Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any tips for two weeks in the Yukon ?  (Read 375 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Any tips for two weeks in the Yukon ?
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:42:31 AM »

I'm planning a photography trip to the Yukon but I'm not sure what some of the most rewarding places are and what time of the year is the best in order to avoid a ton of mosquitos and black flies. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

RDMAX

Re: Any tips for two weeks in the Yukon ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 04:33:33 PM »

Check the yukon website for updates if there's bad weather getting in the way

BAB

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:53:26 PM »

Bring 100% Deet!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times - "Bruce Lee"

RichDesmond

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »

Long sleeve shirts, a bug net hat (http://sonicsprings.com/catalog/alaska2008_ride_report_day7.php) and good repellent.
Be prepared for rain.

I was up there in late June, 2008. Motorcycle trip, not photography oriented so all I took was a P&S.

I was extremely lucky with the weather, very little rain and most days had glorious scenery. That's not typical though, if you read a lot of trip reports it becomes obvious that rain, and/or cloudy skies are the norm. A couple friends did basically the same trip a year later and had rain almost every day they were in Canada or Alaska.

Because you're so far north you have low sun angles all day, but if you want that "golden hour" lighting at sunset/sunrise you'll need to be up very early or very late
Pages: [1]   Go Up