Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Constantly Crashing  (Read 5131 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
LR Constantly Crashing
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:25:57 pm »

Hey guys. Hope you all can give me some tips on this issue.

My LR Application is constantly crashing at this point. It was rather intermittent, but now it's every time certain tasks are performed.

Import or Export...Crash. Syncing Settings...Crash. And that's it. Otherwise it hums along with no problems at all.

I'm running an iMac Retina 27" Late 2015, with the latest OSX updates. Although LR has been crashing for several months now. I'm on the latest LR CC release. Updated it last night actually. Approximately 110,000 images in the catalog.

Should I trash LR and reinstall? I have not yet unchecked the graphics processor box. I've heard that may solve some issues.

Thanks everyone. I'm mostly curious if this is a problem specific to my setup or an Adobe wide issue.

Best!
JB Rasor

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
Re: LR Constantly Crashing
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 11:06:51 pm »

If you create a new catalogue with some images in it, does it still crash?

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 05:00:20 am »

I just tested that and indeed it does.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 05:07:01 am »

What message comes with the crash?

If it was an Adobe-wide issue, I'm sure we would have heard about this happening.

John

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 05:30:36 am »

John. No message except "Adobe has detected a crash would you like to report?" Then a message, "no solution found." Rinse and repeat haha.

I uninstalled and reinstalled LR. I unchecked Graphics Processing. I created a new catalog. And still, crashing during specific tasks. Import, export, sync.

I just can't wrap my head around it. Mac hardware issue perhaps? I have no issues in any other software program except these specific tasks in LR.

It's really not the biggest deal. A hassle more than anything, but I guess I'll track out to Adobe directly and see what they say.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:41 am »

crashing during specific tasks. Import, export, sync.

That does seem odd. Have you tried zapping the preferences? It often sorts out odd problems, especially on Mac. See here

I just can't wrap my head around it. Mac hardware issue perhaps?

That's what I am thinking, but it's odd that certain tasks trigger the problem.

John

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 04:48:30 pm »

Same issue here, only in PC. (Just saw your post.)

nemophoto

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:26:06 pm »

Try turning off the GPU acceleration, if you have it on. Worked for me on my PC.

Blue439

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 03:36:49 am »

Interesting... I run version 6.7, standalone, on a PC under Windows 7 fully updated, no issue to report. Is it the creative cloud version that crashes?

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 03:43:26 am »

John, I have not tried zapping the preferences. I'll definitely give that a try and see what results.
-Nemophoto, I have tried unchecking GPU acceleration...unfortunately to no avail.
-Dominique, it is the latest CC version.

francois

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 04:56:57 am »

Any messages in the console when LR crashes?

Have you tried to login from another user account and create a new catalog with a few files?
Francois

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 05:23:01 am »

So I caved in and called Adobe.

I spent about an hour on the line with a really nice young lady from India. She jumped on my machine via remote access and did a whole host of who-knows-what. So far so good!

She said that it was a Permissions issue. She forece-quit all CC Applications in Activity Monitor, restructured a bunch of permissions through the finder in ~Library/Preferences, renamed some buried files in different caches and at that point I couldn't keep track any longer. It was a long process.

She definitely knew what she was doing, or had me totally convinced that she did. Either way things seem to be resolved.

I will admit, I was skeptical that the first person on the line at Adobe Customer Support would resolve my problem...but...I stand corrected.

So who knew. Thumbs up for Adobe Support. Never thought I'd say it.

Hope that helps if anyone is having similar problems.

Thanks again everyone!

JB   

nemophoto

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 09:01:40 pm »

Glad they solved the issue.

graeme

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 07:15:11 am »

Glad they solved the issue.

+1, but should we really have to be jumping through these hoops in 2017?

ButchM

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 01:23:49 pm »

She definitely knew what she was doing, or had me totally convinced that she did. Either way things seem to be resolved.

I agree that it is great that you found a solution .... but .... if the support tech was readily aware of the issue and more importantly knew the extensive steps to correct the problem indicates your issue is not an isolated occurrence and she has done this many times before.

Which brings up the question, why hasn't Adobe addressed the issue and fixed it properly by now or how why didn't they discover it in pre-release testing? Does their alpha/beta testing circle lack enough diversity not to reflect the broader user base?

Once again, I don't expect Adobe to be perfect and I laud the tech in question for implementing a solution ... but where has the attention to detail gone at Adobe of late? Why aren't they catching many of these issues before they release updates?

I seem to recall one of the top selling/marketing points of CC was they would no longer be held to chiseled in stone delivery dates, new features and updates would be offered when they are ready. It seems that not much has been really ready of late.

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 05:50:10 pm »

+1, but should we really have to be jumping through these hoops in 2017?

At the very least what the support person did to remedy the situation should be in a tech note explaining which files in which locations had issues with permissions and what their proper state should be.

Without this information it's just an unfounded guess that Adobe products were at fault for the problem.
Regards,
Ron

ButchM

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 09:40:36 pm »

Without this information it's just an unfounded guess that Adobe products were at fault for the problem.

Agreed ... IF ... this was an isolated incident that occurs infrequently.  A cursory look at several different discussion forum threads around the net seem to indicate this isn't an obscure outlier problem.

I would expect that any permission files and 'buried files in different caches' that the tech restructured and/or renamed were Adobe supporting files ... NOT ... other app supporting files. If they were .... that's concerning they would mess with such things without offering a detailed explanation to the end user.

adias

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 11:47:22 pm »

Should this [LR failures] happen in 2017? And why not? Stuff happens on any given computer, often due to misguided operator actions. I run several Lr/PS installations and never had an issue. The difference is that those machines are not altered by anyone or any misguided application. Today's machines are a performance marvel, but they are incredibly complex. And with anything complex, sooner or later, bad stuff happens. Wait until your driverless car, presumed 'perfect' does something that will surprise you and does not look good. :(

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 03:14:50 am »

One can confirm any prejudice with a cursory look....

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 05:26:04 am »

It would be interesting to know what could have caused this issue.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up