Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How will he have decided to take this shot?  (Read 2875 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
How will he have decided to take this shot?
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:49:43 pm »

I think this is a famous shot by Lee Friedlander but it's new to me

http://whitney.org/image_columns/0064/0199/friedlander003_786_786.jpg

I found it on http://whitney.org/Exhibitions/LeeFriedlander

Will the photographer have completely staged the shot or will it have been a 'found' shot presumably with some careful thought once the potential was recognised?

If it's a completely created shot, completely 'posed' as it were then it must have taken a huge leap of imagination to create.

Mike

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
Re: How will he have decided to take this shot?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 04:26:11 am »

Hmm, what would be "completely staged" in this context? That he created the sculpture? I can imagine him observing the interesting view from the car in some other context, then storing it away a little like a location (as Helmut Newton used to scribble possible locations in notebooks). Then the sculpture and something lit up in his head and he manoeuvred the car...

Or of course it could have been completely dfferent :)

In any case, thanks for the photo which I didn't know :)

Telecaster

Re: How will he have decided to take this shot?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:21:51 pm »

The photos in this series use the car as both subject (in part) and framing device, so I presume Friedlander was simply on the lookout during his travels for stuff "out there" that he figured would fit within his frame. Then it likely would've been a matter of moving around and trying different compositions. Imagine taking a walk with a camera and a picture frame (on an easel maybe) and always including the frame in your photos.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up