Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help with some flower images  (Read 1148 times)

KMRennie

I need help with some flower images
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:00:44 am »

Flowers are definately outwith my comfort zone but they looked so nice in the Spring sunshine so I had to have a go. Any hints or tips? Taken with a Nikon 70 - 200 f4, I don't take enough close up images to justify a macro lens. The images are not tack sharp either because they were moving in the light breeze or the lens is not at its best at minimum focus distance. The Damson blossom is a 3 image focus stack. I have applied a tiny bit of soft focus to mask the lack of critical focus. Ken

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: I need help with some flower images
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 09:58:20 am »

All I can say is: your flower pix are much better than mine. And I do have a macro lens. But getting down there at their level, and waiting for both lack of breeze and the right light (simultaneously), is really difficult, IMHO.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:59:01 am »

Some random thoughts...

You've certainly given yourself the hardest challenges to start with -- flowers in situ, and white blossoms in bright or dappled light! There's a reason Mapplethorpe, Penn and others did studio shots of flowers. I like that you've found dark and distant background for the first shot. It's terribly difficult with some smaller blooms, like the second. And delicate blooms will move with the slightest of breezes (don't exhale!). The worst I've encountered is the white Trillium in Ontario. First, it's "protected", so you can't pick one and bring it home. Second, it's always poking up through unattractive brown forest detritus. Finally, the surrounding trees almost always provide dappled light unless it's overcast.

I know one dedicated flower guy who has built himself a portable screen made from three garden stakes with semi translucent fabric between them. He uses it to block the breeze, and sometimes to soften the direct light, or provide a soft, reflected fill. It's light and portable (he just rolls them up). I haven't tried that, but I have used the translucent screen from a 5-in-1 reflector to soften harsh light, and the reflector to fill in shadows or even to provide a reflected main light. However, I've been much more successful bringing tulips and irises and other blooms inside to photograph. And I've found that some blooms are just as interesting as they die back, as when fresh.

I use macro lenses, but I know that some people have excellent results from good quality close-up filters (e.g. Canon 500D).

IMO, I don't think that the "soft filter" effect has compensated for the lack of sharpness in these examples. I have applied a 'glow' to some sharp images, but this is the opposite situation. I think you need a dominant focal point for the eye that is clearly in sharp focus.

Flowers! Who knew they could be so challenging?

KMRennie

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 04:17:03 am »

Thanks Eric and John. I may try an old translucent white flash umbrella as both light softener and wind break. Ken

BAB

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 10:53:19 am »

Wind will kill you, blown highlights will kill you, distracting backgrounds and you need to make many more stacks or move back with a longer focal length lens.
I have built a black box in the past around the flower and used different color background diffused light is a must exposed just before .02% overexposure in any one channel as not to blow out one of any of the three RGB channels.
Then use fill for the drama, I suggest alternative could be portable lighting ex diffused led panel easy to carry it will dramatically improve you lighting.
Have fun shoot from many angles. Typical flower focus stacks could easily be 60 -100 images
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 10:14:50 am »

For Nikon cameras, I think that a great lens for close-ups of not too tiny flowers is the Zeiss Distagon T 25 f/2.8 ZF2 (not to be confused with its successor  f/2). I found it in mint conditions at 550 euros.

P.S.  Even at f/22 It behaves very well in natural light and incredibly well with flash lighting. Obviously I assume that you are interested in photographing flowers in their natural environment.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 11:06:50 am by muntanela »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 05:47:42 pm »

The 55mm F3.5 Nikkor and the 105mm F4 MF Nikkor lenses from the 70s are my go-to lenses for flower images.  Either of them can be had used for about $150 and they are among the sharpest lenses I've ever used. I've made 42" wide prints with both these lenses. VR and AF are redundant for most macro shots, IMHO.

Total agreement on bringing them in to "the studio", whatever your studio happens to be.  We can generally improve on what Mother Nature gives us in terms of lighting and background.
Pages: [1]   Go Up