Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripping along  (Read 1122 times)

stamper

Tripping along
« on: March 31, 2017, 04:55:31 am »

?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Tripping along
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:35:44 am »

A great shot, Robert! I envy you the environment you're in. It's been a long time since I've been in the city, where scenes like these are available.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 12:25:09 pm »

It's too good.

You should sell a copy to "B"?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 12:25:51 pm »

You've found gold again, Robert!
Fantastic!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 04:47:11 pm »

There ya go!

-Dave-

francois

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 06:11:16 am »

Another winner… Congrats!
Francois

stamper

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 07:31:29 am »

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure if there was a connection between the mural and the two men but it seems to work.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 04:56:18 pm »

Most of all, it is funny, and God only knows why.

I think it is built on bent knees and straight legs first in line and then out of alignment.

A women swinging at the top of a tent is what such dudes would be thinking about or where they would be going. 

Their lateral momentum flows into the connecting lines of hoop, microphone wire, and taunt body of the pictured performer.  I think it is important that they were not standing still.

The stone work is great counter point and universal framing for this.

And your touch as an artist...

Bruce
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:09:12 pm by Bruce Cox »

stamper

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 03:46:51 am »

Most of all, it is funny, and God only knows why.

I think it is built on bent knees and straight legs first in line and then out of alignment.

A women swinging at the top of a tent is what such dudes would be thinking about or where they would be going. 

Their lateral momentum flows into the connecting lines of hoop, microphone wire, and taunt body of the pictured performer.  I think it is important that they were not standing still.

The stone work is great counter point and universal framing for this.

And your touch as an artist...

Bruce

Thank you.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 07:07:43 am »

For discussion's sake there needs to be a bit of a devil's advocate opinion:

Would this be the equivalent of 1980s sampling music? Where you just cut up other artwork and combine it into a collage of your own?

This image tells me why I didn't get the other image with the bike. There is a mural in urban setting without any text. Why is it there? And what is its purpose? The photo combines it with a cyclist. The mural is suggesting telephone communication, but the cyclist is not on the phone. The mural depicts a person yelling with an undefined disbelieve. What does the combination try to convey?

If it was an advertising shot for the bike for example, one could see a message like: everybody needs to hear about this incredible bike.

But it is not an advertising shot, and for "spontaneous street" it suddenly becomes a bit contrived. You can set up a camera and simply wait for any combination of subject + mural. That doesn't however, create a clear message. It is like combining pretty words, but not forming a well structure sentence.

It certainly could become an image with a clear message: say for example if you shoot a cyclist or motorist who is driving and texting at the same time, while the mural is yelling at the subject in disbelieve. That would have a distinct message and might make the audience think. The elements have "congruent" meaning together.

-----

The image above now tells me the context of the mural in the previous picture. It makes sense if you see the actual combination of the two. Of course, for purposes of your own art, you can choose to cut it up and combine it in a new image, but the question then becomes whether that addition makes sense in the new whole.

Otherwise it reminds me strongly of many of the 1980s sample based songs. That was cool when it first occurred and when done well it can create a new and beautiful piece of music, but unfortunately, as with most music, the average result is usually crap.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up