Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any savvy Onyx RIP users here at LULA?  (Read 1944 times)

Stephen Ray

Any savvy Onyx RIP users here at LULA?
« on: March 29, 2017, 08:06:57 pm »

Any savvy Onyx RIP users here at LULA?

I’m asking here at Luminous Landscape before I head elsewhere such as PrintPlanet or others. I find many photographers to be “critical path” thinkers as opposed to many printers whom I find to call the ink color magenta, red or cyan ink, blue.

Questions will mainly involve media model calibration and re-calibration using Onyx.

TIA.

ZOG

• http://
Re: Any savvy Onyx RIP users here at LULA?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:45:01 pm »

Yes, I use production house...

Andre

Stephen Ray

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:00:37 pm »

Hi Andre,

As you may know, Onyx uses the marketing phrase “Print, Read, Next” for their print media characterization method. They do, in fact, acknowledge their simple steps are meant for average shop employees to achieve reasonable results and they suggest more sophisticated users may use their support plan. Therefore…

1) Do you typically use the Onyx-provided media models and their “Print, Read, Next” method and consider your printer(s) characterized or do you take your efforts to a higher level by creating your own media models and calibrating to certain gray scales and values and possibly, maybe the G7 system?

2) If you make a print of the Onyx-supplied test file using just calibration but without an ICC profile, is the the print gray-balanced and does it match among your multiple printers which use the RIP? (Onyx provides this test print option during the media set-up procedure.)

3) If a designer were to ask, can you provide them with your preferred CMYK and RGB color spaces along with your rich-black, and medium-gray values?

4) If you have multiple printers of the same model using the same ink and media, are you able to share the same ICC profile among them?

5) Do you tend to use an original ICC profile for a very long time (a few years) because you can keep your printers in a stable state or do you tend to generate new ICC profiles (more than 1 per year) to compensate for color drift?

Answer only what you care to. (Please know these questions are only for my personal research. I’m not selling anything. )

Thanks in advance!

Stephen Ray

ZOG

• http://
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 12:42:53 pm »

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. I use Production House with Epson printers Aqueous and Eco Solvent (all different printers). I don't consider myself an expert in color management. Far from that... Haha.

Here are my different ways to use the RIP:

Depending on the media, I try to get a profile from the manufacturer. It's a hit and miss solution. Second, if the results are not satisfying, I will create my own media profiles.

The profiles tend to be good for a very long time (years). Unless I have printhead issues, which I had lately. I created a new temporary profile to compensate with very good results. Maybe I'm just lucky with those machines...

I use the media manager and use all their steps other than creating the actual profile. (Media length step is very important). The create my own profiles, I use i1 Publish pro 2. It's the best solution so far. Not always perfect. You can create different types of profiles using contone, stochastic and others. I mainly use contone. It's a lot easier.

I do not get consistent results creating my own profiles. I still have to figure out why. Some times the results (profiles) are just amazing, sometime they are pretty poor and I have to redo. (Which takes a long time.) I will then different settings (Stochastic).

I print most of the time from RGB files and get a better color gamut. My greys are very neutral this way.

I f you find a place for good training (unbiased) please tell me. I would also have a lot of questions...

Thanks.

Zog
Pages: [1]   Go Up