Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The best camera for my needs  (Read 2020 times)

Harry

The best camera for my needs
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:52:16 am »

Hello Luminousati

I am considering an upgrade from the Canon 5D mark 2 for several reasons and wanted suggestions from you on the best choices. Switching brands is not a problem.

Needs:
         - Reasonable depth of field in low light F5.6ish  for interiors, early morning shots of moving people - yoga, dance
         - Rapid accurate auto focus away from the pointing direction. Focus on a human subject at the periphery of the frame. Do I need face recognition if not        looking through the camera?
         - Low noise in low light
         - high resolution for advertising and landscapes
         - quiet shutter
         - modern flash compatibility for studio work
         - no need for video

Truthfully the 5D mark 2 is great. But its autofocus and low light performance are a pain.

I have looked at the 5D mark4, and higher resolution SONY and Nikon Cameras.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: The best camera for my needs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:19:23 am »

Have you considered an upgrade to the 1DX mk.II? It ticks all your points, except maybe quiet shutter: it is quieter than normal, but not as silent as an electronic shutter which will lower your dynamic range anyway so it may not be worth the trouble for you.

You already know the system and have the lenses, so the upgrade will be quite seamless. 20MP are plenty for advertisement as long as your pictures are sharp. You could go for a Nikon D810 or Sony a7RII for more pixels and a slight dynamic range advantage, but you will be sacrificing the AF performance and switching to a new system which may give you a hard time getting used to.
Instagram (updated often)

hogloff

Re: The best camera for my needs
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 12:59:29 pm »

Have you considered an upgrade to the 1DX mk.II? It ticks all your points, except maybe quiet shutter: it is quieter than normal, but not as silent as an electronic shutter which will lower your dynamic range anyway so it may not be worth the trouble for you.

You already know the system and have the lenses, so the upgrade will be quite seamless. 20MP are plenty for advertisement as long as your pictures are sharp. You could go for a Nikon D810 or Sony a7RII for more pixels and a slight dynamic range advantage, but you will be sacrificing the AF performance and switching to a new system which may give you a hard time getting used to.

The eye AF system of the A7R2 is made for things like Yoga and dance as once locked on, you just have to worry about compositions and the camera keeps focus on the eye...no matter where in the frame that eye travels. I find it much better than either my 5D2 or 7D2 on focus acquisition and then keeping that focus as the subject moves around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up