Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Western Newfoundland  (Read 1786 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Western Newfoundland
« on: April 15, 2017, 05:54:06 pm »

If you've been, and some specific recommendations for particularly photogenic locations in July/Aug for landscapes and nature details, I would appreciate hearing from you. Anywhere from Port-aux-Basques to St. Anthony's.

Gros Morne is perhaps the gem, but what trails were best for early morning and evening shoots?

Many small communities, but which ones did you particularly interesting?
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Western Newfoundland
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 09:02:48 am »

I can only provide a partial answer, as we didn't travel south of Cornerbrook, spent most of a week in Gros Morne National Park. The three main villages in the park, Rocky Harbour, Trout River, Norris Pont and Cow Head are all interesting, as are dozens of smaller places in between. Each of these towns have places to eat, things to see. There is still some small commercial fishing out of these places. Just south of Cow Head is where you get access to the boat tour of Western Brook Pond and I'd recommend that. The hike to/from the boat launch is itself interesting, if a bit flat. These places are all on the west coast so sunsets are easier to catch than sunrises. We didn't hike Gros Morne mountain itself, but friends have, and an early morning hike to it might be spectacular. It's pretty much a day long hike, bring food and water.

We hiked parts of the several of the trails in the Park, but it was a few years ago and I can't remember their names. We weren't bored on any of them, and the scenery is very different from what we're used to in central Canada. The info centre is very useful and the guides there will know what to recommend at different times of day. Unless things have changed, I don't recall many loop trails, so you basically come back the same way you went.

We spent a week in Gros Morne park and were lucky with weather. That is very unusual. It's a maritime climate, expect rain.

We never went north of Cow Head, so I can't tell you anything about that. A friend was in St. Anthony's in early July once and it snowed, but that is very unusual. Friends who have visited that Viking archeological site in L'Anse aux Meadows say it was worth the drive.

Btw, estimate your driving times based on 80 kph max, the roads are two-lanes with plenty of twists. No such thing as making good time. We went there twice, once in August and once in June, got rain both trips. Once you're out in the boonies, you'll be alone, not much traffic at all, unless things have changed.
--
Robert

David S

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 03:56:36 pm »

Stayed at Sugar Hill Inn and explored parts of the park. Drives are less exciting than the various towns and hikes.
We climbed up Table Top Mountain and we quite surprised that a "family trail" was HEAVY DUTY! (2010) Given I had a painful knee at the time, take what I say with some salt. BUT it was simply no family hike. View from the top was wonderful but not a sunrise or sunset climb. Villages are wonderful through the day.

Dave S

B-Ark

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 06:44:43 am »

Things that you will experience - scenery, rain & mosquitoes, not necessarily in that order.
I spent 2 weeks on the Port aux Basques to St Anthonys section. Lots of photo opportunities just along the road, we were stopping every 1/2 hour for a photo break. The hike up Gros Morne is quite a slog, but not technically difficult. Great views from the top. We got hit by the mother of all storms while at the peak. Pitched our tents in a somewhat sheltered spot, and hung on for dear life - the rain was driving through the seams on the tent. Ah, the good old days.
L'Anse aux Meadows is interesting, but it is a bleak wind swept area.
If your schedule permits, try the ferry to Blanc Sablon - we did see some small whales on the crossing.
If you're into exploring, take every single turn off the highway to see what can be found - sometimes nothing, sometimes gems.
Don't forget a few gallons of DEET.
Pages: [1]   Go Up