Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yousuf Karsh web site  (Read 2056 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
New Yousuf Karsh web site
« on: March 28, 2017, 02:15:15 pm »

Just noticed this...

Julie Grahame
has been working on a new web site for Yousuf Karsh, master photographer of the 20th century Julie is the licensing agent for Karsh works. I don't know her but I admire the work of Yousuf Karsh...

I remember a TV show about Karsh that I saw a long time ago. He used string attached to his lights to set his main and fill lights intensity and ratio and didn't like using a light meter :~)

Iconic images and a fun little guy to listen to–there are a number of videos to view from the web site.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: New Yousuf Karsh web site
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 02:19:18 pm »

Thanks!  I remember a 60 minutes profile of him, maybe in the 1970s.  He discussed his approach to portaiture and lighting.  His images are always striking.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 02:45:25 pm »

Fascinating. Thanks, Jeff. By a strange coincidence, I was reading about his famous portrait of Churchill only yesterday.

Jeremy

bdkphoto

• http://www.brucekatzphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 03:10:05 pm »

Just noticed this...

Julie Grahame
has been working on a new web site for Yousuf Karsh, master photographer of the 20th century Julie is the licensing agent for Karsh works. I don't know her but I admire the work of Yousuf Karsh...

I remember a TV show about Karsh that I saw a long time ago. He used string attached to his lights to set his main and fill lights intensity and ratio and didn't like using a light meter :~)

Iconic images and a fun little guy to listen to–there are a number of videos to view from the web site.

Thanks, its a great new site for Karsh's work. Julie's an old friend and one of the great people in this business. 

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 03:44:06 pm »

Just noticed this...

Julie Grahame

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info and links. Karsh is one of my favorites, and I have several books about him and his work. Always a joy to look at his work.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 04:45:13 pm »

Thanks!  I remember a 60 minutes profile of him, maybe in the 1970s.  He discussed his approach to portaiture and lighting.  His images are always striking.

That 60 minute interview is available for viewing from the web site! But it's not the one where he uses string to set his lights...

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 10:32:46 am »

Thanks for the heads up. The historical value alone is worth the existence of that website.

Totally love the Jean Sibelius portrait: It's not about the eyes, it's about the ears...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 12:04:48 pm »

Just noticed this...

Julie Grahame

Is nothing sacred?

Before I owned a flashmeter (a huge aluminium box Bowens was my first one) I used to use a string with two knots in it clipped to the support of the monobloc. The first string was for full-length shots and the shorter knot for portraits. The girl would stand on her mark and hold the long bit of the string against her tummy; for heads, she'd hold the short knot to her chin. With standardised film usage it worked a treat, every time, and was infinitely more dependable than the old Bowens ever was!

I still have a version of that string in the cables box. Never used it since leaving the UK, but I brought it out just in case (instead of all my negatives, which was really bright of me).

Just logical. You could use logic with film; it didn't cheat and hide behind technicalities few understand or believe.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up