Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad X1D - First Impressions  (Read 38605 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Re: Hasselblad X1D - First Impressions
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2017, 08:23:29 pm »

Hi Michael,

Congrats on the new camera and glad to read that you like it!

I was 99% sure you would wait for the D820, so it comes as an interesting surprise.

Cheers,
Bernard

Well, it's not over yet! I have returned many a system because I did not love it, but in this case I believe I really like the X1D and can put up with the features that make no sense to me, etc. I still may find something that is a showstopper, but I have crossed the main bridges to my work, IMO, and it still looks pretty good. The image quality beckons me, which I did not find with the Pentax K1 or the Fuji GFX. It is these kinds of features where we can agree to differ, and also find our differences. As they say, "Horses for Courses."

And it is so elegant!
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2017, 08:32:26 pm »

P.S. I also had a little "Come to Jesus" moment when I realized that the GFX, as nice as it is, was essentially an extension or continuation of what I have in the Nikoin D810, but in my experience not as good, and certainly not better than the D810, and note this phrase..."for my work." On the other hand, the X1D can't replicate what I do with the D810, so we really do have two different kinds of systems here, again: for my work.

And while the GFX points to an extension of my past, the X1D holds the possibility of liberation from that past to a degree, and my learning a bit of another song (photographically speaking) than just the one that I have been singing. So it is more promising IMO... and the color and lens sharpness is really something to see and use.

And I may still get the D810 upgrade when it appears. In other words, I now work with two different systems. 
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2017, 10:57:07 pm »

P.S. I also had a little "Come to Jesus" moment when I realized that the GFX, as nice as it is, was essentially an extension or continuation of what I have in the Nikoin D810, but in my experience not as good, and certainly not better than the D810, and note this phrase..."for my work."

Perhaps you've covered this elsewhere, if so point me in the right direction, but what do you see as the key differences between the X1D and GFX and how does that relate to the D810?

John

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 12:39:30 am »

Perhaps you've covered this elsewhere, if so point me in the right direction, but what do you see as the key differences between the X1D and GFX and how does that relate to the D810?

John

This thread is about our impressions of the Hasselblad X1D  so, although I mentioned the GFX, another thread would be more appropriate. And I may start one after I learn more about the X1D. But, in passing, I will mention one obvious difference between the X1D and the GFX, and that is that the GFX, via an adapter, can take Nikon F-Mount lenses, while the X1D, because it (at this point) only has leaf shutters, cannot take F-Mount lenses. So, my collection of exotic and industrial lenses, which work on the D810 and the GFX (although not to my satisfaction), do not work on the X1D.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 08:29:54 am »

Next question for those who know.

Since the X1D does not have a port for a wired remote, and I prefer not to use Phocus, I can use the inter TIMER set to 2 seconds. The problem is I want to set the Timer to go off each time I press the shutter release, so I can stack focus. I tried activating the time for 2 seconds, and saving the setup to C1, but it only works one time and then the timer goes back to not working unless reset. How can work around this?

And second, as for updates to the firmware, I cannot find where is says what version of the firmware I am currently using. It only allows me to check for updates and tells me there are none. How does it do that? Look for Wi-Fi. I have no idea, but I hope someone among you does.

Thanks in advance.

hubell

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 08:45:16 am »

Next question for those who know.

Since the X1D does not have a port for a wired remote, and I prefer not to use Phocus, I can use the inter TIMER set to 2 seconds. The problem is I want to set the Timer to go off each time I press the shutter release, so I can stack focus. I tried activating the time for 2 seconds, and saving the setup to C1, but it only works one time and then the timer goes back to not working unless reset. How can work around this?

And second, as for updates to the firmware, I cannot find where is says what version of the firmware I am currently using. It only allows me to check for updates and tells me there are none. How does it do that? Look for Wi-Fi. I have no idea, but I hope someone among you does.

Thanks in advance.

Camera Settings/Self Timer/When Finished. Set it to "Stay" and not "Exit."
Firmware is listed under General Settings/About.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 09:00:38 am »

Camera Settings/Self Timer/When Finished. Set it to "Stay" and not "Exit."

As to the "STAY," I find nowhere that is offered. Let me be clear. I set the timer to 2 seconds. and mark it active. Where then is the STAY option?

Ultimately, I want to put in in C1 or one of the custom user settings.

hubell

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 09:10:59 am »

As to the "STAY," I find nowhere that is offered. Let me be clear. I set the timer to 2 seconds. and mark it active. Where then is the STAY option?

Ultimately, I want to put in in C1 or one of the custom user settings.

In the Camera Settings menu, you will find the Self Timer submenu. In that submenu, there are two options under the "When Finished." section. "Stay" or "Exit". You want it to be on "Stay."
What firmware are you using?

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 09:18:20 am »

In the Camera Settings menu, you will find the Self Timer submenu. In that submenu, there are two options under the "When Finished." section. "Stay" or "Exit". You want it to be on "Stay."
What firmware are you using?

OK. Thanks. I did not know where to find it, but I did.

The version of firmware I have is V1.15.0.6541

But on the firmware site, it just says V1.15.0, so I don't know why they are not more specific.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:02:56 am by Michael Erlewine »

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 02:01:30 pm »

I'm noticing some pretty heavy vignetting with the 45mm lens. It's removable in Lightroom, but I'd expect a $3,000 lens to be more uniform in its exposure.

Image with only global density adjustments:

After lens compensation using the profile for the HC 50 f3.5 and moving the vignetting slider to 100.

John

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 02:43:19 pm »

John

still i like the first better ;)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

bbrantley

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 05:14:34 pm »

still i like the first better ;)

Me, too, but the vignetting makes it hard to stitch composites.  Hopefully they'll ship an accurate profile for these lenses soon for LR.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2017, 07:08:32 pm »

My First Impressions

Since it might be fun to hear some first thoughts on encountering the X1D, here goes. I am using the X1D and the 90mm, as regards how it relates to my personal workflow, which is all about close-ups, stacking, and mini-dioramas/landscapes. At first feel, I can say that the haptics are better than any camera I have ever used. Indeed, it is very elegant. It’s not too heavy and not too light, not too big and not too tiny. And it looks smaller than it feels when you pick it up.

I have been using Nikon digitals pretty much since the beginning. I still have my first DSLR, the mighty 6 Mpx Nikon D1x, which cost $5K. And all these years I have always had to tweak the color for this or that color cast. There are a lot of reasons why I find the X1D just the camera I need, but right up there near the tip of the top is the color. Right now I am shooting raw (of course) and developing using Adobe ACR with a sensor profile custom-created by Ming Thein. Even without his profile, the color is almost good-to-go. If I add the profile, there is just a gentle settling into even more delicate color. This makes the image color superb as far as I can see and much better than what I’m used to. What a treat after years of tweaking!

Although the lens I am using (90mm XCD) is not as sharp as my Otus lenses, it is quite sharp enough. Moreover, the total style or impact of the combination of color, sharpness, delicateness of color, etc. is better than what I can achieve with my beloved Nikon D810.

As mentioned, I am not used to being treated to such pure corrected color, with less not having the guess work or attempts to remember what a particular shoot was supposed to look like. This alone would endear me to any camera.

I have taken enough close-up photos at this point to confirm to myself that getting the X1D was a great decision on my part. There is no doubt in my mind that the color that comes out of this camera is much closer to reality than I get from my Nikon D810. Much better.
I am amazed at how little post color-work has to be done with the X1D images.

And I (thanks to some help here) managed to wrestle myself into being able to get a little of what I want out of the camera today. I did some focus-stacking with the X1D and results are very promising, especially what I call “short stacks, stacks of.4-5 layers. But shining through that is the simple fact that with the X1D, a single shot, with some preparation on my part, is so good that I may not need to stack all that much. I wonder what I will do with all the time I’ll save.

The BLACKS are not as good IMO as those in the D810 (ISO 64), but they are just fine. What so far is most amazing to me is the roll-off for the WHITES/highlights. There is (much like a long focus-throw, to use an analogy) a very wide bandwidth to pull down the highlights, much better than the D810, IMO. Much better. This is good news because harsh highlights are hard to “make pretty.” In fact, this is VERY good news for my work.

And the sharpness (90mm lens) is fine, good enough to satisfy my demands, which was a big worry for me. And the color is as I like it, gentle, not too saturated and with no trace of the HDR look about it.

In short, I have satisfied my worst fears and doubt that I will be sending it back, as I have many other systems, except the Nikon D810. It has some quirks and some things that I just can’t like at all (like the lack of a 4-way controller), but I tell myself to be grateful and heaven knows I am used to suffering all kinds of bad design for the sake of a good image. And the X1D has that, and even better than I could have hoped.

I will perhaps have more notes in a few days.

rent

• Alex Jiang Photography
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2017, 07:47:07 pm »

I had the same concern with the 45, vignetting, and panos. And yes, my 45 has same kind of vignetting like Juanito's at max aperture.

While I haven't done any serious panos yet, stitching bunch of handheld f/8 shots in LR produced no visible issues, to my surprise. I don't know what kind of sorcery LR does, but it works.

Alex

Me, too, but the vignetting makes it hard to stitch composites.  Hopefully they'll ship an accurate profile for these lenses soon for LR.

bbrantley

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2017, 09:40:27 pm »

While I haven't done any serious panos yet, stitching bunch of handheld f/8 shots in LR produced no visible issues, to my surprise. I don't know what kind of sorcery LR does, but it works.

Interesting.  I shot a three-shot pano with the 45 yesterday, overcast daylight scene, and the edge vignetting was plainly visible in the result.  Maybe LR "gets it" sometimes and not others, or maybe it was related to the projection I selected.  (?)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2017, 04:29:34 am »

Interesting.  I shot a three-shot pano with the 45 yesterday, overcast daylight scene, and the edge vignetting was plainly visible in the result.  Maybe LR "gets it" sometimes and not others, or maybe it was related to the projection I selected.  (?)

Light fall off correction with dedicated pano software such as PTgui or Autopsno has been standard and flawless for 10 years or so... ;)

Cheerz,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:48:46 am by BernardLanguillier »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2017, 09:11:45 am »

Questions about the X1D:

Is there a way to turn Live View on and have it remain on? It keeps turning off, which is a hassle.

How else is Live View turned on other then pressing the shutter-release half-way down?

Is there an AC adapter for the X1D?

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2017, 01:59:31 pm »

Questions about the X1D:

Is there a way to turn Live View on and have it remain on? It keeps turning off, which is a hassle.

How else is Live View turned on other then pressing the shutter-release half-way down?

I haven't figured out a way to keep Live View on. That would be a great option for a future FW update if there's not some double top secret setting that already does that. There's also no AC adapter. The camera is always going to pull power from the battery even if you're tethered.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2017, 02:05:07 pm »

I haven't figured out a way to keep Live View on. That would be a great option for a future FW update if there's not some double top secret setting that already does that. There's also no AC adapter. The camera is always going to pull power from the battery even if you're tethered.

Look under "Power & Timeouts," thanks to a note from Ming Thein. And there is no AC-Adapter for the X1D at this point.

This is the best camera I have ever used, so far. Here is a single shot with the 90mm lens. Don't mind the variation in the background, which is just a wrinkled piece of black velvet.

rent

• Alex Jiang Photography
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 02:43:13 pm »

##My comments below

Alex

Questions about the X1D:

## I'm not sure if the value specified in General / Power & Timeouts / Display Off affects live view. I'm under the impression live view timeout is a set value. Need to test to verify.

## Another thing I noticed was, especially having the camera in portrait orientation, it's really easy to accidentally turn off live view when your left hand is over the EVF eye sensor (when you try to pinch zoom, etc).

## As far as I know, the only way to turn on live view is half-press shutter while EVF eye sensor is not blocked.

## Nope
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up