Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What bag do you use to carry your system?  (Read 6985 times)

Rdmax

What bag do you use to carry your system?
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:49:48 pm »

Hi there,

Having a hard time finding a camera bag that fits a big system like P1 or Hasselblad... any suggestions on what's worked for you?

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
Re: What bag do you use to carry your system?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:08:26 pm »

I use the ThinkTank airport navigator. It holds an H5X with a back, 4 lenses and my H1.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/airport-series/products/airport-navigator

-Doug

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:37:53 pm »

I use a Mindshift Backlight 26L.  In it I can fit:

IQ260 on a sliding back
Arca Swiss RM3Di
Phase One XF Body (VF removed and wrapped separately) 
Three Lenses for the Arca body
Two lenses for the XF body
Bunch of Lee filters and filter holder
Battery charger
Sensor cleaning kit
iPad
Misc items

I did need to cut down and sew the interior dividers to get the Arca Body to fit, which I position laying down. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:13:58 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 04:46:36 pm »

Depends on what the job is...but generally I use a ThinkTank Airport international.  It holds a tech cam, H w/ sensor attached, and a bunch of lenses and other stuff comfortably.  I have also used smaller bags if it is just a quick shoot.  An Urban Disguise 60, or even the Retro 7 can hold a medium format body/sensor/lens just fine...without much else.  Backpack on rare occasions...the F-Stop Gear Pro medium slope and large inserts can hold a Hasselblad F just fine.  Still have room for a little extra kit too. 

If you have something as modular as an H system, ive taken it apart and fit it along with sensor and lenses in something as small as a small tenba insert.  Obviously ultra inconvenient...
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 06:12:12 pm »

If you want to hike with it I still haven't found anything more comfortable and useable than the f-stop backpacks.

If you mean for airports where rollers are an option, then I think it is hard to beat the wide range of Think Tank options.

Dave

SrMi

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:22:58 pm »

Hi there,

Having a hard time finding a camera bag that fits a big system like P1 or Hasselblad... any suggestions on what's worked for you?

I Use Mindshift 40L to lug a H5D and Leica SL system. Hasselblad 35-90mm, 150mm and 24mm can all be placed upright, thus leaving lots of space free. The smaller Mindshift 30L is also a good option but 35-90 would probably have to lie flat.

gss

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 09:09:54 pm »

If you're looking for a shoulder bag rather than backpack, my favorite is the LowePro Medium Format Commercial AW.  Unfortunately, it seems to be discontinued.  The Magnum 650 looks similar, so it may work.

Rdmax

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 10:37:48 pm »

I Use Mindshift 40L to lug a H5D and Leica SL system. Hasselblad 35-90mm, 150mm and 24mm can all be placed upright, thus leaving lots of space free. The smaller Mindshift 30L is also a good option but 35-90 would probably have to lie flat.

A bit off-topic but what do you use the SL for? Curious as I'm looking for a full frame solution to accompany the medium format.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 12:22:14 am »

Hi,

I use a Gura Gear Bataflae 32L. Can take an incredible lot of gear, fits overhead lockers in Canadair/Bombardier regional jet and weights about 2kg.

Best regards
Erik

Hi there,

Erik Kaffehr

beano_z

• f/13 photography
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 01:04:08 am »

Two days into the discussion and nobody has mentioned f-stop yet  ;D

Anyway, here's my suggestion, super light and super modular / flexible, however you want to call it.  I use a system of Tenba pouches in mine, which makes packing and unpacking sure easy and saves me from forgetting stuff from time to time.  When I pack, I just move the pouches from my dry cabinet into the bag, and do the reverse when I unpack after a shoot.  All the bits and pieces of accessories are already in those pouches stacked away between lenses and backs.

The good thing about the f-stop is that it doesn't look like a camera bag (which often says "steal me") and it also wears much more comfortable during longer walks and I've tried many photography dedicated brands to find out myself and came back to the f-stop every time.

The back opening design is also very handy, and I know this has been discussed many times, but I cannot emphasise enough, sure, it doesn't really matter if the bag is sitting on the pristine carpet of a brand new MiuMiu store, but when it's in the mud and snow, it sure make a huge difference (and I admit, I have a bit of OCD......okay, okay, I have severe OCD).

When traveling, I just keep everything in the bag and put the tripod in a small carry-on size suitcase together with my other stuff and just push the whole thing through the airport.  For longer trips, I'll put the tripod in my checked luggage and carry the f-stop on my back.

And some behind the scenes shots:

At the moment, I have a Tilopa with a modified Cine Master ICU inside for my ALPA system (rhigh now it fits the 12MAX body with 4 lenses and digital back).  Modified because I needed the depth in order to put the Max camera body sideways without it protruding into my back.

As currently configured, I would easily fit in the Phase One XF camera and 4 to 5 lenses plus filters, batteries and carious accessories.  On top of this, there's still space for my wallet, a fleece and a jacket.

Of course, being an f-stop, you could go for a smaller ICU or smaller bag to suit your needs.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 04:13:33 am »

I use a bunch of Lowepro stuff: ProRunner 350 AW, and old Elite III, Event Messenger 250 (I use it as daily driver, I always bring my Nikon FM2 around even on work trips).

Very solid stuff, I don't treat my bags with care when in the field yet they all still look like new. The Elite III has surprised me especially, that bag is as old as me!
Instagram (updated often)

Eric Borgström

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 05:10:11 am »

I prefer to limit what I carry. In a Billingham Hadley Pro I can fit the essentials.
To a Hasselblad 500 C/M with a CFV-50c back I can ad 3 lenses (80mm, 250mm and a wide angle 30mm or 40mm). The Hardely also accomodates an iPad, cards, filter, extra batteries and other odds and ends.

Counts as a carry on camera bag when flying.

And it looks nice…

/Eric

michaelclark

• http://www.michaelclarkphoto.com
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 10:42:35 am »

Hi there,

Like others here, for those times when I need a backpack, the F-Stop Anja has been the best option I have found. The Large Pro ICU is very customizable and fits my H5D with a lens on it just fine and can also carry three other lenses (including the massive 50-110mm zoom) and accessories in the ICU. That leaves the rest of the pack for other items.

When I am rolling, I opt for the Pelican 1510 hard shell case and have the TrekPak dividers in it which really helps organize things nicely.

Cheers, Michael
Michael Clark Photography
http://www.michaelclarkphoto.com

torger

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 11:19:55 am »

I use an F-Stop Satori Exp, now replaced by the slightly larger Sukha model. F-Stop as a company have had some management problems and failed to deliver bags. I don't know what the current status is now though, but I would recommend to make sure that it's "in stock" before ordering.

What I like with the F-Stop backpacks compared to many others is the flexible ICU system and that the backpacks have many design features of hiking/climbing backpacks, that is more designed to actually be used long days out in nature rather than just being carried around on an airport. Still there are compromises though, with 10 - 12 kg gear the carry comfort is not as good as a well-designed hiking backpack. The key problem is that the hip belt cannot be designed to offload weight as much as that would make it more bulky and partially block the ability to get that big opening in the bag you need for the camera gear.

I don't carry the tripod on the F-Stop, but rather hold it in my hand or over my shoulders. The tripod with head is almost 3 kg, and it makes the bag awfully unbalanced if attached to it.

For the times I need to bring camping gear along, I take out the ICU from the Satori and load it into a huge military backpack designed to carry 40+ kg (due to my limited fitness I try to stay below 25 kg though :) ). In that case the backpack is big and heavy enough to load the tripod without getting bad balance.

Anyway, say what you want about medium format, but it's a good motivator to stay in reasonable shape...

Joe Towner

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 12:52:41 pm »

Anyway, say what you want about medium format, but it's a good motivator to stay in reasonable shape...

I feel like a pack mule some trips, no matter the bag.
t: @PNWMF

jng

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 05:02:44 pm »

I feel like a pack mule some trips, no matter the bag.

I know the feeling. I'm just now trying to sort out how I'm going to carry my MF kit on an upcoming trip. I am partial to my f-stop Tilopa w/large ICU (which leaves some room at the top of the main compartment for a jacket etc.), but schlepping it through the airport together with another carry-on bag isn't so appealing. Then I discovered that the large ICU fits just about perfectly in a 20" rollaboard, with just enough clearance to add a few stray items along the top plus some extra padding above and below. I'll pack my backpack with clothes etc., strap the tripod to the side of it and stick the whole thing in a rolling duffel, which will go as checked baggage. When I get to my destination, I'll unload the pack, move the ICU (w/gear) into it and be ready to go.

John

SrMi

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2017, 03:04:25 am »

A bit off-topic but what do you use the SL for? Curious as I'm looking for a full frame solution to accompany the medium format.

I need a backup camera for H5D in case it breaks or stops working temporarily. I also like to have a second camera that is more portable and easier to use handheld than H5D. That camera should also be usable in inclement weather. I have been using Nikon D810 and Sony A7rII as full frame complement to H5D, but for landscape I prefer Leica SL.

camgarner

• cgarnerphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2017, 10:25:21 am »

If I'm traveling internationally and want to make sure that I can carry my camera bag on I use a Gura Gear Bataflae 26.  I can pack my XF100 with the 40-80 zoom attached and the 150/3.5 on one side and my Nikon 810 with the a 24-70 mounted and a 70-200/4 on the other side.  I then carry a small roller briefcase (I can stuff more stuff in it) that I can attach the camera bag to for easy transport through the airport.  So far, I have always been allowed to carry both items on the plane.

algrove

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2017, 11:15:51 am »

Two days into the discussion and nobody has mentioned f-stop yet  ;D

See post #4
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:29:59 am by algrove »

algrove

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2017, 11:29:06 am »

OP
Not sure what you mean by the word "finding" so that is why you are getting suggestions all over the map.

I use my TT Airport International for XF+100, 240, 35, 55, 110 150 and 2x plus Nisi filters and holder and lots extras like the Smart-Flex L bracket for airplanes or where I can roll my gear to a shooting which is rare for me. If traveling then I stuff small clothing into my f-stop Loka packpack with ICU(s) for field work and it also takes all the gear I mention above. Sure heavy, but it holds it all. Not having much luck with hiring Cherpas, but always looking.

As an addition if I head into the field with a light load then I can put my XF+100+35 in one sdie and two 72mm lenses (or the 240 lens) in the opposite side using the TT Speed Racer which attaches to waist and/or shoulder or both for weight distribution.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:55:12 am by algrove »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up