Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Belfast, Northern Ireland in early May  (Read 1857 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Belfast, Northern Ireland in early May
« on: March 29, 2017, 09:44:01 pm »

Hi all,

I will be traveling for business to Belfast in early May, staying near downtown. I will have about a week maybe less of work, with evenings free and then I was planning on taking a few days to go do photography. I have never been to Ireland at all. My wife has not either and she will be accompanying me. And my work is ok with that and me taking some extras days. So where to go? Places to see? My wife is also interested in photography and will be dabbling at things while I am working. We both have an interest in folk and local music as well as other kinds. We are generally not up to super long hikes, not being all that young any more. I was thinking of renting a car for a few days, would love to go to the Giant's Causeway etc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, if anyone wants to meet up please let me know. I will be there for some or even most of the first two weeks in May, in the next few days the schedule will be better known. I like any kind of photography and will be traveling somewhat light, we both have Fuji systems and some light travel tripods. Wish it was all pleasure but it is a great opportunity for both of us.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Belfast, Northern Ireland in early May
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 05:59:31 am »

I was there too briefly, but I recommend Giant's Causeway and the N Antrim coast.

Maybe book a black cab tour of Belfast's murals? You might have to book one tour for each side of the sectarian divide, I don't know, but I'd bet it would be fascinating and allow you to capture a very distinctive aspect of the region.

Photos of the dark hedges at Ballymoney often win competitions, but the hedges are now in Game of Thrones too. Apart from landscape photography, my guess is that it might be interesting to photograph fans and the show's impact on the area.

But I was in N Ireland so briefly, and I'm sure others will have better ideas.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 09:13:38 am »

Thanks John. The Giant's Causeway is on my list, I am probably going to hire a car, for at least a few days.

Thanks again,
Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 10:53:51 am »

Yes, I read that and should have said I was confirming it is worthwhile, Alan, and that area of coastline looked good when I passed through. I remember being impressed by The Glens.

Maybe consider hiring an automatic? When you're driving somewhere strange, and on the wrong side, it helps if you don't try to change gear by grabbing the door....

John
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:58:13 pm by john beardsworth »

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 04:17:12 pm »

:) Thanks John, that is also on my list. And something I already thought of. It has been probably 10 years since I last drove a stick shift. I think it is going to be a good opportunity for me, and certainly easier on the budget having a chunk of paid for already. I wish I could spend more time but I am going to make the best of what I can, it looks like such a target rich area. I have never been to any part of Ireland so it will be a nice change. We will go to some local pubs as well in the evenings.

The cab mural tour is also something we are going to do. That sounds really interesting.

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Richard Morwood

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:01:17 am »

Hi Alan
I live near Belfast and work there several days a week. I have sent you a pm with my contact details. It would be nice to meet up and give you some ideas for your stay.
Regards
Richard

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 12:06:38 am »

Thanks Richard, I did respond. Looking forward to it.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up