Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Baryta paper be mounted in physical contact with glass?  (Read 2803 times)

mcrepsej

• http://www.iversenfoto.dk
Can Baryta paper be mounted in physical contact with glass?
« on: April 04, 2017, 03:23:16 am »

Can Baryta paper be mounted so the paper is in physical contact with the glass. It's not face mount I ask at.
If yes, how long time the paper have to dries before framing?

dhachey

Re: Can Baryta paper be mounted in physical contact with glass?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:27:18 am »

I think we need more details before answering.  Printer, paper, ink (not all baryta papers so are the same)?  Many inks contain some nonvolatile solvents that may transfer to the glass over time, so this is a tough question to answer.  Time to experiment...

JeanMichel

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 12:12:37 pm »

The simple answer is: NO. There is no way to avoid ripples, eventual fogginess, and so on. You may find some small inexpensive frames with 'no-glare' glass (etched glass) the are meant to hold the print against the glass.

mcrepsej

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 02:38:07 pm »

It's Canson Baryta Photographique 310 gr. and Epson 9900 printer.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:23:30 pm »

Just wondering why you are wanting to let it touch the glass ... do you have a specific thing you are trying to do?

Personally I think it is best to avoid letting an inkjet print contact the glass or acrylic when framing.  Lots of ways to avoid it, from thin spacers that are pretty much invisible to matting.  I also use cloth liners with the glass in front of the liner.  Creating a fairly large space between the glazing and the surface of the print allows the viewer to see the print with less effect of the glazing surface.

mcrepsej

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 03:40:47 pm »

Personally I do not want other inkjet papers than the mat in contact with glass, but I have a discussion with a colleague how far as possible without causing problems. ;-)

jrsforums

John

disneytoy

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 03:53:44 pm »

I find the Baryta surface pretty delicate compared to other papers. I wouldn't.

schertz

• Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 03:55:00 pm »

I've have put several prints from a Epson P600 on Canson Baryta Ph. into frames directly pressed against the glass for up to 6 months. All the prints were stored to dry for at least a couple of days, if not longer, before framing. I've seen no sign of any deleterious effects such as sticking to the glass, discolouration, distortion/rippling of the paper or fogging of the glass from outgassing. The photos get changed out a couple of times per year to liven up the space.
I realize that this is not best "archival" practise, but I'm not under the illusion that any of my photos are fine art, or worth more than the paper they're printed on. They're just short term decoration. If, I was selling stuff or when I'm trying to preserve more important memories I prefer to properly mount and mat photographs. chacun à son goût...

Mike

JeanMichel

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 04:00:21 pm »

It's Canson Baryta Photographique 310 gr. and Epson 9900 printer.

Since you are printing on a 9900 I gather that your prints are fairly large. Even if it was desirable to sandwich a large print against a large piece of glass or acrylic, there is simply no way to ensure that the print and glazing be gapless over the entire surface. If you do not want an overmat, then you can simply use a spacer to separate the print from the glazing. To avoid most unwanted reflections, use either museum glass or Artless from GroGlass(I use that), or an equivalent acrylic product.

mearussi

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 05:22:28 pm »

Just keep it away from any direct exposure to sunlight as sunlight will cause moisture to condense inside the frame and glue the print to the glass. But if you do insist on not using a mat or spacer then I'd suggest switching to a luster type surface since the rough pebble surface would be less likely to adhere itself to the glass over time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up