Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leap into the void  (Read 841 times)

N_N_Nikmat

Leap into the void
« on: April 04, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »

Some experimentation with flash and rear curtain sync.

Thoughts?

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Leap into the void
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 07:12:58 am »

The composition, elements, concept are great  all around. I would look at bringing just a little "warmth"/color to skin tone areas and maybe in horizon area...a little too silvery and washed out. Bringing some tone to figure would make it stand out just a bit. Leveling horizon possibility here and also just cropping the bottom half/1/3 +/- to bring more focus to subject and "the action"
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:45:22 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:13:27 am »

Rear curtain sync is an exciting and fun technique to experiment with.

It does, however, work better when the background/foreground is dark and the target is light.  As you can see in your shot, you had what is in effect a double exposure concerning the model's legs and the water patterns.  Balancing the lighting in rear curtain sync is the tough part.

Keep it up though.  You can get a different and exciting look using rear curtain sync!

You got the composition right!
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

N_N_Nikmat

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:51:51 pm »

Thanks for your feedback.

It is definitely difficult to balance the light! Especially during the sunrise and with a moving target that won't stay still!

But I love the challenge and that's what keeps me coming back.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 08:00:40 pm »

Shutter speed is the problem. With front curtain you'd have had the reverse of what you see here, with the water on top of the kid instead of the kid on top of the water
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

N_N_Nikmat

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 08:06:55 pm »

Shutter speed is the problem. With front curtain you'd have had the reverse of what you see here, with the water on top of the kid instead of the kid on top of the water

I suppose I was using a slower shutter to get some motion blur from the jumper.  Is that what you mean?

I did use rear curtain sync so the motion blur comes after the jumper and not in front of him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up