Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T2 Firmware v. 2.00  (Read 1786 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Fuji X-T2 Firmware v. 2.00
« on: March 30, 2017, 07:13:55 pm »

Once again, I think Fujifilm deserves to be commended for adding significant new functionality in its version 2 firmware upgrade for the X-T2 (with similar improvements for the X-Pro2).  I was particularly pleased to see the new auto-ISO mode that varies the minimum shutter speed as a reciprocal of the focal length of the lens and the ability to store copyright information as part of the EXIF metadata.  Arguably, these features should have been included in the initial customer release of the camera—they're not exactly radical innovations—but their presence in this latest firmware rev is yet another demonstration that Fuji does listen to its customers.  The entire list of changes is available here.

I was a little disappointed in the new LCD "view mode," however.  You now can blank the rear LCD except for chimping—previously, if you used it to display images, it was impossible to disable it from firing up with a live image whenever you backed away from the eye-level viewfinder—which has the potential for significantly increasing battery life.  But the new feature only allows it to be used for chimping: when that mode is activated, menus are no longer visible except in the eye-level viewfinder.  I don't know if that reflects a technical issue in the way the firmware interacts with the hardware or just a bad design decision.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Re: Fuji X-T2 Firmware v. 2.00
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 01:41:19 pm »

I did the update yesterday with no problems and love the improved bracketing. I am puzzled by the auto iso though, or maybe I'm just doing it incorrectly.

In the past, I chose three shutter speeds, e.g. 1/60, 1/125, and 1/250 and put the auto iso on a button; I'd choose which setting I wanted to use based on the shutter speed needed for the shot and the camera would choose an ISO. It worked well since the X T-2 has quite good high ISO image quality.

With the new firmware, if I set the shutter speed to "auto" it gives me a minimum shutter speed of the reciprocal of the focal length, not always helpful with a non-stabilized lens at 16mm in a low light situation. It does not seem to increase the ISO to the maximum set. Outside, where it likely does not matter, it is fine.

Most of the time when I have these problems it is my own fault. Am I doing something incorrectly this time too?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Eric

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 04:27:22 pm »

I really appreciate the new T shutter speed that can be set up to 15min.  That's awesome for me as I really don't enjoy shutter releases.  I prefer using the 2 or 10 timer to start things.

The new bracketing features seem like a fresh breeze of air.  Flexibility at last!!!!

Strangely enough I think I will also enjoy the new voice memo setting.  I got used to this with my 1-Series Canon DSLRs and missed it.

I'm also going to enjoy the new Focus Lever Settings - I will be using "push to unlock" to avoid having the focus point in some bizarre place because I fat fingered it accidently.
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 05:32:50 pm »

Took a risk and installed it the morning when I was leaving on vacation. So far no major issues. The focus joystick did give me a little grief as I couldn't move the focus point and couldn't figure it out why until a quick search revealed that it can be locked.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 05:39:58 pm »

Eric, check this video for your question.

https://youtu.be/bdeOx0J_HCk
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up