Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tetons in the Fall  (Read 8226 times)

Khurram

Tetons in the Fall
« on: August 08, 2006, 01:00:33 pm »

I'm planning another trip to the southwest and the tetons/yellowstone.

I've pretty much got everything  booked, but wanted to get some advice on timing for peak fall colors.

currently, i'm planning to arrive in Jackson (from Utah) on the evening of Sept 24 and depart for Yellowstone after sunrise on Sept 29.

Should I be aiming to be at Jackson prior to the 24th, or should this be around the time of peak fall colors? is Sept 29 too late to get any fall colors?

I managed to book passes for the wave on sept 21 and 22, so i would have to forgo one of those two days to arrive in jackson earlier
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Tetons in the Fall
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 02:29:12 pm »

Within the narrow time frame you're working with the quality of the colors will be more dependant on the specific weather (can't predict)  than longer term climatic averages.

I wouldn't forego the Wave based on weather predictions in the Tetons.  You could always adjust at the last minute if it turns out you're at the tail end of the colors, but a couple of days won't (usually) make a drastic difference although a couple of days of below freezing will...

b2martin

Tetons in the Fall
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 01:03:06 am »

We were in the Tetons and Yellowstone from 9/15/05 through 9/23/05 and did not see much color.  We found more color in the Tetons than in Yellowstone.  Most trees in Yellowstone are evergreens, so no color change.

jdlevy

Tetons in the Fall
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 02:31:14 pm »

I'm planning another trip to the southwest and the tetons/yellowstone.

I've pretty much got everything  booked, but wanted to get some advice on timing for peak fall colors.

currently, i'm planning to arrive in Jackson (from Utah) on the evening of Sept 24 and depart for Yellowstone after sunrise on Sept 29.

Should I be aiming to be at Jackson prior to the 24th, or should this be around the time of peak fall colors? is Sept 29 too late to get any fall colors?

I managed to book passes for the wave on sept 21 and 22, so i would have to forgo one of those two days to arrive in jackson earlier
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72823\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The last time I was in the Tetons was right at the end of September, and the colors were fantastic!

As stated by another, Yellowstone does not have extensive color, but there are a few spots that do.

Do not under any circumstances eliminate your trip to The Wave. It is a real highlight.
David
 My

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Tetons in the Fall
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 02:14:09 pm »

As others have mentioned the exact timing will vary somewhat depending on the weather in a given year, but statistically speaking I've read that the last week of September is your best bet. I've never been but will be up there from Sept 23-Oct 1. Can't wait...
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

thewanderer

Tetons in the Fall
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 12:10:40 am »

presently in the YS/GT ecosystem,,,,

YS short grasses and low weeds, etc are either yelllow or red now,,, there are some indications in  some of YS aspen groves, which are scattered as the others have said,, are beginning some color transformations,,,,nothing exciting, but you cans see things are happening,,, last night in Canyon,, temp 24degrees,, gardiner, MT,, 34 to 36 at nignt,, frost on ground,, at teton last weekend,, no real evidence of any change as of that time,, some of the low grasses and ground cover was showing yuellow and red though,,

from my discussions with the regulars here in the YS/GT area,, the last two weeks are when to shoot for,, but to coon it down to a two or three day period would be very difficult,,

amr

Tetons in the Fall
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 11:46:43 pm »

What ever you do, don't give up your Wave permits!  We live in Wyoming and go to Yellowstone every fall and although the Tetons can take your breath away - the Wave is something you will not see anywhere!!  We have gone back three times to the Wave.

The colors in Yellowstone/Jackson area started changing last week - peak should be from this weekend through the next couple of weeks.  Hasn't froze yet.  Go to google and look up the Cooke City Montana Web Cam and you will find other web cams for the Teton area and see for yourself.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Tetons in the Fall
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 03:00:41 pm »

The colors in Yellowstone/Jackson area started changing last week - peak should be from this weekend through the next couple of weeks.  Hasn't froze yet.  Go to google and look up the Cooke City Montana Web Cam and you will find other web cams for the Teton area and see for yourself.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77125\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's good to hear, we're flying in tomorrow evening for a weeklong stay in GTNP and YNP (first 4.5 days in GT, then 3.5 days in YNP). Can't wait!
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Khurram

Tetons in the Fall
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 12:28:11 am »

What ever you do, don't give up your Wave permits!  We live in Wyoming and go to Yellowstone every fall and although the Tetons can take your breath away - the Wave is something you will not see anywhere!!  We have gone back three times to the Wave.

The colors in Yellowstone/Jackson area started changing last week - peak should be from this weekend through the next couple of weeks.  Hasn't froze yet.  Go to google and look up the Cooke City Montana Web Cam and you will find other web cams for the Teton area and see for yourself.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77125\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks for the update on the tetons fall colours.  we will be arriving in Jackson tomorrow afternoon and have a full week there.

Made it out to the wave, and finally had some puddles there, but couldn't get any reflections, it was EXTREMELY windy - the first time i was there it was so windy, my tripod got knocked over while i was going to change lenses.  This time was even windier, but aside from the disappointment of not being able to shoot any reflections, it was a good 4 days in Page., but this time was much more windy.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog
Pages: [1]   Go Up