Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fake Canon, Nikon etc  (Read 1818 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Fake Canon, Nikon etc
« on: March 28, 2017, 02:18:50 am »

Further to comments on fake Canon branded batteries in another post (identified because they won't charge in the new Canon chargers or work in new Canon cameras), I would like to make readers aware of the market in fake Canon range products. I have just come back from Hong Kong and visited a significant size camera store on Nathan Road, one of the main streets in Hong Kong. They had a huge range of Canon and Nikon equipment. It all looked very genuine and the staff appeared to know their stuff. I was interested in a 50mm 1.2 L lens. These are currently selling for $1300 USD at B&H. I later saw them for 12000 HKD in the Canon centre not far from this shop.

After much banter this lens was being sold for 5000HKD. Very tempting but then the staff go into story about why I shouldn't buy this lens and instead buy a Zeiss. The bottom line is that I did buy the Zeiss because it appeared to be a much sharper lens, probably because it was real.

So if you are going to buy something from a non Canon retailer then be aware that it may be a very good copy. If you are in Hong Kong or a similar place then only buy from retailers in major retail complexes. Also make sure that you have Internet to check prices.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Fake Canon, Nikon etc
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 03:48:58 am »

This being said the Zeiss is much sharper, but sharpness has never been the point of the 50mm f1.2. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Fake Canon, Nikon etc
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:08:47 am »

I've seen a fair share of fake Sandisk SD and CF cards, some copies must've taken a lot of work because the packaging was identical (except some little things were in different places and the quality of fine text wasn't always great). Of course the biggest indication is when a UHS card doesn't have the extra contacts!

I only buy from reputable stores, but they told me anyone can buy a lot of fake stuff without problems from Sunsky and other similar stores.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1]   Go Up