Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What software will suit me best  (Read 8055 times)

flyfishman2010

What software will suit me best
« on: April 08, 2017, 02:53:22 am »

Hi,
I am new to digital photography. I recently purchased a Fuji X-T20 and the 18-55 and 55-200. I come from the Deardorff 5x7 zone system darkroom days. I am a little daunted by the software offerings. I don't think I need any of the photo cataloging features. What I want is flexibility to 'improve' the image. So, do I go with Lightroom or Capture One?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: What software will suit me best
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 04:39:55 am »

I don't think I need any of the photo cataloging features.
You will.
If you get on top of cataloging and keywording from the start, you'll be very grateful in twenty years time.
Worth looking at the "Digital Asset Management: Where the #%*! are my Pictures?" https://luminous-landscape.com/videos/digital-asset-management-pictures/ video on this site. It will give you an insight as to why cataloging is so important to get right from day one.
What I want is flexibility to 'improve' the image. So, do I go with Lightroom or Capture One?
Both are excellent and have trial versions available. Give each a try and see how you get on.
Again there are many great video on this site and others that will help you get up to speed with digital image editing if you're new to it.

degrub

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:17:22 am »

another issue to research here is the workflow and conversion of the Fuji raw files for processing.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 11:27:44 am »

You'll be perfectly fine with either Lightroom or CaptureOne. Niche players might produce slightly better results with Fuji files but really aren't worth the effort when you are just starting out.

I agree with Rhossydd's comment about cataloguing. The less time you spend asking "Where the #%*! are my Pictures", the more time you have for taking and using them.

John

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 12:19:07 pm »

Using Lightroom's search function I am able to locate a single image among 70,000+ in the blink of an eye, whether by keyword, lens, f/stop, day, date, time, etc, etc, and so forth. This is absolutely invaluable. Also, Lightroom, Photoshop, and I suspect C-1 though I have not used it, allow almost unbelievable "improvements" even with well exposed images. I have made many foolish statements in photography, such as "I'll use film and the darkroom until they don't make materials anymore," I'll scan and and print digitally forever." Time has proven them wrong, for me at least. You're getting good advice, especially about starting careful keywording NOW, think about you'll do it before you do it. Consider also The DAM Book, by Peter Krough, at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/DAM-Book-Digital-Management-Photographers/dp/0596523572/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491668064&sr=8-1&keywords=the+dam+book, helpful guidance to organization. Shortcuts in organization tend to come back to bite you.

Take advantage of the software's 30 day trials, try whatever but remember the ultimate learning curve is longer than 30 days. Seek advice from photo colleagues. Rhossydd has excellent advice.

Welcome to the Fuji club and enjoy your new toys. Digital forever changed photography for me, for the better. Good luck.

BAB

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 03:16:14 pm »

If your ultimate goal is to produce a print of a great image you'll need several choices. Photoshop, Lumezia, Color Efex 2 (free) and Lightroom would be my starting suggestions. They main thing for you now is to have software that automates processing while you can take the time needed to get over the learning curve of new software implementation.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

BradSmith

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 04:19:34 pm »

re:  Lumezia
I've never heard of this and a Google search didn't come with it either.  What is it and where can I learn about it?

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 04:55:59 pm »

If you don't like to pay a monthly fee, you might consider PhotoLine. It has everything from DAM to editing, 60 €. If you're an amateur, that covers both the Mac and the Windows version. This is a full fledged alternative to Photoshop. Add Raw Therapee (free) as the raw converter.

I have no affiliation to the authors.

Good light!

Rhossydd

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 05:51:24 pm »

If your ultimate goal is to produce a print of a great image you'll need several choices. Photoshop, Lumezia, Color Efex 2 (free) and Lightroom would be my starting suggestions.
There's really no "need" for more than Lightroom or Capture One, either will do almost everything the majority of photographers will ever need.
A pixel editor like Photoshop (or any other, cheaper, editor like Affinty photo/photoline/Gimp/etc) only really becomes necessary when attempting complex compositing or sophisticated layer based operations. Not really what the OP was asking for.
They main thing for you now is to have software that automates processing while you can take the time needed to get over the learning curve of new software implementation.
An interesting PoV that I wouldn't agree with. Automatic processing rarely gets anything correct. A competent photographer will find the basic controls easy and fast enough to use to get decent results on either of the packages that the OP has shown an interest in.

flyfishman2010

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 10:26:59 pm »

You will.
If you get on top of cataloging and keywording from the start, you'll be very grateful in twenty years time.
Worth looking at the "Digital Asset Management: Where the #%*! are my Pictures?" https://luminous-landscape.com/videos/digital-asset-management-pictures/ video on this site. It will give you an insight as to why cataloging is so important to get right from day one

WOW, thanks for the insight. I watch the whole series on Lightroom cataloging. I learned a bunch and can appreciate how useful it can be. My grandson just turned 1. I can appreciate the keyword "smiles".

flyfishman2010

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 10:37:32 pm »

You'll be perfectly fine with either Lightroom or CaptureOne. Niche players might produce slightly better results with Fuji files but really aren't worth the effort when you are just starting out.

I agree with Rhossydd's comment about cataloguing. The less time you spend asking "Where the #%*! are my Pictures", the more time you have for taking and using them.

John

I'd like to thank all of you for your comments. This going to be fun! I guess I need to replace my 8 year old PC before trying out photo software.

Toby

Rhossydd

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 03:29:09 am »

I guess I need to replace my 8 year old PC before trying out photo software.
That will certainly make it a less frustrating experience.
A fast CPU, 16gb ram, SSD drive for the system (normal HDD is fine for photo storage) and you're getting there. Don't worry about fancy expensive graphics cards, they're for the gamers and won't help static image processing.
Windows 7 or 10.
Very importantly, a good colour accurate screen.

Blue439

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 04:02:42 am »

Hi,
I am new to digital photography. I recently purchased a Fuji X-T20 and the 18-55 and 55-200. I come from the Deardorff 5x7 zone system darkroom days. I am a little daunted by the software offerings. I don't think I need any of the photo cataloging features. What I want is flexibility to 'improve' the image. So, do I go with Lightroom or Capture One?

I can fully understand your viewpoint. Personally, I am quite familiar with computers and using software for various tasks. However, having always worked with Photoshop (and its developing module CameraRAW), I was quite unsure about Lghtroom toon when time came to move to it for reasons having to do with Photoshop being moved by Adobe to subscription status (I won't go into details which are irrelevant for now).

The cataloging part, of which so many people seemed so full, was also daunting, as I, just like you, didn't think I needed it, being otherwise quite well organized.

However, you can absolutely use Lightroom only to develop your RAWs, without having to use any of its cataloging features. Personally, the move to Lightroom was quite easy, once you understand where are the main buttons that you need initially ("Library", "Develop", "Import", etc. There aren't more than a couple) and when to click on them, because for the rest (the processing of the RAWs itself), Lightroom is quite easy and intuitive to use —and, which was important from my viewpoint, looks and works very much like CameraRAW).

I recently looked at another software called Affinity Photo, which also seems quite easy to use, but their database of lenses is still much too small, and therefore I stuck with Lightroom and Photoshop.

I never do any cataloging with Lightroom, and I'm just fine.

Rhossydd

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 04:31:36 am »

Well you are now, but when you're twenty years further into your photography will images still be easy to find ?

The point about 'cataloging' is putting in place a system that will allow you to find things easily in the future.
It really is no great difficulty to create a logical file structure to work with, then when importing add some keywords and add ratings as you work through the images.
Once you've established that sort of protocol it'll be easy to take advantage of the searching options and powerful features like smart collections.

Tony Jay

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 04:50:01 am »

Lightroom's entire raison d'etre is organisation.
Lightroom is not 'just' a repackaged Adobe Camera Raw.
The library module, not the develop module, is the core of Lightroom.
This you are ignoring.
If you think your OS-based folder system will do the trick then just use Adobe Camera Raw and don't waste your money.

Tony Jay

Rhossydd

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 05:17:12 am »

If you think your OS-based folder system will do the trick then just use Adobe Camera Raw and don't waste your money.
From Dominque's post, it would seem they've moved away from PS/ACR because of the subscription issue.

But I totally agree that ignoring the power of the library catalogue and it's tools is missing a lot of the point of LR.

(The same can be said for Capture One too, although it's not so well featured for DAM as LR IMHO)

AnthonyM

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 01:42:47 pm »

Many Fuji users find LR suboptimal in certain circumstances, particularly foliage.  Googe Fuji watercolour effect.  Other convertors do a better job.  Many like Iridient, which gives excellent results.  I was a fan of Photo Ninja for several years, but now find that ON1 Photo Raw gives great results.

This thread may be of interest.  http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=114743.0

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2017, 02:13:37 pm »

Lots of great recommendations...here's one more.

I have also come from a large format, full wet darkroom experience. I can highly recommend Lightroom for virtually all your needs. I no longer use Photoshop and do not need Silver efex for B&W - Lightroom, once you really learn it, does everything for high IQ prints in colour and B&W. And v6 is still available in standalone if you don't want to buy into the Adobe ecosystem. Standalone is working just fine for my needs.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2017, 03:09:41 pm »

I don't think I need any of the photo cataloging features.

I agree with you although I know that I am in the minority here.  Most non-pros don't need a DAM, they simply need a decent folder/file naming scheme: the search features of the operating system are just fine for finding images based on keywords or camera/settings (I use the search box in Windows Explorer, e.g. 'easter 2015 isospeed:1600 camera:D610).  It's then much easier to move files around between different systems/computers/drives if you have to.

Jack

Rhossydd

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 04:18:49 pm »

the search features of the operating system are just fine for finding images based on keywords or camera/settings
?? This doesn't make much sense. to me.
Both Lightroom and Capture One will need the files imported into them before you can work with them, so why not use the asset management tools built into them ? Keeping everything in a single package just make the workflow much easier and elegant.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up