Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak Negative Codes and Silverfast Negafix  (Read 5614 times)

rmazzi

Kodak Negative Codes and Silverfast Negafix
« on: April 11, 2017, 06:16:55 pm »

I have been scanning old family snapshots off of the negatives i can find.  I have found negatives with the code Kodak CC 400 5097 on the edge.  My research on the Internet has been incomplete.  I am not sure what version of Kodak film this is so that i can make the right selection with Silverfast V8 and the Negafix feature.  The feature works really well when i can find a match with the type of negative.  The problem is that i cannot seem to match this code with the Negafix choices.  It is possible (even likely) that the negatives aren't that good due to age, poor storage, etc.  I would like to find as good of a match with the Negafix options as possible.  I also have some Safety Film that is probably from a Kodak Instamatic.  I have the same problem in that none of the choices produce a good starting point for the color.  Any suggestions?

TonyW

Re: Kodak Negative Codes and Silverfast Negafix
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 06:52:44 pm »

The film is Kodacolor Gold 400 ASA / ISO or Gold Ultra 400

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:28:51 pm »

Any suggestions?

http://www.taphilo.com/Photo/kodakfilmnumxref.shtml
5097 film stands for Kodacolor Gold film, ISO 400

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc25.htm
will give some additional information with edge stripe color codes for the different generations of Kodak 'Gold' film

Can't help you with the NegaFix settings because I'm a user of VueScan Pro which, besides the different Gold variations, additionally has a setting for bleached film.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:34:28 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:04:50 pm »

I have been scanning old family snapshots off of the negatives i can find.  I have found negatives with the code Kodak CC 400 5097 on the edge.  My research on the Internet has been incomplete.  I am not sure what version of Kodak film this is so that i can make the right selection with Silverfast V8 and the Negafix feature.  The feature works really well when i can find a match with the type of negative.  The problem is that i cannot seem to match this code with the Negafix choices.  It is possible (even likely) that the negatives aren't that good due to age, poor storage, etc.  I would like to find as good of a match with the Negafix options as possible.  I also have some Safety Film that is probably from a Kodak Instamatic.  I have the same problem in that none of the choices produce a good starting point for the color.  Any suggestions?

All those film profiles in SilverFast are meant to give you a decent approximation of a finished conversion, but unless the match is exact you can and should refine the one that comes closest to what you like. Negafix has a very sophisticated built-in "profile" editing capability. The "Expert" mode gets you into the curves within that tool and allows you to adjust them to produce a fully satisfactory conversion, which you can then save as a new film preset and just call it up and apply it for every photo using the same film stock. No other negative scanning software has this as far as I know. The exact instructions for doing it are documented and illustrated in Section 9.3.2 pages 234-245 of my SilverFast ebook.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

CeeVee

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:14:56 pm »

Whether or not you find the right code, and there were many, really won't be of that much use to you.
That's because the many, many variations in processing and storage move the mask (that orange stuff) in unique ways. I'd start with RIT off of one of their Web pages was a listing of film codes. At a guess it was 70% comprehensive. But it would be a start.
I can tell you, if you haven't already guessed, that you've got 400 ASA speed film and it's most likely Kodacolor.
Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

rmazzi

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:25:31 pm »

Thank you for the input.  Back to scanning!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up