Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Computer Woes....Prints Coming out Lighter. Need Help!  (Read 8190 times)

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: New Computer Woes....Prints Coming out Lighter. Need Help!
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 06:45:46 pm »

Richard: 

I am not sure if I am being clear or complete.  There is also history behind all this.  I leave the whole color management on the Photoshop side.  That is also the recommendation from all of the third party paper people who provided the profiles.  So the icc profile is selected together with the "Photoshop Managed Color" option in Photoshop Print Settings, rendering intent etc.  So if I was going to print on HP Adv Glossy, I would choose color profile named as such in Photoshop.  Now there was a bug in the driver (there still is after 10 years, shows how careful HP is) that when you changed one thing, let's say the Paper Source or Paper Size, it would randomly change something else like Application management would change to AdobeRGB.  At that point, if I had HP Adv Glossy chosen in the Paper Type, it would automatically apply the profile again even though the signal from Photoshop would be hey, I am doing the color management.  I thought I was going crazy trying to figure out what was going on.  Finally I decided to create these generic paper types without attached profiles so even if the Color Management changed, it would have no profile so it will print as it came from Photoshop.  As far as I know, when you are using Application Management,  the purpose of the paper type is only to use the correct black ink.  I am fairly certain, as paranoid as I am, I would have done the experiments to compare the outputs from choosing paper types of HP Adv Glossy vs my home-brewed "Generic Gloss."  That's going back many years though.

:Niranjan
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:55:36 pm by nirpat89 »

rasworth

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 06:57:51 pm »

I think most of us agree the "right" way to do color management is thru Photoshop, or "Application Managed", i.e. dumb down the printer driver to do as little as possible.  And I can understand the frustration of a driver bug that tends to throw you back into printer color management.  The last HP printer I used was a dye based, I don't remember this type of problem.  Since then I've only used Epson printers, and they haven't had the same issue.

However, I do believe even with HP that the paper choice does signal to the printer a particular ink recipe.  It's hard to imagine one recipe fits all paper types, and the printer manufacturer is incented to throw the combination on inks onto their branded paper that maximizes the gamut without causing pooling or other excess ink problems.

Richard Southworth

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2017, 10:08:50 pm »

More data:

1.  No difference whether you use "HP Advanced Glossy Paper" or "Generic Gloss" as paper type.

2.  Ink density can be metered with that Ink Volume button in "change" mode.  Higher = darker, lower = lighter than the "auto" for the base case of Win 7 PC.

3.  Same thing happens with Win 10 PC, but the trend is still intact, i.e. with the same level of Ink Volume, the 10 is lighter than 7. 

Signing out...

:Niranjan.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up