Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NIK in latest update of PS CC(2017)  (Read 9346 times)

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
NIK in latest update of PS CC(2017)
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:01:26 pm »

Hi,

Just completed the most recent update to PS CC(1017) only to find functionality problems with the NIK suit. Opening these plug ins requires moving my mouse or imputing random key strokes to keep the programs running through their start up sequence. While Define no longer defines. There may be other issues but that is what I noted so far. What are others finding?
Dr D White DDS BSc

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: NIK in latest update of PS CC(2017)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:12:27 pm »

Just checked my version of CC....2017.0.1 on an old Mac running OS 10.11.6. I just used Nik about an hour ago and had no problems using it.

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:25:05 pm »

Just checked my version of CC....2017.0.1 on an old Mac running OS 10.11.6. I just used Nik about an hour ago and had no problems using it.

Did you intend to say 2017.1.0? as is the current update. That would be good news if so, but then I need to determine the issue source.
Dr D White DDS BSc

msbc

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 01:02:02 am »

I noticed the same problem while using Nik on 10.12.3. I updated to 10.12.4 on the weekend so I'll check tonight if it's still an issue.

Very strange problem - I thought it was something to do with my hardware - CEP would pause loading an image unless I moved my mouse around.

UPDATE: Just tested on 10.12.4 and latest Adobe CC PS - I see the same issue, images don't progress loading when opening in Nik plug-ins unless you move the mouse.

Opening a TIF from Finder with any of the Nik plug-ins works as expected. Seems to be only having this problem when accessing Nik from within PS.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:19:12 am by msbc »
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 04:30:01 am »

I've had no trouble with Nik and the latest PS on a PC, but others have reported issues on Macs on dpreview.

langier

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:46:34 pm »

I just double-checked my version of Photoshop CC and it is 2017.0.1, not a newer release. Still without any issues under OS 10.11.6. I don't think my antique system will support a newer OS unless I do some techie updates to the hardware and firmware so I guess I'm safe using NIK for now...
Larry Angier

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 01:33:05 pm »

I have had these issues with Nik since upgrading to PS 2017.1.0 on my 2009 Mac Pro (10.11.6).

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:38:37 am »

Since Adobe has stated that the NIK collection no longer works with PS CC 2017.1, does anyone know of a filter that contains tools as similar as possible to Color EFEX?

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 02:49:27 pm »

On the Windows side it works perfectly, Windows 10 + PS CC 2017.1

langier

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 12:48:36 am »

From what I've heard Macfun is the replacement plug-ins for the now deceased Nik. Some of the same programmers, updated software. I guess it's time for me to start drifting that way as set in my ways as I can be for now... Otherwise, the solution is to keep an older version of PS CC dedicated to using the Nik suite. More clutter...
Larry Angier

Larry451

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 10:55:23 am »

wouldn't topaz be a replacement for nik?
Larry.

Danulon

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 03:31:39 pm »

From what I've heard Macfun is the replacement plug-ins for the now deceased Nik.

Now deceased? Does the Nik Collection not work anymore? Was it officially discontinued? (Might have missed an anoouncement)

Which Macphun programme is supposed to be the replacement for all parts of the Nik Collection?

RoyH

• Reflective Photo
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 03:56:59 pm »

Now deceased? Does the Nik Collection not work anymore? Was it officially discontinued? (Might have missed an anoouncement)

Which Macphun programme is supposed to be the replacement for all parts of the Nik Collection?

No, the Nik Collection is still available from Google although there hasn't been any updates for quite a while so it doesn't look like Google is doing any development on them.

Roy

msbc

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 03:53:08 am »

Problem fixed by the latest Photoshop update. Nik plugins working again as normal.
Mark Connell
Melbourne, Australia

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 04:23:03 pm »

No, the Nik Collection is still available from Google although there hasn't been any updates for quite a while so it doesn't look like Google is doing any development on them.

Roy

And now we know the rest of the story...

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/30/google-abandons-nik-collection-popular-photo-editing-software/
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 05:34:28 pm »

And now we know the rest of the story...

https://petapixel.com/2017/05/30/google-abandons-nik-collection-popular-photo-editing-software/
The only hope would be for Affinity to take this over and keep it up to date for Affinity Photo.

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 05:52:54 pm »

Several uniformed comments in discussions all over the Internet today about this news.

This behavior is not "typical of Google", as so many claim. It's typical of proprietary software controlled by a company responsive to the dictates of capitalism. Proprietary software can be enormously convenient and helpful, but like many things has a darkside too. We who use proprietary software don't "own" it. We license it and are beholden to whoever controls it. If the interests of whoever controls it no longer align with our own interests, and we lack the power to do anything about the mismatch, then we're screwed. That's intrinsic to combination of capitalism and proprietary software.  (Not that I'm in favor of this, I'm just noting it as a fact).

The source code to patented software can be made open and can be used to produce free software. Microsoft has released the source code that surely has a gazillion patents applied to it; Red Hat owns software patents (for defensive purposes). I suspect the main issue is that having lawyers and developers go over things so that the software can be made ready to have its source code released is probably seriously expensive.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 06:34:37 pm »

wouldn't topaz be a replacement for nik?

The traditional Topaz Labs Photoshop Plugins are supposed to work fine for Photoshop compatible applications. Mine work with PS6 Extended, and Affinity Photo, and with Topaz Studio (Topaz Studio itself functions as a PS plugin in addition to its specific Studio plugins). Topaz Labs plugins are still normally sold, and updated for life (as per their business model).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

FMueller

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 08:45:33 am »

Several uniformed comments in discussions all over the Internet today about this news.

This behavior is not "typical of Google", as so many claim. It's typical of proprietary software controlled by a company responsive to the dictates of capitalism. Proprietary software can be enormously convenient and helpful, but like many things has a darkside too. We who use proprietary software don't "own" it. We license it and are beholden to whoever controls it. If the interests of whoever controls it no longer align with our own interests, and we lack the power to do anything about the mismatch, then we're screwed. That's intrinsic to combination of capitalism and proprietary software.  (Not that I'm in favor of this, I'm just noting it as a fact).

The source code to patented software can be made open and can be used to produce free software. Microsoft has released the source code that surely has a gazillion patents applied to it; Red Hat owns software patents (for defensive purposes). I suspect the main issue is that having lawyers and developers go over things so that the software can be made ready to have its source code released is probably seriously expensive.

People need to understand that Google is in the business of making money. Nik software support and development has come to an end because Google couldn't figure out how to monetize it. When you receive "free" stuff from Google, like "free email" it is because YOU are the product (I know that's a clichè, but its true.)

Google has had more than a few services that people mistakenly began to rely upon only to find it unceremoniously killed. Google Reader and Picasa come quickly to mind. Nik is just another. And the people that say it is "typical Google" are not all that wrong.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:49 am »

It is very typical of google to stop development. When I project is "done" and goals are met, they team usually breaks apart and moves on. This I know from several google employees who are friends. To them it has reached it's life expectancy. When they acquired NIK, they were only interested in Snapseed, but they needed to buy the whole package. I think the only reason it lasted as long as it did is because of the contract from deal to buy NIK.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up