Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikkon AM-ED 210mm and El Nikkor 210mm APO  (Read 1188 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Nikkon AM-ED 210mm and El Nikkor 210mm APO
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:27:07 am »

I get ideas, same as all of us, and some of them are a little extreme or hard to realize, yet they stick in my head and keep prompting me to consider them.

One of these has to do with large-format lenses, and among those, the really oversize lenses as they might be used on a DSLR like the Nikon D810. And, of course, among those oversize lenses there are only a couple of Nikons that are true APO (apochromatic) lenses. And here I am talking about the Nikon AM-ED 210 mm f/5.6 and the El Nikkor APO 210mm f/5.6.

Now, how to mount them? I like my Cambo Actus very much and recently I added a 300mm focus-rail and accompanying 300mm bellows to the system, so that I could check out some of the exotic Nikkor and others lenses. And of course there are these two rather lenses that I particularly want to see what I can do with:

Nikon AM-ED APO 210 mm f/5.6.
El Nikkor APO 210mm f/5.6

I have copies of both these lenses in both 210mm and the more common smaller variety, 120mm for the AM-ED APO and 105mm in the El Nikkor APO. The 210mm versions are large, very heavy lenses, but they fit easily on the Cambo Actus, although I do try to use brass adapters.

The idea is the look through the center (where they are sharpest) of these large lenses with an FF camera like the D810 and perhaps have more of the center of the lens used and less of the corners of each of these lenses. These images are with the 210mm AM-ED APO lens. Soon I will hopefully also show you what the 210mm El Nikkor APO images look like.

Of the two lenses, the El Nikkor APO is the better corrected lens, with great style, but the AM-ED APO is also very nice.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:59:50 am by Michael Erlewine »
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine
Pages: [1]   Go Up