Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji Hvlp and BC Timeless Glossy  (Read 1510 times)

barry685

• http://www.barrystudios.com
Fuji Hvlp and BC Timeless Glossy
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:02:40 am »

I have a Fuji Super 4 Special edition compressor with a Fuji spray gun. Im not sure what model the gun is,  but it is not a gravity feed model and is discontinued. The Spray nozzle is gold and says Fuji 4H on it. I have no experience with this equipment. I have been trying to spray BC Lyve matte canvas with timeless gloss, and so far I am not getting good results. Generally spray is to dry and not glossy enough.
Do I have the right nozzle? Can someone suggest a starting position for the front nozzle control and the rear knob (amount of turns)?

Thanks

Malcolm Payne

Re: Fuji Hvlp and BC Timeless Glossy
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 01:35:44 pm »

Hi Barry,

The 4H nozzle is fine. Try the following settings as a starting point (I have the Fuji 4 Gold, so they should be very similar for you):

Airflow valve on the hose connector: open about 60 - 70 degrees
Front nozzle spray adjuster: fully open (full fan pattern), or nearly so; you want about an 8" width at 8" from the canvas.
Rear knob: about 1.25 - 1.5 turns open from fully closed (there's about a quarter of a turn before anything happens, so about 1 - 1.25 turns of spray)
Warm the Timeless to ca. 40 deg. C in a water bath.

I pin the canvas to a board about 15 degrees off the vertical, then spray one horizontal pass with the gun about 8" from the canvas, at 4" intervals at a speed of about 1 ft/sec, turn the nozzle through 90 degrees and repeat as a vertical pass, then reset the nozzle for a second horizontal pass offset from the first by 2".

Allow to dry to touch dry, then repeat for a second coat, again offsetting the passes from the first coat to get an even coverage. You may need to open the rear knob by a further 0.25 - 0.5 turns on the second coat if it's not quite wet enough.

The airflow adjustment on the hose is a fairly critical part of the equation, all parts of which are interdependent; too much air and the spray is dry with a lot of bounce-back, too little and the varnish doesn't atomise properly. You'll also get a dry spray if you spray from too far away.

No doubt there are other techniques that work as well, but that works for me and I get a nice even glossy coverage with no runs and no banding.

Hope that helps.

Malcolm

barry685

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 01:47:23 pm »

Regarding front nozzle spray adjuster. My spray gun does not have an adjuster on the side,  just the blue plastic  collar that keeps the  the gold nozzle in place. How much of a turn counter clockwise should that get? Are you diluting the timeless at all? Im not.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 03:07:36 pm »

The collar that hold the 4H cap in place should always remain tight, its only purpose is to hold the cap on.  If you loosen it you will probably get a bad fan pattern.

I have a Q4 as well.  It's way to strong for spraying canvas varnish!  By a factor of 4, at least!  Used without reducing the air flow a lot of varnish will simply bounce off the canvas and into the air.  To get it down to an appropriate air flow I partially close the hose connector valve as Malcom suggested.  I also put a garden-hose "Y" adapter on the output of the turbine.  One branch does to the spray gun, the other goes to a 25foot "soaker hose" with porous walls that bleeds a lot of air.  The resulting airflow is just right.  The soaker hose also serves as a sound muffler.  The Y connector and soaker can be bought at Lowes, Home Depot, gardening centers, etc.  At least in the US HVLP hoses use the same threads as garden hoses.

You can get your paint flow in the ballpark by loading the spraygun with water, then adjust the needle to get about 200 ml a minute sprayed into a bottle.  At that rate you can move the gun over the canvas at about 1 foot / 300mm per second with a deposition rate of about 8 ml per square foot per pass.  2 passes about ten or twenty minutes apart should do it unless the humidity is so high you shouldn't be spraying at all.  I always weigh by gun before and after spraying to make sure I'm getting a consistent deposition rate and amount, that pays off in long term consistency.  For water based sprays 1.1 grams = about 1 ml.  For solvent varnishes, 0.75 grams = 1 ml.  Stay away from solvent unless you are an expert and understand the serious risks.

If your gloss varnish is drying matte, you are probably holding the gun tip too far away.  8" / 200mm is optimum.  Any further and the drops will get tacky on its way to the canvas.  The varnish should look wet and glossy for at least several seconds after it hits the canvas, otherwise you will never get a gloss finish.  If it hits the canvas in a tacky state you will always wind up with a hazy matte finish. Temps above 80F / 29C can be difficult due to excessively fast drying, in the summer I have to get up way too early for the 60F / 15C temperature that I feel gives the nicest finish.  Find a dewpoint chart on the internet, buy a cheap temperature and humidity indicator, and never spray when the dewpoint is less than 10F below the actual temperature, since that risks hazing and other weird stuff.

Be sure to clean the gun very well and soon after each use.  Water sprays gunk up spray guns really fast.  I hate water sprays, total PITA!

edit: I used to do a lot of water varnishing.  Timeless can be challenging even for those with some experience.  A newby will probably get much better results with Glamour II, mainly because it has much better leveling properties, which is the ability to resist visual differences in the coating due to somewhat varying thicknesses.  Learn how to dilute it with water using a weighing scale because it's so thick it's hard to measure with measuring cups etc.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:13:18 pm by bill t. »

barry685

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 07:11:48 pm »

Bill,
Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply. I thought the spray cap was for adjusting the width of the spray pattern. I will get the Y connector and soaking hose and try that. I will also try Glamour II instead.
The rest of your post is above my pay grade  :)

barry685

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 05:33:46 am »

Bill can you elaborate on using a scale for glamour ii mix with water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up