Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why do you need medium format?  (Read 6870 times)

Rdmax

Why do you need medium format?
« on: March 30, 2017, 09:31:07 pm »

See subject

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
Re: Why do you need medium format?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:41:00 pm »

Really big prints with incredible detail.

http://www.friedmanphoto.com

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:04:03 pm »

You don't need medium format. Just like you don't need 135 format, or APS-C format, or M4/3, or 4x5, or 8x10.

We all use what we want.

Dave

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 11:37:38 pm »

Because the images I sell to clients regularly use 15 - 20mm of sensor shift in order to make the view and perspective I am after.  I have full spherical panoramic ability with all my equipment but it's not the same.  And since I haven't found anything to deliver the same result, I fortunately or unfortunately have to a use a mf sensor on a Paleolithic box called a techcam.

;)
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

fotagf8

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 11:52:11 pm »

Because I see a pronounced difference with 35mm on my urban landscapes.  And I like the difference.  Others may not see it, and they are free not to use medium format.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 12:07:48 am »

There may be a need to distinguish ownership from usage? ;)

I use my MF camera when I have time to be part of the photograph because I like the great OVF and the image quality that can be achieved with a single frame.

When the best image quality is needed I stitch, and I am still not sure whether it makes more sense to stitch with the D810 or the H6D-100c all things considered.

Cheers,
Bernard

camgarner

• cgarnerphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 12:45:00 am »

It's simple for me - I print large and the files from for XF100 are more workable than my Nikon 810.  When I look at the 40x60 images I print, the difference between my Nikon 810 and my XF100 is significant to me.

Hank Keeton

• SeeingTao
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 12:52:16 am »

This really shadows remarks by others...but....if you haven't at least tried MF......you'll never know!

Give yourself an adventure......RENT a quality system for a week.....it won't break the bank....

You'll never look back...

Small sensors work fine for certain subjects...USE them for that...!!

Happy Adventuring...!!

Hank
....always seeking.....

SeeingTao.com

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 01:20:29 am »

I don't really need it. It does make my 44x60 prints look damn good though. Super sharp. Lots of detail. That and the tax write off. Either I pay money to the IRS or I spend it on an overpriced camera system. May as well do the latter.

John

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 01:25:56 am »

+1 on Hank, you really should find an experience, and based off that work backwards.  Once you start seeing the fine level of detail, and larger print sizes, the is no return.

Yes, i shoot Canon gear too, but really, when I travel, it's MF in my bag, when I shoot for clients, I shoot MF.  Part preference, part 'what will I see'.

100mp is just a different level.  I shot this with the H6D-100c http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/191683
Stitching 100mp will make most computers just cry, but it's worth it - with the -100c http://www.gigapan.com/gigapans/196210

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 05:03:44 am »

Hi,

You don't need medium format, what you need is gear that satisfies your needs. That gear may very well be medium format.

Renting MF gear is not a simple proposal, if you are not a professional photographer and don't have an insurance to cover it.

I have used some older MFD gear, Hasselblad 555/ELD and a P45+ back, but that didn't really work for my needs. I could use the back on a technical camera with a sliding back and a set of view camera lenses, but I never got there.

I have used that system for three years but stopped using it when I got my A7rII. The A7rII on my HCam TS Master II gives me +/- 15 mm of mechanical shift and 10 degrees of tilt with all my lenses. Would you use medium format that would correspond to +/- 30 mm of shift.

But, a real technical camera gives more options and if you print at 60"x40" there will be difference.

The Hasselblad X1D and the Fuji GFX may be excellent options.

So, it is a bit horses for the courses.

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:12:50 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

delfalex

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 05:44:46 am »

it is a bit horses for the courses.

For my work I need the level of detail and speed that Multishot sensors can extract out of the subject matter - currently these are only available (at a fully developed level) in Medium format.

If this weren't needed then I'd be using something else - as Eric says - Horses for courses;  start from the result you want to get and work backwards to find out what needs packing into the cam bag/s.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 08:40:02 am »

I don't need it but every time I look through a MF viewfinder I feel part of the scene and that's reason enough for me.
Instagram (updated often)

Bo_Dez

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 09:02:11 am »

Aside from the oft talked about image quality, for me, using Medium Format is a wonderful experience that makes the picture taking process much better. The viewfinder alone is a big thing. I like bigger cameras personally. The cameras themselves change the shooting process and each type has their different affect on not only that experience but results in the final product. It's an experience that creates a mind set that affects what you are taking, how you are taking it, and has physical aesthetic attributes that influence the viewer of the image.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 09:21:28 am »

Several reasons. 

Of course the IQ is nice. 

Moduler system that allows me to use the same image recording device on multiple camera bodies, all of which their pluses and minuses.  Keeps digital work flow more consistent. 

Being able to use a bellows camera with lots of tilt/swing and shift, which is a big plus for table top. 

If you are concerned about tilt and shift, there are many more focal lengths of higher quality available than in 35mm.  This is especially the case for table top where you tend to use longer focal lengths. 

For splash work, Copal shutters offer an instant capture whereas all DSLRs, even the P1 and Hassy bodies, have a slight delay. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:16:12 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

markhandy

• Mark Handy Photography
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 10:03:18 am »

It's simple for me - I print large and the files from for XF100 are more workable than my Nikon 810.  When I look at the 40x60 images I print, the difference between my Nikon 810 and my XF100 is significant to me.

I'm in the same boat. Quite simply, it's the right tool for the job.

drewharty

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 11:30:27 am »

I agree with Joe Kitchen. How you want to interact with your subject, or need to for a client, dictates the best camera system to use. For me, a digital back on a 6x9 view camera with a range of lens offers the most versatile, cost effective system for photographing a range of subjects that are important in my photography. A fast lens on an AR7II offers me a very different way of interacting wth a subject, which I also enjoy and benefit from.

I can see the difference between what a 28 megapixel or 50 megapixel backs can achieve in my 40" wide x 60" to 70" high prints, but, when I show prints at a photo review or at a museum, curators are not looking at that difference in quality. They are looking at what I have to say about my subject. That is tied somewhat to the high IQ medium format digital backs can offer; but, far more importantly, it is dependent on how any given camera system allows me to interact with a subject.

Drew
www.drewharty.com

Joe Towner

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 02:21:44 pm »

Renting MF gear is not a simple proposal, if you are not a professional photographer and don't have an insurance to cover it.

Actually now it's really easy to rent certain lines of medium format gear.  The Pentax 645D & 645Z, Hasselblad X1D and Fuji GFX 50S are available via Lensrentals.com, Lensprotogo.com and Borrowlenses.com among other social sharing platforms like ShareGrid.

I would actually suggest an event put on by one of the brands, to get a little hands on time, with instruction.  Yes, shooting it on your own out in the field will be better, but really, you want to hang around someone who knows what they are using.  The troubleshooting steps are fairly simple, but for an inexperienced shooter, it would be highly frustrating and would jade any user.

RDMAX, where are you located?  Are you planning any trips soon?  You've been asking a lot of questions as to why, or different platforms, or even film v digital across this and other LL boards.  It sounds like you need an hour or two with someone who already owns a setup, so you can understand their rational.  Also, tell us more about yourself, what you currently shoot & shoot with, and we can help fill in some of your questions.

-Joe
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:29:11 pm by Joe Towner »
t: @PNWMF

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2017, 12:31:20 am »

Hi,

At least LensRentals requires an insurance:

"Is a certificate of insurance required to rent certain items?

Unfortunately, yes. With several of our very high value professional items, there are additional requirements for rental. Occasionally, even if you don’t rent one of these items, but you rent a very large amount of equipment, there are also additional requirements.

In these cases, we ask you to obtain independent insurance, if you don’t already carry production insurance. We will need to have a certificate of insurance that covers rented production equipment for at least the replacement value of the items on your order. The certificate must name LensRentals as an additional loss payee.

We require this insurance even if you pay for our damage waiver. We do this because, with high value items or large orders, our primary worry is that some of our equipment might be stolen from you on a busy set or shoot. With the high value of these items, the amount owed to us if it gets stolen is more than most people can pay out of pocket. The insurance gives us some measure of security that if the equipment disappears, we’ll be compensated."

No problem for a professional with an existing policy covering rented equipment but no so easy for an amateur.

Best regards
Erik

Actually now it's really easy to rent certain lines of medium format gear.  The Pentax 645D & 645Z, Hasselblad X1D and Fuji GFX 50S are available via Lensrentals.com, Lensprotogo.com and Borrowlenses.com among other social sharing platforms like ShareGrid.

Erik Kaffehr

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2017, 08:12:01 am »

Sure, but even if you're not a professional, if you own a lot of gear a "professional" policy may be worth it. I am a professional, but my policy is under $1k/year for $70k in gear ins plus rental (I pay another $650 for liability coverage).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up