Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do you need medium format?  (Read 6867 times)

torger

Re: Why do you need medium format?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2017, 09:30:32 am »

To me digital medium format on a Linhof Techno lets me shoot in the style of a large format photographer, without having to mess with film.

I don't shoot professionally and have no intention to, but still try to deliver the best quality I can, artistically speaking. I have strengths and weaknesses. I'm not comfortable around people and I'm slow. A slow thoughtful type of photography alone with nature is my thing. I like to experience and create as much as possible of the final photograph at the scene, and use post-processing just for fine-tuning. A view camera complete with tactile movements is just what I "need", and I've even come to appreciate the ground glass for the directness (although as my eyes grow older I'm sure I'll eventually want that live view).

If speed and efficiency had been a top priority I wouldn't use medium format. In terms of image quality, I think the best 135 systems provide more than adequate quality today, especially when comparing to my old-school 50MP CCD. I won't deny that there is some satisfaction to having ultra-high resolution especially when printing big, but there's diminishing returns. If I would do huge prints of group portraits where you can walk up to the print and study individual faces I'd probably want more resolving power than I have. For the subjects I shoot today the image quality of my current gear is just fine.

( here's a look at what I shoot: https://www.anderstorger.se )

Joe Towner

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2017, 09:45:33 am »

Hi,

At least LensRentals requires an insurance:

Yes, for the RED and ARRI stuff, but for the medium format gear their Lenscap+ coverage should be fine for 99% of us.  Yes, other sites have various requirements, but there's always an option.  https://www.insuremyequipment.com may be enough. Thus why I put the whole finding someone local or an event for an initial hands on.
t: @PNWMF

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 10:06:40 am »

Hi Joe,

I live in a different country from yours with beautiful women
low salaries and few rental companies. Here you need to have a business to rent, period.I considered renting, it was more realistic to buy… which I did.

Best regards
Erik

Ps. i have cheated some, neighbour country Norway has just established a female ranger unit. But I have a former lady colleague in the Swedish Marine Corps (Amfibiekåren) and she is a killer chick, too. But the real Killer Chick is of course an American gal: http://www.badassoftheweek.com/kimcampbell.html

Yes, for the RED and ARRI stuff, but for the medium format gear their Lenscap+ coverage should be fine for 99% of us.  Yes, other sites have various requirements, but there's always an option.  https://www.insuremyequipment.com may be enough. Thus why I put the whole finding someone local or an event for an initial hands on.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:12:16 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

BJL

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 11:05:44 am »

I appreciate the answers about the factors in favor of "medium format" over smaller formats like 36x24mm, but most or all address the case a 54x40mm "full-sized digital medium format sensor" in a modular digital back, so that it is usable either with an OVF body or on a technical camera with shifts, tilts and such.

My follow-up question:
How does the reasoning change when it is a 44x33mm sensor in a body with an EVF instead of an OVF, as with the new offerings from Hasselblad and FujiFilm?

(BTW, one point I have not seen mentioned lately is flash sync at all speeds, offered by the leaf shutter lenses of some but not all MF systems.)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 11:17:51 am »

Hi,

44x33 is sort of Midway...

Hasselblad X1D and Fuji GFX may be on the way to establish 44x33mm as a new "standard format". It may make some sense, especially for large print sizes.

Design a good system around 44x33mm and it will cover a great range of needs.

Best regards
Erik

I appreciate the answers about the factors in favor of "medium format" over smaller formats like 36x24mm, but most or all address the case a 54x40mm "full-sized digital medium format sensor" in a modular digital back, so that it is usable either with an OVF body or on a technical camera with shifts, tilts and such.

My follow-up question:
How does the reasoning change when it is a 44x33mm sensor in a body with an EVF instead of an OVF, as with the new offerings from Hasselblad and FujiFilm?

(BTW, one point I have not seen mentioned lately is flash sync at all speeds, offered by the leaf shutter lenses of some but not all MF systems.)
Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 11:27:05 am »

With the new 44x33 cameras the prices has gone down significantly as well, at the same time the high res 135 with supporting lenses are not exactly cheap. The reduced price gap means that people don't need the same type of convincing for those systems. It's huge difference in price between a Fuji GFX and a Phase One XF 100MP.

Joe Towner

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 12:21:51 pm »

I live in a different country from yours with beautiful women...
Hey Erik,

Absolutely, but I wouldn't piss her off, she may shoot to injure rather than kill. 

Yes, location absolutely matters, thus asking where RDMAX is at, and any vacations planned.  I tend to chat with fellow photographers when I'm out and about, and have more than a few times offered up a shot with my Hass.
t: @PNWMF

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2017, 01:56:53 pm »

So far none of the 44mm systems that are in a fixed body, x1d, gfx, Leica s, 645z, have been able to meet my needs for the photography in the areas that drew me medium format. 

I would love to see a tiny body with evf work for me... but until then a tech cam, laptop, and modular setup with leaf shutters has the advantage. 

I can see in the future 44mm potentially taking the place of the high end 36mm sector.  This assumes 23mm and 17mm mirrorless cameras reach a focusing level that equals the sports cameras.  My own personal work has been a mix of between m43 and mf...nothing in the middle has offered anything extra.

I am curious to see where mp counts level off as we reach higher up though.  16 - 24 is a sweet spot for a good majority of users.  100+ is really too much for general photography.  I would never want to shoot a family birthday with a medium format camera at 50+ mp no matter how small and convenient the camera is. 

My follow-up question:

Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2017, 05:04:34 pm »

Overall my opinin remains that 33x44 isn't differentiated enough compared to the best 35mm systems.

It only really makes sense if you come from APS-C.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up