Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rodenstock Sironar Digitar or Schneider Digital XL better for shifting?  (Read 1660 times)

drewharty

Hello,

Are Rodenstock Sironar Digitar or Schneider Digital XL better for shifting in the 35mm to 47mm length?

I've tested my Rodenstock Sironar Digital 45mm and 55mm lens. The 45mm can only shift 5mm horizontally without any magenta fringing. At 10mm a magnet fringe is very apparent. It can rise 10mm with no fringe and 15mm with only a light magenta fringe. The 55mm performs about 5mm in either direction better and is an overall sharper lens.

Does anyone have any experience shifting the Schneider Digital 47mm XL? How would it compare?

Thanks, Drew Harty

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

As I recall the Rodenstocks in the range you have listed only have a 70mm IC and thus will not allow for much shifting.

Both Schneider 35 and 47mm have larger IC and will allow more movements.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JoeKitchen

I use the 55mm and regularly shift 20mm without issue.  After that I do get sharpness falloff, but if I work at a high aperture, it starts to disappear. 

Below is a macro image I shot with the 55mm.  I did crop it to a 4x5 ratio, but besides taking some off of the top, it is full frame.  I am shifted about 25mm and about 6 inches from the subject. 

I got a little fringing, not anything I could not take care in post though. 

Since this lens was never designed for macro work, I think the fact this image held up so well says a lot ... or maybe I lucked into a good copy. 

Yes, their real Cubans and pretty damn good!   ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 08:28:37 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

drewharty

As I recall the Rodenstocks in the range you have listed only have a 70mm IC and thus will not allow for much shifting.

Both Schneider 35 and 47mm have larger IC and will allow more movements.

I think the image circle size you are remembering applies the Rodenstock HR lens. The Sironar Digitar 45mm has an image circle size of 125mm @ f/11. The 47mm XL has an image circle size of 115mm. What I don't know is how these numbers apply to actual lens performance on a digital back, given the different lens' designs.

Drew

drewharty

Hi Joe,

If you are referring to the Rodenstock Sironar 55mm, I definitely agree. My 55mm performs better than my 45mm, both in terms of sharpness at the center and when shifted even though it has the same image circle size as the 45mm.

Drew

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net

Yeah, that 55 is killer. It isn't changed much from the film version. I was chatting with Marten from Arca about it and he agrees it's top notch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up