Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adapted Lenses on the Sony A7R II. A Question.  (Read 4286 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Adapted Lenses on the Sony A7R II. A Question.
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:27:02 pm »

I am am trying to use adapted lenses (Nikon, etc.) on the Sony A7R II camera body, but cannot figure out how I can set the aperture on the adapted lens and see the effect in real-time in LivewView. How can I do that? And what about in magnified mode?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Adapted Lenses on the Sony A7R II. A Question.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:40:03 pm »

I am am trying to use adapted lenses (Nikon, etc.) on the Sony A7R II camera body, but cannot figure out how I can set the aperture on the adapted lens and see the effect in real-time in LivewView. How can I do that? And what about in magnified mode?

What kind of lenses? I'll talk about F-mount lenses first.

Pre-G lenses should work just fine, and stop down with the ring. The Otus lenses are pre-G in that sense.

G lenses need an adapter with a "finger" inside to adjust the aperture.

With E lenses, except for a trio of (IMHO, flaky) smart adapters, you're SOL.

It works in magnified mode, too. The camera can't tell whether the lens is stopped down or not.

With R-mount or M-mount lenses, see pre-G F-mount lenses.

With Canon lenses, you'll need to talk to someone who uses them on the a7x.

With A-mount lenses and the Sony adapter, the camera controls the aperture.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:43:17 pm by Jim Kasson »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:45:24 pm »

What kind of lenses? I'll talk about F-mount lenses first.

Pre-G lenses should work just fine, and stop down with the ring. The Otus lenses are pre-G in that sense.

G lenses need an adapter with a "finger" inside to adjust the aperture.

With E lenses, except for a trio of (IMHO, flaky) smart adapters, you're SOL.

It works in magnified mode, too. The camera can't tell whether the lens is stopped down or not.

With R-mount or M-mount lenses, see pre-G F-mount lenses.

With Canon lenses, you'll need to talk to someone who uses them on the a7x.

With A-mount lenses and the Sony adapter, the camera controls the aperture.

Jim

I am talking about Otus and the like. I hear you, but I can't see where you told me how to implement it on the Sony A7RII. I have all manual-focus lenses I want to adapt, no G or E.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 03:46:36 pm »

I am talking about Otus and the like. I hear you, but I can't see where you told me how to implement it on the Sony A7RII. I have all manual-focus lenses I want to adapt, no G or E.

If you just twist the ring on the Otus, it stops down, right? You can look into the front of the lens to make sure that's happening.

Jim

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 03:49:23 pm »

If you just twist the ring on the Otus, it stops down, right? You can look into the front of the lens to make sure that's happening.

Jim

Of course, but how do I see it on the A7RII? Is there something to set in the menus? Or as I turn the adapted lens, I should see it reflected in the A7RII? Ans what about in magnifed mode?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »

Of course, but how do I see it on the A7RII? Is there something to set in the menus? Or as I turn the adapted lens, I should see it reflected in the A7RII? Ans what about in magnifed mode?

I am trying to use the Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 lens, earlier model. Where I turn the aperture ring on the CV-90mm, it just stays wide-open. Nothing changes.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 03:53:35 pm »

You will see the effects on DOF. There is nothing to set in the menu.

If you want to see the image get darker, turn setting effect on.

Jim

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 03:56:01 pm »

You will see the effects on DOF. There is nothing to set in the menu.

If you want to see the image get darker, turn setting effect on.

Jim

Setting-Effect is ON. Must be this lens. Perhaps something in the Novoflex adapter to Nikon is holding it open. I will try the Otus lenses, probably have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 03:56:34 pm »

I am trying to use the Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 lens, earlier model. Where I turn the aperture ring on the CV-90mm, it just stays wide-open. Nothing changes.

Which adapter are you using?

Jim

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 03:58:17 pm »

Setting-Effect is ON. Must be this lens. Perhaps something in the Novoflex adapter to Nikon is holding it open. I will try the Otus lenses, probably have to wait until tomorrow. Thanks.

Is it a G adapter? If so, where is the ring on the adapter set? You want to set it all the way to the narrowest aperture, so the lens can control it.

Jim

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 04:02:48 pm »

Is it a G adapter? If so, where is the ring on the adapter set? You want to set it all the way to the narrowest aperture, so the lens can control it.

Jim

That was it... the ring on the adapter. I missed that. Sorry. And thanks for pointing it out. This is my second time with the A7RII but it has been some years. Using it until Nikon or Sony come out with a larger Mpx upgrade to the D810.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 04:16:21 pm »

That was it... the ring on the adapter. I missed that. Sorry. And thanks for pointing it out. This is my second time with the A7RII but it has been some years. Using it until Nikon or Sony come out with a larger Mpx upgrade to the D810.

I hate that about G adapters. I try to use them only with G lenses, for that very reason. Usually with me it's not as obvious as being stuck wide open.

WRT the a7RII vs the D810, I much prefer the a7RII for macro work, which is what I'm assuming you're doing. The one-push EFCS and magnified focus peaking alone make a significant difference. I know you can program the Cognisys for a double-push, but I worry about the controller and the camera getting out of synch.

Jim
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 04:20:20 pm by Jim Kasson »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 04:29:32 pm »

I hate that about G adapters. I try to use them only with G lenses, for that very reason. Usually with me it's not as obvious as being stuck wide open.

WRT the a7RII vs the D810, I much prefer the a7RII for macro work, which is what I'm assuming you're doing. The one-push EFCS and magnified focus peaking alone make a significant difference. I know you can program the Cognisys for a double-push, but I worry about the controller and the camera getting out of synch.

Jim

So far, what I worry about with the A7RII is that the highlights are a bit harsh, but I am just getting re-familiar.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 04:39:15 pm »

So far, what I worry about with the A7RII is that the highlights are a bit harsh...

May be your profile. In my tests, both the a7RII and the D810 raw files are nearly linear all the way to clipping.

Jim

BobDavid

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 06:50:01 pm »

A7r II RAW files processed in CaptureOne are much better than ACR/Lightroom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up