Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom mobile camera  (Read 8188 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Lightroom mobile camera
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:35:34 pm »

I have been shooting a bit with the camera built into Lightroom mobile on my iPhone 7 plus and have been quite pleased with the results given that it is a small camera on a phone.

The first attached image is shot in DNG format without HDR processing and is shot in auto mode so no attempt to protect hightlights which we can see are blown out.
The second is the same scene (almost) shot in DNG HDR mode and the highlights are protected (mostly). The forst two were shot with the longer lens on the camera.
The third attachment was shot with the side lens on the camera and against the sun and in HDR mode. See how the scene is handled from highlights to shadows. Quite nice in  my opinion.
The last photo was a lesser dynamic range scene but still shot in HDR mode since the highlights could easily be blown otherwise.

The HDR DNG processing takes place in the phone and gets uploaded to my Adobe account. Then in Lightroom on my Mac it gets downloaded and and I can further process the images to my taste. Then again that edit gets loaded back to the phone. When I load Lightroom on my iPad Pro I will see the images with these edits as well.

The image quality is (of course) not what I get from my 5DSR or D810, but when I only bring the iPhone (which I always do) I can get decent shots where in the past with only JPG's most of the time the IQ was not good at all for such shots.

Hat's off to the Adobe Lightroom team (and Camera RAW team) for providing such features.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Lightroom mobile camera
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:29:34 am »

Are any of the forum readers using this feature? Just wondering since nobody reacted.

Alistair

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:40:09 am »

Hi Hans,

Yes I have been using the LR raw phone camera recently and it is very nice. It has the advantages of dng format as well as keeping the images within the LR workflow environment. I also use the Google camera and Snapseed workflow which has some advantages too. We are spoilt for choice with all these options and the mobile phone cameras are getting better all the time and closing the gap to proper cameras. An Android OS camera would be great thing IMO with the ability for third parties to add functionality to the camera.

BTW, I have just sent you an email regarding a workshop.

Cheers
Alistair
Alistair

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:26:31 am »

Hi Hans,

Yes I have been using the LR raw phone camera recently and it is very nice. It has the advantages of dng format as well as keeping the images within the LR workflow environment. I also use the Google camera and Snapseed workflow which has some advantages too. We are spoilt for choice with all these options and the mobile phone cameras are getting better all the time and closing the gap to proper cameras. An Android OS camera would be great thing IMO with the ability for third parties to add functionality to the camera.

BTW, I have just sent you an email regarding a workshop.

Cheers
Alistair

Thanks Alistair and I agree there is a potential to join Lightroom on an Android powered real camera. Provided that LR got control over the camera and enough of the features. There would be a lot of different variations of LR though if it was to support lots of cameras unless only the common denominator features were supported.

See you soon :)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:25:53 pm »

This is somewhat off-topic, but I have become interested in shooting raw images on my phone, an Android Galaxy S7. It does have the ability to shoot raw+jpeg and I am looking to see how well this might sync with my LR CC on the desktop. Please point me in the right direction and I will keep searching the threads. Thanks

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:04:09 pm »

This is somewhat off-topic, but I have become interested in shooting raw images on my phone, an Android Galaxy S7. It does have the ability to shoot raw+jpeg and I am looking to see how well this might sync with my LR CC on the desktop. Please point me in the right direction and I will keep searching the threads. Thanks

My suggestions is to shoot using the camera inside of the Lightroom app on the phone and not the camera app. Within Lightroom you have access to e.g. HDR as I mentioned which you will need in many cases to have dynamic range enough without having noise all over the place. When you shoot this way the synch is automatic with the desktop LR.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:34:47 am »

Thanks, Hans. I have started to experiment.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:12:50 am »

Another thing about shooting with the iPhone and using the Lightroom camera. If the lens is not wide enough for a horizontal shot, then just shoot a number of vertical shots for a pano. When the pictures have been transferred into Lightroom from LR mobile, then use the panorama stitching to make the pano. In the following example I shot 6 vertical shots in HDR mode since there was strong light and the resulting pano looks like the attached picture after a bit of editing.

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 11:14:25 am »

Thanks for all the info, Hans.  I'm going to start using the Lr camera on my phone and see how it works for me.  I do use Lr Mobile on my iPad but not seriously considered using the camera.
Regards,
Ron

ButchM

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 01:52:43 pm »

I have been using the Camera+ app on my iPhone and iPad to shoot RAW since Apple opened up the capability to iOS. Much more camera control and features for both still and video capture than offered in the Lr Mobile camera functions. It's a paid app, but well worth the nominal fee for the features and capabilities it offers.

Rather than bounce images off Adobe servers to use Lr Mobile, I simply save Camera+ images to the Camera Roll and import from my iPhone when tethered to my laptop or desktop like I do with my DSLR card readers. Should Adobe ever consider adding the ability to keyword in Lr Mobile, I might be inclined to utilize it more.

http://camera.plus

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 02:18:38 pm »

I have Camera+ and Halide on my iPhone.  I kind of like Halide better.  That said it's hard to argue with LR camera and how it integrates with LR. It's simpler than AirDrop to my Mac.

https://halide.cam/

Regards,
Ron

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 03:14:06 pm »

I have been using the Camera+ app on my iPhone and iPad to shoot RAW since Apple opened up the capability to iOS. Much more camera control and features for both still and video capture than offered in the Lr Mobile camera functions. It's a paid app, but well worth the nominal fee for the features and capabilities it offers.

Rather than bounce images off Adobe servers to use Lr Mobile, I simply save Camera+ images to the Camera Roll and import from my iPhone when tethered to my laptop or desktop like I do with my DSLR card readers. Should Adobe ever consider adding the ability to keyword in Lr Mobile, I might be inclined to utilize it more.

http://camera.plus

I haven't used Camera+, but the LR mobile camera not only captures RAW but also has the HDR option which is the same as in Lightroom. This is so great as it comes over to Lightroom in the same way as merged photos done in Lightroom. There is a lot of camera control in LR mobile in the other modes also, but especially the HDR option is fantastic.

rob211

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 12:35:32 pm »

Yeah, I usually have my iPhone 7+ and occasionally it's saved me when I needed a wide angle shot and didn't have a wide angle for the camera I was carrying. I never liked the iOS default JPEGs, too too for me. But with DNGs it's fantastic. Another RAW-shooting camera app is Manual. I prefer Camera+ though. And SnapSeed is very nice to use on images you wanna use on iOS. Lr Mobile has gotten much better of late with local adjustments, but I still prefer SnapSeed.

And yeah, why oh why no keywords in Lr Mobile??

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 01:03:48 pm »

And yeah, why oh why no keywords in Lr Mobile??

Because mobile devices are crap for entering lots of data?

ButchM

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 01:53:02 pm »

Because mobile devices are crap for entering lots of data?

Why? I have bluetooth keyboards or smart keyboards for all my iPads. I could enter keywords on those devices just as easily as I can on a laptop or desktop configuration. I do it now in other apps, I just can't figure what it wouldn't be important enough for Adobe to consider for Lr Mobile.

For me, the lack of keyword support is my primary reason for not utilizing Lightroom mobile.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 02:08:07 pm »

The UI would need to reflect that most people don't use keyboards with mobile devices. Keywording is about volume, long lists that don't work well on small screens, and numbers of photos. Yes, I'm sure a UI could be squeezed in, but unlike with the title and caption (added only recently) I can understand why it isn't a priority. It may also be that Adobe don't think traditional keywording has long left - just look at the AI search feature in lightroom.adobe.com.

ButchM

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 02:32:10 pm »

The UI would need to reflect that most people don't use keyboards with mobile devices. Keywording is about volume, long lists that don't work well on small screens, and numbers of photos. Yes, I'm sure a UI could be squeezed in, but unlike with the title and caption (added only recently) I can understand why it isn't a priority. It may also be that Adobe don't think traditional keywording has long left - just look at the AI search feature in lightroom.adobe.com.

Sorry John, I really don't think it's as convoluted or extensive intricate as you portray it. When I am working on location with a 'mobile' device ... I don't require 'long lists' of keywords. I just need to enter a handful of prioritized data points my clients may require on their end.

Like I said ... I get that job done NOW in other apps ... too bad I have to wait for my clients to adopt AI search to warrant using Lightroom mobile.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 02:58:14 pm »

Sorry John, I really don't think it's as convoluted or extensive intricate as you portray it. When I am working on location with a 'mobile' device ... I don't require 'long lists' of keywords. I just need to enter a handful of prioritized data points my clients may require on their end.

Like I said ... I get that job done NOW in other apps ... too bad I have to wait for my clients to adopt AI search to warrant using Lightroom mobile.

I currently have 5000 images in LrM. It would be page after page of keywords, lots of photos. People would probably complain if LrM didn't offer hierarchical keywords and some ability to edit the items - probably any check box that is in LrD's Edit Keywords dialog. What's the use of adding keywords if you can't search by them? So you're into designing substantial keywording UIs for each class of device, for tasks not many people would perform.

I've always argued that LrM's unbalanced, with more adjustment features than needed, and not enough metadata like captions/titles, colour labels, and integration with iOS maps. Metadata is already low priority, and I can easily understand why keywording is lower still.

ButchM

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 03:11:26 pm »

I currently have 5000 images in LrM. It would be page after page of keywords, lots of photos. People would probably complain if LrM didn't offer hierarchical keywords and some ability to edit the items - probably any check box that is in LrD's Edit Keywords dialog. What's the use of adding keywords if you can't search by them? So you're into designing substantial keywording UIs for each class of device, for tasks not many people would perform.

I've always argued that LrM's unbalanced, with more adjustment features than needed, and not enough metadata like captions/titles, colour labels, and integration with iOS maps. Metadata is already low priority, and I can easily understand why keywording is lower still.

Which is precisely why I have zero incentive to include Lr Mobile into my workflow.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 03:50:32 pm »

And yet I find it irrelevant to making good use of it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up