Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: old hamburger joint  (Read 632 times)

sgwrx

old hamburger joint
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:44:38 pm »

"first light" image with new canon 50mm 1.2 L on Canon 6D. i like this very much (more on that in a second). i wish the corner of the building was not cropped off. i think i need to be more mindful on framing since the biggest "standard" i can print is 16x20. it's pretty straight vertically, but seems like it's rotated clockwise a bit. in c1 8.3.4, i used the color balance to warm the highlights and midtones. i used the curves tool to shift highlights towards the bright end. the levels tool was also used but so little, hardly worth mentioning. in PS i dodged shadow-mids-highlights on the blue sign a bit.

and now for more... i was not expecting this too look this good. my adjustments really were not much. i took 3 other views and they all look pretty good in color and exposure. is it possible for a lens to make a big difference? i usually would shoot something like this with a 17-40mm f4 L. maybe it was luck on lighting (sky/sun)?

thanks,
steve

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: old hamburger joint
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 11:09:09 am »

Hi Steve, I see what you were trying to do. That ancient hamburger joint is interesting as a kind of urban wabi sabi, but if you're going to include a long stretch of sidewalk like that, unless there's some reason to de-focus the background you shouldn't shoot at f/1.4, as you did in this shot. By shooting at f/1.4 you softened both the foreground and the background. At f/11 there'd have been an interesting look down the long tunnel of the street and you'd still still have been shooting at around 1/60 second. If that Canon lens has VR, that shouldn't have been a problem.

And to answer your question: lenses don't make anywhere near as much difference as photographers do.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

sgwrx

Re: old hamburger joint
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:38 pm »

thanks.  yes i see how a nice deep field of focus would improve, and remove my other worry about where "should" the focus be.  in this case, i focused on the address directly above the door.  i will take a stab next weekend and see how it turns out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up