Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom mobile camera  (Read 431 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Lightroom mobile camera
« on: April 18, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »

I have been shooting a bit with the camera built into Lightroom mobile on my iPhone 7 plus and have been quite pleased with the results given that it is a small camera on a phone.

The first attached image is shot in DNG format without HDR processing and is shot in auto mode so no attempt to protect hightlights which we can see are blown out.
The second is the same scene (almost) shot in DNG HDR mode and the highlights are protected (mostly). The forst two were shot with the longer lens on the camera.
The third attachment was shot with the side lens on the camera and against the sun and in HDR mode. See how the scene is handled from highlights to shadows. Quite nice in  my opinion.
The last photo was a lesser dynamic range scene but still shot in HDR mode since the highlights could easily be blown otherwise.

The HDR DNG processing takes place in the phone and gets uploaded to my Adobe account. Then in Lightroom on my Mac it gets downloaded and and I can further process the images to my taste. Then again that edit gets loaded back to the phone. When I load Lightroom on my iPad Pro I will see the images with these edits as well.

The image quality is (of course) not what I get from my 5DSR or D810, but when I only bring the iPhone (which I always do) I can get decent shots where in the past with only JPG's most of the time the IQ was not good at all for such shots.

Hat's off to the Adobe Lightroom team (and Camera RAW team) for providing such features.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Lightroom mobile camera
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 04:29:34 AM »

Are any of the forum readers using this feature? Just wondering since nobody reacted.

Alistair

• https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AlistairOwensgooglePlus/posts
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:40:09 AM »

Hi Hans,

Yes I have been using the LR raw phone camera recently and it is very nice. It has the advantages of dng format as well as keeping the images within the LR workflow environment. I also use the Google camera and Snapseed workflow which has some advantages too. We are spoilt for choice with all these options and the mobile phone cameras are getting better all the time and closing the gap to proper cameras. An Android OS camera would be great thing IMO with the ability for third parties to add functionality to the camera.

BTW, I have just sent you an email regarding a workshop.

Cheers
Alistair

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:26:31 AM »

Hi Hans,

Yes I have been using the LR raw phone camera recently and it is very nice. It has the advantages of dng format as well as keeping the images within the LR workflow environment. I also use the Google camera and Snapseed workflow which has some advantages too. We are spoilt for choice with all these options and the mobile phone cameras are getting better all the time and closing the gap to proper cameras. An Android OS camera would be great thing IMO with the ability for third parties to add functionality to the camera.

BTW, I have just sent you an email regarding a workshop.

Cheers
Alistair

Thanks Alistair and I agree there is a potential to join Lightroom on an Android powered real camera. Provided that LR got control over the camera and enough of the features. There would be a lot of different variations of LR though if it was to support lots of cameras unless only the common denominator features were supported.

See you soon :)

David Eckels

• Paris sidewalk cafe
    • DavidEckelsPhotography.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:25:53 PM »

This is somewhat off-topic, but I have become interested in shooting raw images on my phone, an Android Galaxy S7. It does have the ability to shoot raw+jpeg and I am looking to see how well this might sync with my LR CC on the desktop. Please point me in the right direction and I will keep searching the threads. Thanks

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 06:04:09 PM »

This is somewhat off-topic, but I have become interested in shooting raw images on my phone, an Android Galaxy S7. It does have the ability to shoot raw+jpeg and I am looking to see how well this might sync with my LR CC on the desktop. Please point me in the right direction and I will keep searching the threads. Thanks

My suggestions is to shoot using the camera inside of the Lightroom app on the phone and not the camera app. Within Lightroom you have access to e.g. HDR as I mentioned which you will need in many cases to have dynamic range enough without having noise all over the place. When you shoot this way the synch is automatic with the desktop LR.

David Eckels

• Paris sidewalk cafe
    • DavidEckelsPhotography.com
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:34:47 AM »

Thanks, Hans. I have started to experiment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up