Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trans Canada Highway  (Read 3367 times)

framah

Trans Canada Highway
« on: August 08, 2006, 03:10:45 pm »

Michael (or any other Canadians),

I was wondering how good the TCH would be around the end of October? I thought of driving from Maine out to Alberta and then dropping down to Utah/Arizona and then back to Maine  via the Southern route.  I have never driven thru Canada and I HAVE driven all of the East/West routes in the US.

I need something different.

I'm looking at about three weeks for this road trip.

Thanks for the info.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
Trans Canada Highway
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:39:00 pm »

End of October... heh!

Well... you'll pretty much miss the golden harvest in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and eastern Alberta as the farmers will be pretty much finished by then.  There is always the chance of snow having already fallen but the way this year is going it's looking pretty unlikely.  

If you get all the way to Alberta then you should at least go to Banff, Lake Louise, and then head south into Montana and then east.  Getting all the way to Alberta and not taking that route would a big mistake.  If anything whip through Saskatchewan (you won't miss much) and spend more time in Alberta.

If you get as far as Alberta look me up and I'd be happy to guide you around some hot spots.

Kelly

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Trans Canada Highway
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 10:07:03 pm »

'Stick' season in Ontario: leaves on the ground for the most part but little snow to speak of. That said, Sudbury, SaultSainteMarie, Wawa, and N. of Superior through Thunder Bay to Lake of the Woods is splendid, dour, brooding country; a long drive but worth it. Bring gloves.

CS

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
Trans Canada Highway
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 10:04:18 pm »

If you get all the way to Alberta then you should at least go to Banff, Lake Louise, and then head south into Montana and then east.  Getting all the way to Alberta and not taking that route would a big mistake.  If anything whip through Saskatchewan (you won't miss much) and spend more time in Alberta.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72846\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Having just visited Banff, Jasper, Yoho, and Kootenay, (and Glacier (Canada), Glacier (US), Mt. Revelstoke, Elk Island, Prince Albert, Riding Mountain, etc., etc.) I would give a complete pass to Banff and Lake Louise, go up the Icefields Parkway, and see Jasper. I thought it was much nicer, and not nearly as developed as Banff. A lot of the grain on my drive back looked to be bear peak already, and the alfalfa and hay was in he process of being mown and baled, if those shots appeal. Riding Mountain and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan were starting to show color in the Aspens, and I suspect will start to turn in earnest this year sooner rather than later.

My Nova Scotian friend says that peak colors in the Maritimes are usually around Canadian Thanksgiving, in October, though I could not say myself (colors in Toronto have not been good since I mived here).

If you want specifically to do the Trans-Canada, fine, but I thin a more northerly route would be nicer for Canadian scenery, or a more southerly route for better chances for color. I very much enjoyed taking a Northerly route through Alberta and Saskatchewan, but the endd of October seems a bit late for those areas. If you are going to be near Sudbury, check out Killarney Provincial Park--nicer than most of Canada's National Parks, imo. Further along, Pukaskwa NP has a beautiful shoreline, though limited access without a boat.
-Sean [ we
Pages: [1]   Go Up