Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper thickness setting on Epson printer  (Read 1898 times)

rxchaos

Paper thickness setting on Epson printer
« on: April 02, 2017, 02:03:08 pm »

I use an Epson P7000 printer and print via a RIP (Mirage) using custom icc profiles.  I mostly use Hahemuhle and Canson papers and ocassionally Epson.  Does the paper manufacturer's paper thickness mentioned in their spec sheet directly relate to the paper thickness setting on the Epson printer.  For example Canson Bartya paper thickness is 0.31. Does this suggest that I use a paper thickess setting of 3.  Hahnemuhle PhotoRag paper thickness is 0.48, should one use a paper thickness of 4 or 5?

Of course one can use the 'Detect Paper Thickness' tool from the printer's menu and print a pattern and determine the thickness.  I was trying not to do that.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

-c

howardm

Re: Paper thickness setting on Epson printer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:49:58 pm »

The Epsons measure in mm so for Baryta, you'd generally use 4 (you wouldn't try to get a 10' truck under a 9' overpass, would you?)

Ditto on PhotoRag.  You'd use 5 or 6.

rxchaos

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 06:12:09 pm »

The Epsons measure in mm so for Baryta, you'd generally use 4 (you wouldn't try to get a 10' truck under a 9' overpass, would you?)

Ditto on PhotoRag.  You'd use 5 or 6.

Thank you.  Nice analogy.

NeilPrintArt

• www.printartct.co.za
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 06:58:42 am »

There is a good article on the Breathing Colour website that has a section on setting Platen Gap and Paper Thickness on Epson printers
Though I would question the graph the have regarding weight and Platen Gap, but as they say, one needs to experiment

https://www.breathingcolor.com/blog/third-party-paper-printing/

Neil Williamson
Print Art Cape Town
www.printartct.co.za
Pages: [1]   Go Up