Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: paper suggestions for canvas prints  (Read 1714 times)

Endeavour

paper suggestions for canvas prints
« on: April 10, 2017, 08:14:27 pm »

Hi
I have to make some inket prints of paintings done on canvas, and I'm looking for some suitable paper. One which doesn't detract from the detail of the canvas in the image ideally.

I am looking at up to A3/A3+ size (13" x 19")

Any suggestions please?

BradSmith

Re: paper suggestions for canvas prints
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:31:12 am »

I've only printed images of works on canvas onto matte papers.  But I wonder if they might "appear" more real if actually printed onto canvas??  Anyone doing this?

Stephen G

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:06:58 am »

I do this regularly. Both printing the images onto matte paper and onto canvas.

In both cases I get the best results printing onto smooth paper, and the smoothest canvas I can source. The texture in a captured image can interact with the texture of the paper/canvas, making it look a bit too busy. Especially in areas of smooth tone, and especially when the reproduction is approximately life-size.

I suggest any of the high quality, smooth fine-art papers. My mainstay is Epson Hot Press Natural. If you can get Canson Edition Etching that's also very nice, and more neutral.

If you are printing the images much smaller than the size of the originals then the texture interaction is less of an issue. In this case a paper with a gentle texture can be used. Epson Cold Press Natural / Hahnemuhle German Etching.

When I use canvas I use Epson Premium Water Resistant Matte as it has a very low texture surface, for a canvas.

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 08:37:40 pm »

"When I use canvas I use Epson Premium Water Resistant Matte as it has a very low texture surface, for a canvas."

Sounds interesting, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in the U.S.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 06:31:24 pm »

Epson Premium Matte Canvas has been discontinued with Epson for about 5 1/2 years in the USA.  Their replacement is the Epson Exhibition Canvas Matte.

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 11:26:04 pm »

use Hahnemuehle Art smooth canvas. this is a newly developed and made and in my believe is excellent. the surface is quite smooth and color rendition just a little bit on warm side which gives your low-frequencies a tad more beautiful and punchy, also very strong and resist tearing very good.

Paul Roark

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 11:01:01 am »

Epson Exhibition Canvas Natural Matte has about the best, least interfering weave of canvases I've used.  That said, I still think it is distracting of image detail in prints less than 36".

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

mearussi

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:22:45 pm »

Epson Exhibition Canvas Natural Matte has about the best, least interfering weave of canvases I've used.  That said, I still think it is distracting of image detail in prints less than 36".

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Paul, I've also used the Epson Exhibition Canvas, but the Canson MuseumPro Matte has even less texture.

Pluminland

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 01:30:54 pm »

I've been using Breathing Color's Lyve canvas with good results on both an HP Z3200 and now an Epson P800.
Pages: [1]   Go Up