Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji 63mm GFX lens just died  (Read 3290 times)

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
Fuji 63mm GFX lens just died
« on: April 09, 2017, 03:21:29 pm »

>:(
Well, after producing some really spectacular images, my very new 63mm lens just died. The camera tells me to try taking the lens off and putting it back on again, but nothing seems to work. Normally, the lens will extend out a bit when the camera comes on, but it isn't doing that anymore.

Gotta send it in under warranty, I guess, when I'm back from Arizona.

Fortunately, I brought my Nikon gear with me as well, but now I've got to get into the mindset needed to shoot with that.

Anyone got experience with Fuji warranty repairs or replacement? Are they OK to deal with?

Rdmax

Re: Fuji 63mm GFX lens just died
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 03:22:00 pm »

Can't be worse than Leica I hope

voidshatter

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 04:37:29 pm »

gonna love my nikon!  ;D

hogloff

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 07:55:42 pm »

I've had great experience with Fuji service. They fixed my X100 sticky aperture issue even though the camera was out of warranty and I was not the original owner.

fotagf8

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 08:34:57 pm »

I had a question, and called Fuji New Jersey shortly after my 120mm lens arrived (about two weeks ago).  The technician immediately took ownership of my issue, was a GFX user himself, and talked with me for about 5 minutes about Fuji's commitment.  I will be interested to see how you are treated, but I suspect you will be happy.  Please keep us informed.  Sorry for your bad luck.  Always frustrating.

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 08:55:06 pm »

I had a question, and called Fuji New Jersey shortly after my 120mm lens arrived (about two weeks ago).  The technician immediately took ownership of my issue, was a GFX user himself, and talked with me for about 5 minutes about Fuji's commitment.  I will be interested to see how you are treated, but I suspect you will be happy.  Please keep us informed.  Sorry for your bad luck.  Always frustrating.

How long have you owned the lens?

fotagf8

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 10:22:58 pm »

How long have you owned the lens?

I called the day it arrived.  It seemed a bit noisy, and I wanted to find out whether that was normal.  The lens must've gone through a brief break in period.  I wouldn't call it quiet now, but it certainly is much quieter than it initially was.  I used it over the weekend, with good results.

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 08:16:49 pm »

I called the Fuji repair center in New Jersey to enquire if there might be something I could do myself to bring the lens back from the dead. After asking several specific questions and then checking with someone else, it was clear that I'd have to send it in.

Shipped out today. We will see what they say next week when they receive it.

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 09:25:20 pm »

I called the Fuji repair center in New Jersey to enquire if there might be something I could do myself to bring the lens back from the dead. After asking several specific questions and then checking with someone else, it was clear that I'd have to send it in.

Shipped out today. We will see what they say next week when they receive it.

When did you buy the lens? Within the last 30 days? I would not have returned a lens for service that failed that quickly. I would have demanded an immediate replacement.

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 02:42:04 am »

As I noted in this thread, I had problems with my Fujinon 10-24. I just updated the thread to reflect that I did get the lens back, after a month, fixed under warrantee. Can't say I was impressed with the turnaround.

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 07:33:35 pm »

When did you buy the lens? Within the last 30 days? I would not have returned a lens for service that failed that quickly. I would have demanded an immediate replacement.
You would certainly be as free to do as you wish were our roles reversed. However, that lens was giving me excellent results right up to the point where it failed. I'm hoping the issue can be resolved without altering the optics at all, but we shall see.

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 07:19:10 pm »

Fuji received the lens, apparently verified that it was, indeed, dead and immediately replaced it with another. Repair status went from "In Progress" to "Shipping" in about 3 hours. Shipped out next day air. Got it today.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 07:55:54 pm »

Glad to hear they are on the ball.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

RPark

• Raymond Parker Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 02:06:41 pm »

That is service. Wish they'd have been as quick with my lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up