitting between images in the Developer module with the "Use GP" option clicked on. But that option clearly and noticeably speeds up the use of the Transform palette, which I tend to use. So I'll just slow down a bit when moving through images, and keep the GPU option on.

nemophoto

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:46 pm »

That seems to be the case. I'd guess you haven't much experience of video editing or where GPU acceleration helps.

No, I don't do video editing. Though I actually started my career 40+ years ago in film, I long since left that world for still. Frankly, I wish I could still buy a camera with only still capabilities rather than paying extra for the video. Any, If you download and use Blender, there are perfect examples of how the GPU speeds through rendering versus just CPU. But that backs up my point. GPU is almost a one trick pony. For most of still rendering work (certainly in LR), it's been my experience that it just bogs down the computer. Using the sliders is slow work. Zooming in and out is slow. Basically, I feel Adobe threw it into the mix for video but it frequently impacts, negatively, the still.

nemophoto

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 02:08:41 pm »

LR crashes on me when I'm flitting between images in the Developer module with the "Use GP" option clicked on. But that option clearly and noticeably speeds up the use of the Transform palette, which I tend to use. So I'll just slow down a bit when moving through images, and keep the GPU option on.

Personally, I haven't seen much of a difference, but I don't use Transform much since I rarely shoot architecture. That said, I haven't seen a difference in speed with and without GPU, and at this point, until a bug-fix is released, I'm reluctant to turn the GPU back on.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 03:20:02 pm »

Basically, I feel Adobe threw it into the mix for video but it frequently impacts, negatively, the still.

No, they added it to Lightroom for the newer 4/5k monitors. If it's not driving one, it's hard to see any advantage from leaving it enabled.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up