Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Camera Strap?  (Read 3807 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Best Camera Strap?
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:11:36 am »

What's the best camera strap for a DSLR or something like the Hassleblad X1D?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
Re: Best Camera Strap?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:21:39 am »

I just saw an ad for this strap. They claim it is anti-theft. I guess thieves can cut straps and steal your camera. This strap is made from Dyneema which is hard to cut..
http://www.photocheatsheets.com/Nikonians-3.htm

I like the OP/Tech strap. The padding on the neck part is nice and soft. Has a quick release.
https://optechusa.com
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

Manoli

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 11:15:41 am »

Anything from 'Artisan & Artist' - Japan.
http://www.artisan-n-artist.com

Jcheld

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:34:00 am »

Not Fancy ... but I like Peak Design straps for all my cameras

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 12:12:22 pm »

I like across body sling types which makes for less tiring carry than around the neck types for even heavy outfits. 

I have both of these and use the BR for a Pentax 645

Carry Speed Camera Strap
http://www.carryspeed.com/

Black Rapid R-Sport
https://www.fotonomaden.com/gadgets/black-rapid-r-sport-kameragurt/

I also add a second connection to the camera lug as a safety backup should the connection fail there is some added protection.  Not sure about the so called anti theft straps - if they do resist cutting with a knife you are then left with the potential of facing a very frustrated villain wielding a knife  :o

gagemanning

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 12:47:54 pm »

Peak Design!  I've been using it for my Leica M and Phase One.  I like the strap but as someone else said, nothing fancy.  What I like most is the way it attaches to the camera.  There is nothing else like it and makes it very easy to remove quickly if needed.  You can buy just the attachments and use them on other camera straps.

gage

JoeKitchen

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 12:52:39 pm »

I like the OP/Tech strap. The padding on the neck part is nice and soft. Has a quick release.
https://optechusa.com

I got one of these to replace the pretty low quality P1 strap they provide.  Very nice and comfortable; the quick releases are nice too. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 04:13:44 pm »

Carry Speed is back?!?!!!  I love their camera plates, I used it with the Spider Belt as well since they both have the same connection style.
t: @PNWMF

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 05:41:37 pm »

Plug for my buddy, Bill who makes some damn serious camera straps.

http://www.vultureequipmentworks.com/adv-straps/

He also makes some of the most beautiful tactical knives you'll ever see.

-CB

TonyW

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 06:12:03 am »

Carry Speed is back?!?!!!  I love their camera plates, I used it with the Spider Belt as well since they both have the same connection style.
Well, maybe back is dependent on where you live!

AFAIK, Black Rapid 'had a legal go' at Carry Speed the resulting argument culminating in Carry Speed products not being for sale in the USA market.  Depending on who you listen to it may be that BR also put a stop on those selling their products from selling CS product as well. 

TBH I also had a problem purchasing from any store in the UK all of them selling BR or others and ended up buying via a UK seller on eBay.  I suspect that if in the USA you may have to take the same route.

The thing that concerned me with both BR and CS was the single point of failure in the link between the camera mount and where it attaches to the sling.  I had seen reports (very few) of both manufacturers failing at this point and cameras hitting the ground.  So I made my own safety backup and then purchased a Joby version which basically attached to one of the camera lugs and with a small carabiner to around the camera strap.  Thus leaving the strap as the weakest link.  I think that CS now provide this feature.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 06:41:28 am »

Im using an Optech for about 5 years on a row; solid strap...
Before my strap hurt me in the mountains with my Nikon hanging on my neck; with the Optech that problem was gone.
It has some neoprene flexibility that makes it more comfortable.
https://optechusa.com/classic-strap.html
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 09:02:20 am »

Peak design.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Otto Phocus

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 10:27:07 am »

I was able to make my own sling strap that had similarities to the Bosstrap.

I could not find any strap that had everything I wanted and none of the extra stuff I did not want, so I built my own.

Very inexpensive, comfortable, and secure;  but at least I don't have to wear advertising on my equipment.   But then some people like to display labels.  What ever floats your boat.

I think I spent a total of $12.00 and I ended up with a lot more material than I needed.   Since I had control over the materials, the weakest link is the camera body itself.  I could hang from this strap and I weigh a bit more than any DSLR   ;D

Consider DIY ideas if you like that sort of thing.  You can often get better, more customization for a lot less.  You can always put your own label on it if that's important.  ;)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

SrMi

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 01:39:48 pm »

If your use is mixed (handheld with strap, and tripod), I found QD system unbeatable (requires RRS L plate and a QD Sling). Attaching and removing the strap is very quick and reliable.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 02:17:57 pm »

I can't believe how high-tec even a simple strap has become. I'm more than happy enough with one that:
  • is wide enough to spread the weight; and
  • won't slip off my nylon shell or anorak.

In both cases for me, it's the strap that came with the camera!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Otto Phocus

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 07:02:56 am »

I can't believe how high-tec even a simple strap has become.

Few people have gone broke underestimating what photographers will spend money on.   ;D

Make it expensive
Makes it complicated
Give it a fancy label with a trendy name

Profit.  ;)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 10:05:20 am »

I tried 4V Design straps recently, really liked the feel. A bit pricey but top quality!

http://www.4vdesign.it/en

Although I wouldn't use them if you don't want your camera to be noticed.
Instagram (updated often)

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 04:10:41 pm »

I always avoided straps unless I was up high or around water...basically situations where the camera could be lost forever.  Even quick release straps always just got in the way.  For a while I used ThinkTank straps with metal swivel hooks and D rings that just connected to a simple metal ring on the camera strap mount.  That way I could "quick release" and have everything out of the way. 

I gave Peak Design straps a chance and I have to say they are very enjoyable to use and the camera hangs great and doesn't bounce if you put a connector on the bottom and one side.  Their slide adjusters are also pretty nice.  Much quicker to adjust from front or rear.  First strap I actually like using.  I prefer the lite version as it doesnt have the padding in the middle.  For heavier cameras, the padding is probably preferred.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

brianrybolt

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 05:02:33 am »

Upstrap in my mind is still the King - I have 3 of them.  Also use a BosStrap when I'm carrying a heavy telephoto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up