Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya ZD sample image  (Read 24504 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Mamiya ZD sample image
« on: August 06, 2006, 04:27:37 am »

I have posted a sample image from my Mamiya ZD here on pbase

http://www.pbase.com/image/64654543/original

I used Lightroom to decode the file.  In fact, since I first processed this image, I am inclined to think that Silkypix does the better job, but I like Lightroom's workflow.

Some slight processing in PS - a touch of sharpening and some NR on the sky.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

aaron

• http://
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 07:25:58 am »

Thanks for that Quentin, actual 'real' images from the ZD are a rarity. It certainly looks very impressive to me, I am no expert on medium format digital but the detail in your shot is incredible. The detail also seems very uniform from edge to edge which is more evidence of the quality of mamiya optics.
You mention that you applied some noise reduction to the sky, are noise levels high even though you are shooting at iso80 ? or is it that you were pulling back highlight detail?
The dynamic range seems very good too, you seem to have held the detail on the painted white metal of the bridge on the hull of the boats despite the strong lighting in the scene. (on my D2x i would be double exposing to maintain those white highlights).
Aaron.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:27:17 am »

Hi Aaron,

I always run a little NR on the sky, as its an area of uniform colour where even slight noise can show up, and there was a hint of noise (nothing you'd worry about).  

The 80mm is a very sharp lens.  Dynamic range seems very good - it was exteme in this shot but the camera seems to have coped well.  Overall I'm pretty happy  

Quentin

Thanks for that Quentin, actual 'real' images from the ZD are a rarity. It certainly looks very impressive to me, I am no expert on medium format digital but the detail in your shot is incredible. The detail also seems very uniform from edge to edge which is more evidence of the quality of mamiya optics.
You mention that you applied some noise reduction to the sky, are noise levels high even though you are shooting at iso80 ? or is it that you were pulling back highlight detail?
The dynamic range seems very good too, you seem to have held the detail on the painted white metal of the bridge on the hull of the boats despite the strong lighting in the scene. (on my D2x i would be double exposing to maintain those white highlights).
Aaron.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 01:36:54 pm »

Quentin,

That's very impressive. I've just been pixel-peeping some comparison shots between my faithful Canon 10D and my new 5D, so it was quite an experience to view your shot, and zoom in (on my browser), and in, and in, and in, ..., and keep seeing more and more detail.

Very nice.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 04:26:36 pm »

I hear that the ZD (or some 22mp product - the back perhaps?) is being launched in the US at Photokina, so I guess there will be more samples and review after that.  Until the recent rave review in Professional Photographer, UK version, recently, the ZD had hardly caused a ripple of interest on this side of the pond.  I purchased before I read the review.

Quentin

Quentin,

That's very impressive. I've just been pixel-peeping some comparison shots between my faithful Canon 10D and my new 5D, so it was quite an experience to view your shot, and zoom in (on my browser), and in, and in, and in, ..., and keep seeing more and more detail.

Very nice.

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72700\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 04:27:58 pm by Quentin »

Lester

Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 06:41:21 pm »

I really don't know why Mamiya is keeping the ZD in a very low profile. Yes Canon will probably go up to 22 megpix, but they are very different 22 megpix. We are comparing 35mm space to 6x4.5 space for the 22 megpix. 22 megpix camera will be good for 99% of the photographers, just how big do you want to print the image? or need to print. I have both the Canon 1DsMkII and the P45 and I do used the Canon about 85% of the time for my work. The P45 is great for fine art photographers or very large print out, it does have great details. The Mamiya ZD would be a great step-up cameras for those wanting a MF back.  
When I look at the ZD sample it looks great, with great details. In fact, it look like the P25 I used to have. Wait a minute, it is not true, my P25 has a magenta color shift at the right side.

I hear that the ZD (or some 22mp product - the back perhaps?) is being launched in the US at Photokina, so I guess there will be more samples and review after that.  Until the recent rave review in Professional Photographer, UK version, recently, the ZD had hardly caused a ripple of interest on this side of the pond.  I purchased before I read the review.

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72707\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 09:07:20 pm »

Quote from: Lester,Aug 6 2006, 05:41 PM
I really don't know why Mamiya is keeping the ZD in a very low profile. Yes Canon will probably go up to 22 megpix, but they are very different 22 megpix. We are comparing 35mm space to 6x4.5 space for the 22 megpix. 22 megpix camera will be good for 99% of the photographers, just how big do you want to print the image? or need to print. I have both the Canon 1DsMkII and the P45 and I do used the Canon about 85% of the time for my work. The P45 is great for fine art photographers or very large print out, it does have great details. The Mamiya ZD would be a great step-up cameras for those wanting a MF back.  
When I look at the ZD sample it looks great, with great details. In fact, it look like the P25 I used to have. Wait a minute, it is not true, my P25 has a magenta color shift at the right side.

Hi
The reason I bought the ZD was because it had the same chip as the Aptus 22. As for the price it sits in the middle between 35mm D and MFD backs. At 6000.00 pounds with a lens that is a very good price. When you shoot the ZD at iso 50 the file quality is amazing and could be even better with 3rd party raw processors.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Graham Welland

Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 04:04:56 am »

I hear that the ZD (or some 22mp product - the back perhaps?) is being launched in the US at Photokina, so I guess there will be more samples and review after that.  Until the recent rave review in Professional Photographer, UK version, recently, the ZD had hardly caused a ripple of interest on this side of the pond.  I purchased before I read the review.

Quentin

Quentin,

Long time since we 'spoke' online - thanks for posting a sample I can trust (and relate to) ... :-)

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with the ZD as I've been sitting on the fence myself waiting to see how this camera performs. I still have my 645AFD/Kodak 645M combo and I've been waiting to see how this might compare to the ZD - I would expect the new camera to be superior if for no other reason than it's a new generation of sensor and software. I know you had a lot of success with the Kodak 14nx which has many similar image characteristics to the 645M; how would you compare the look of the ZD images to those?

So far there's been scant feedback or information anywhere other than the bs 'reviews' which surprised me really.

Would there be any chance of you sending me a raw file to compare? I'd be interested to know how much post processing is needed for most images. I've been shooting DSLR with D2X's which produce great images straight from raw without much post processing. (cf. DCF files through DCS Photo Desk with Kodak looks).

Btw, did Robert White allude to how long they might be selling at the reduced price/kit?

Regards

Graham
Graham

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 04:14:19 am »

Very impressive sample indeed. No moire whatsoever, and a very high level of sharpness!

I would love to see how it handles moss and distant leaves, but it appears very promising indeed.

Considering how high def backs like the P45 still display painterly effects on some subjects with their native raw converter, the gap in resolution might actually be pretty small. I would be very interesting to see a rigorous comparison between the two.

Cheers,
Bernard

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 04:20:50 am »

Hi Graham,

To take price first, Robert White first dropped the price (pre-VAT) to 6,500, then to 5,995 on the basis of a "summer clearance" (which could mean anything).  If I was to speculate (and be a bit cynical), I'd say they might be trying to sell some stock before an anticipated announcement of a Canion 1Ds III with 20+mp that might hit sales later in the year.  Thats just my guess of course  

They had several to chose from, and I wanted to make sure I had a late serial number model, as the earlier ones had back focusing issues (there is a seperate thread about this here somewhere).

The file quality is superior at the pixel level to the Kodak 14nx.  There are fewer artifacts / xmas tree lights and no side-to-side colour shifts I can detect.  I am finally beginning to understand the PhotoStation raw software, and its not bad, but you can use Lightroom or Silkyix which both support the ZD.

the file I posted has had some post processing, but not much.  Specifically some colour correction, NR on sky and a touch of sharpening.

Happy to send you a raw file to play with if you want one.

Its a surprisingly nice camera to use.  After a little while it feels like a regular dslr.  I parrticularly appreciate the easy mirror-up function after using the workaround with the Kodak.

Quentin

Quentin,

Long time since we 'spoke' online - thanks for posting a sample I can trust (and relate to) ... :-)

I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with the ZD as I've been sitting on the fence myself waiting to see how this camera performs. I still have my 645AFD/Kodak 645M combo and I've been waiting to see how this might compare to the ZD - I would expect the new camera to be superior if for no other reason than it's a new generation of sensor and software. I know you had a lot of success with the Kodak 14nx which has many similar image characteristics to the 645M; how would you compare the look of the ZD images to those?

So far there's been scant feedback or information anywhere other than the bs 'reviews' which surprised me really.

Would there be any chance of you sending me a raw file to compare? I'd be interested to know how much post processing is needed for most images. I've been shooting DSLR with D2X's which produce great images straight from raw without much post processing. (cf. DCF files through DCS Photo Desk with Kodak looks).

Btw, did Robert White allude to how long they might be selling at the reduced price/kit?

Regards

Graham
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=72726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 04:23:26 am by Quentin »

Graham Mitchell

Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 05:09:40 pm »

Thanks for posting the sample, Quentin!

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 12:28:27 pm »

I have added a sample macro shot here

http://www.pbase.com/dougas_freer/image/65081388

ericevans

Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 07:03:41 pm »

I like the shot with the river in it . Color looks close to that of the Leaf . I really hope that the buyers of Mamiya stick with the ZD as it looks promising . I would like to see some shots at iso 50-100 done at f/8 and around 6 seconds so I can see how this Zd handles noise in the shadow areas . I bet it is about the same as the Aptus in this area . Got any shots like that Quentin ?

Paul Jameson

Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 10:19:23 am »

That food shot is amazing and seals it for me that this is an exceptionally capable camera. Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:19:48 am by Paul Jameson »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 10:08:05 pm »

Quentin

Hi
I have noticed that Mamiya ebay listings are down to 70-80 in the past few weeks. It used to be 95-120. This week a 55-110 zoom went for $540.00 USD what a deal for glass of this quality. If they launch the ZD back they should price it at 4000 pounds. We shall see it is only a month to go.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

kevin f

Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 11:31:16 pm »

Great to see some nice samples. I can't wait to get my hands on this camera. I have been shooting fashion and beauty for 18 years, and have just moved back to my home town, and made the change over to a high end portrait studio.

I was used to shooting Hassy or Mamiya with a phase one back. It was always rented, so dropping 30-40 k for a portrait studio seemed like overkill, so I went with a dslr set up. I just hate it. I have been hoping for a Pentax 6x7 digital, but this looks like it will do nicely. The price seems to be in line too.

Waiting to see one here in the states soon, I hope.

Thanks again for the samples.

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 01:34:40 pm »

That food shot is amazing and seals it for me that this is an exceptionally capable camera. Thanks for sharing!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73533\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

paul, i can only recommend not to judge any DSLR/digital back by a web jpeg...as much as i like the food macro shot, you could shoot the same scene with a digital rebel and the 100macro and you would not see the difference on the web...in print or raw the difference will be very obvious, but not as a jpeg...

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 06:11:38 pm »

good to see someone happy with this zd camera.. i really think this kind of quality is more than enough for many users..and that is good.
I would be very interested to see the quality of a 40x30 inch (100x75cm) print from one of these cameras as that is what I like to do with my personal work.
But whilst there are no good wide shift lenses for the mamiya (or other mf cameras) what is now needed is this quality and price but in a seperate mf d.back so that it can be also used on shift cameras for more architectural work as well as then putting it the most compact medium format slr you can find.
this set up won't be as 'walk around' as the zd, whcih is a real shame, but at least you will get this digital quality on two camera set-ups.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 06:13:30 pm by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

bcroslin

• http://www.bobcroslin.com
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 12:18:56 pm »

Just curious but did Mamiya get the ZD back shipped before shuttering for the transition or whatever limbo they're currently in? Any pre-Photokina word on whether Mamiya will show up?
Bob Croslin, Photographer
[url=http://ww

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Mamiya ZD sample image
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 09:12:02 am »

By way of a brief follow-up, I took the ZD to Kefalonia and (as a guest) took some shots of a friend's wedding I was attending there at 400 ISO in low light.  Eeek, I hear you say, but the files were very useable with a touch of judicious noise reduction, compliments of Neat Image.  The problem areas are in the shadows.  Mid-tones and highlights were reasonable.  No samples, sorry, as this was a strictly prvate function.  You'll just have to take my word for it  

Something else I have noticed and appreciate, coming from a Kodak dslr, is the good dynamic range and ability to recover overexposed images.  There is quite a lot of headroom to recover blown highlights, and its worthwhile trusting the blown hightlight warning on the rear LCD and not the appearance of overexposure from the preview image.  Exposing to the right is a good idea with the ZD as it was and is with the Kodak dslrs

Quentin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up