Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One start point for long-time minimalist  (Read 1751 times)

MartinMartin

Capture One start point for long-time minimalist
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:19:51 pm »

Hi. New to Capture One. I shoot to print (phone works for social media.) Current file organization is basic Windows Explorer by date and event name, with one or 2 subs. I cull shoots heavily so total images are not excessive. ACR through CS5 has been satisfactory, but C1 conversion beckons. Also, I finally made peace with editing on my laptop and I'd like to work off of Dropbox (where I've replicated my Explorer structure.) So far I've been playing-while-learning, --super pleased with images ---making a big mess of files and folders.

Others who've done what I think I want to do?  Suggestions for these early stages.
Thanks

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: Capture One start point for long-time minimalist
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:08:22 am »

---making a big mess of files and folders.

Yeah that's usually the problem with multiple workflows. Some things to consider:
How do you want to catalog your images and what program do you want to use for that purpose? Explorer, Dropbox, Bridge, Lightroom, Capture One? Since you shoot to print, I would think one of the last three might have an advantage.

How do you want to utilize Capture One? All image development or a few select images that you can't seem to get the way you want through ACR? Or something in between? That's a big factor, and something that may be tough to answer initially.

Do you have a preferred print path? If you always plan to print through CS5, then it seems to me Bridge should be your "control room", exporting tiffs through Capture One when necessary.

Those are the initial questions I suggest you think about, then structure the filing workflow to fit your preferred path.

Dave

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 12:13:26 pm »

Make sure you check the tutorials on C1 in the video section of this site.  You can pick chapters that are relevant to what you need.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

MartinMartin

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:21:35 pm »

Appreciate the two posts above. Exactly what I needed to take a deep breath and slow down.  C1 tutorials (and today's webinar) very helpful but from my early look at the Luminous vids, the more deliberate pace of the discussions/tutorials suits me better----plenty of "how to do it" but more "how to think about it." Certainly justifies the big bucks I spent on a subscription :)  Have to admit I've been lurking since my Coolpix 990----and a succession of D's. 

And speaking of slowing down, last few years I've transitioned to Leica---now, an M9. I've read some Leica users' crankyness about C1 not playing so well with Leica. That something I should know about?

cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up