Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NIK in latest update of PS CC(2017)  (Read 9379 times)

rdonson

Re: NIK in latest update of PS CC(2017)
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 12:40:26 pm »

From what I've heard Macfun is the replacement plug-ins for the now deceased Nik. Some of the same programmers, updated software. I guess it's time for me to start drifting that way as set in my ways as I can be for now... Otherwise, the solution is to keep an older version of PS CC dedicated to using the Nik suite. More clutter...

MacPhun has some good offerings.  I use their Creative Kit plugins frequently.  I have Luminar as well but I rarely use it. 
Regards,
Ron

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 03:41:12 pm »

It is very typical of google to stop development. When I project is "done" and goals are met, they team usually breaks apart and moves on. This I know from several google employees who are friends. To them it has reached it's life expectancy. When they acquired NIK, they were only interested in Snapseed, but they needed to buy the whole package. I think the only reason it lasted as long as it did is because of the contract from deal to buy NIK.

Can anyone name even a single large company who sells proprietary software who does it any differently? Certainly not Adobe, or Microsoft, or Oracle. Has Autopano Pro seen anything like the same release cadence since GoPro brought them -- nope, they've had only point release. 

That's the point. What Google does is industry standard practice, because it's intrinsic to the combination of corporatist capitalism and proprietary software.

rdonson

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 12:00:12 pm »

It would be silly to fault Google on this.  They bought Nik for Snapseed and the mobile version is readily available and FREE now.  They reduced the price of the Nik plugins to $150 and then eventually make them available for FREE.  The Nik plugins are still available for FREE with the note that at some point in time they may not work because they are no longer going to be updated.

How is anyone harmed by this?  This seems like generous behaviour on the part of Google to me.
Regards,
Ron

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 02:58:15 pm »

I was not complaining nor was I faulting Google, but merely explaining this is not unusual behavior.

What would be nice is if they made it open source and that might allow further updates and enhancements. Just a thought.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

BAB

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2017, 11:28:07 am »

Since Google acquired Nik they never put out any updates that I know of so I always figured some day it's time to move on...but that's good in a way because you don't grow if you stick with the same things.
Snapchat is fun for about three days, so is pick up sticks!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 01:47:30 pm »

Since Google acquired Nik they never put out any updates that I know of so I always figured some day it's time to move on...but that's good in a way because you don't grow if you stick with the same things.
Snapchat is fun for about three days, so is pick up sticks!

Google acquired Nik in 2012. Analog Efex 2 was released in 2014. The entire software collection was updated several times. You may have missed it because the updates were mostly silent, with no user intervention required.

plugsnpixels

• http://www.plugsandpixels.com
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 03:36:22 pm »

Sadly this sort of thing happens all the time. Remember Freehand and GoLive? People used and loved those apps and still scream about them, but Adobe is not going to "release the code".

It's wise to have alternate methods of doing your work, up to and including the operating system itself. Thankfully there are sufficient choices available.
Digital imaging blog, software discounts:
www.plugsandpixels.com/blog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up