Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony to announce new 100MP and 150MP medium format BSI sensors in 2018  (Read 17519 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Sony to announce new 100MP and 150MP medium format BSI sensors in 2018
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2017, 09:20:12 pm »

I was responding initially to your talk of reviving 6x6 and 6x7, where we now seem agreed that these sensors based on lower-cost "LCD fab" are not very appealing.  Move that 500dpi up to 5"x4" and you get 2500x2000 = 5MP.  Do you see much appeal in that?
actually, if i had a cheap chassis that would revive my Lancaster Instantograph I would love it :)
there's a lot of old large format equipment floating around, and the images  from old large format gear look great, I used a lot of vintage plate gear when I was a kid, it was  all I could get where I lived, and I could develop and contact print with just dishes and a contact frame. It's easy to write of that old tech now, but like the Leica and Rolleiflex it was pretty effective at what people wanted to do, especially landscape, city architecture studies and studio portrait. 500 dpi and 20 Mp sounds like a decent contact print from an 8x10.

And then there's always the nuclear option of loading a large-format film chassis once the preview looks good. I think 8x10 mono film eg Hpx outresolves most 35mm cameras even nowadays and competes well in DR if you scan it and can live with some noise  :)

Interestingly, I see the same phenomenon in watercolor equipment, where some 100 year old palette designs remain highly functional and sought-after objects, and are even reproduced by craftsmen for new/old designs.

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:57:29 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up