Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying with the Fuji GFX and an interesting discovery  (Read 3019 times)

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
Flying with the Fuji GFX and an interesting discovery
« on: March 30, 2017, 08:48:08 pm »

Took my new GFX with me to Chicago for a 2 day business meeting and never got the chance to take it out of the bag. However, on the flight back to Washington, we had a nice sunset:

My interesting discovery came after struggling to take the camera out of my small backpack under the seat in front of me in coach. When I put the 63mm lens on the camera, I apparently didn't seat it quite properly. It clicked, but I guess some of the contacts weren't quite aligned. This caused the camera to exhibit the following behavior:

1) The camera wouldn't focus either manually or automatically (duh)
2) The LCD image would not respond to changes in aperture, ISO or shutter speed.
3) Most oddly: the camera would not shut off without removing the battery!

After I experimented with many different solutions (worrying all the while that I had somehow broken my very expensive new toy while hauling it around), I eventually tried taking off the lens and putting it back on, which brought the camera back to normal. Whew!

After breathing slowly to come down from my almost-panic attack, I had fun using the swiveling LCD to allow me to shoot images without having to contort myself into a pretzel in the coach seat.

I imagine most of these types of images are shot using small cameras like the Olympus Pen F I usually carry with me. Wonder if this is the highest-resolution out-the-plane-window image of a wing ever taken? ;-)

stonebird

• Travel and Wild Photographer
Re: Flying with the Fuji GFX and an interesting discovery
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:03:53 pm »

Nice shot.
Alpa MAX • WA • STC • TC | Arca RM3DI | HR23 HR32 HR50 | SK120AA SK210 | IQ250 • P45+ | Travel and Wild Photographer

drewaltizer

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 09:48:22 pm »

Nice clean window. Mine are always a mess

Rdmax

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 12:06:33 pm »

cool shot

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 02:17:58 pm »

I had much the same lens/body coupling issue with the first D-SLR I owned and the very first time I used it. Hmmm, this isn't starting off very well… Removing & remounting the lens did the trick. In the 14+ years since it's never happened again.  :)

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up