Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H Film Camera - Looking for some purchasing advice  (Read 9027 times)

JJon

Hello, I think this is my first time posting a topic here so I appreciate any thoughts. I recently moved into the MF digital realm with a used H4D60. So far I am enjoying the camera quite a bit. I purchased it at a bargain price during the demise of a major retailer.

Now, I admit that I didn't research the hell out of this purchase and it was only after I bought it that it occurred to me that I may want to put some film through it (which is not an option I realize now). That said I am starting down the road of buying some H lenses and suddenly I am wondering if I want to get an H body for film.

So here is the Q: The H4D backs won't work on any H bodies that accept film backs will it? I think I read the backs work on H3DII bodies maybe? But, I don't know if those bodies can accept film backs either. If I could pick up a body that used both film backs and the H4d60 back that would be the dream. Backup digital body with film capability. But, I'm thinking I am one generation behind (H5X) that capability.

If you were buying a film body (used) which H would you get if price were a major consideration?

As an aside I have a 500 C/M and the V to H adapter but I'm looking at H specifically.

many thanks!

danord

Re: Hasselblad H Film Camera - Looking for some purchasing advice
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 03:49:51 am »

Hi
I am curious, have you tried the film back (HM16-32) on the H4? There has been some debate around this issue, and it MAY be that you have one of the (few) H-bodies that doesn't accept the HM16-32, but I am definitely not sure. I believe H1,H2,H3 (not H3dII?), H4x, H5 and (after a forthcomming firmware update) also the H6 should take the film back. Which of these that also will take your H4-60 back is unclear to me. Hasselblad has stated something about this in a paper that I cannot find right here and now, but there are also anecdotal stories about people making their backs work on different cameras throughout the line. Anyway, I am pretty sure that an H4x work with both your excisting back and the HM16-32. An alternative is of course to trade the whole setup to a H5 or H6 body and back and then purchase the HM 16-32.
Keep us posted!
all the best,
danord

Hello, I think this is my first time posting a topic here so I appreciate any thoughts. I recently moved into the MF digital realm with a used H4D60. So far I am enjoying the camera quite a bit. I purchased it at a bargain price during the demise of a major retailer.

Now, I admit that I didn't research the hell out of this purchase and it was only after I bought it that it occurred to me that I may want to put some film through it (which is not an option I realize now). That said I am starting down the road of buying some H lenses and suddenly I am wondering if I want to get an H body for film.

So here is the Q: The H4D backs won't work on any H bodies that accept film backs will it? I think I read the backs work on H3DII bodies maybe? But, I don't know if those bodies can accept film backs either. If I could pick up a body that used both film backs and the H4d60 back that would be the dream. Backup digital body with film capability. But, I'm thinking I am one generation behind (H5X) that capability.

If you were buying a film body (used) which H would you get if price were a major consideration?

As an aside I have a 500 C/M and the V to H adapter but I'm looking at H specifically.

many thanks!

greg06

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:54:03 am »

As I know you can use a film back with your camera (H4D) but you have to download the latest firmware update.

danord

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 04:05:35 am »

Ah, I didn't know that. That would be terrific news! :)

danord

As I know you can use a film back with your camera (H4D) but you have to download the latest firmware update.

Conner999

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 07:51:43 am »

There is also the original Hassy / Fuji GX645 which can be acquired with film back, body, battery and HC 80mm for under $2K  - and you get a b/u lens and (I assume) possibly some of other bits.

eyedear

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 08:13:13 am »

would someone who have tried this make a comment on this. i am also a user of H4D-50 nd i have ask hasselblad. they have answered it is not supported. i think this is a blunder on their part as i think there would be many people who would like to use film on a a hasselblad H with its amazing lens set

Chris Livsey

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:45:30 am »

Hasselblad November 11, 2014
Firmware version 3.3.2/1.1.4
H5D - ALL CCD MODELS
H5D-50c
Changes since version 3.1.3/1.1.4
• Support for ISO/WB setting in viewfinder
Film magazine compatibility
• Minor bug fixes

Current firmware version for the 4 series is 2.3.3 issued April 2015
The change log back to 2.2.2 does not show film back compatibility.
http://static.hasselblad.com/2014/11/Read_me_-2_3_3.pdf

landscapephoto

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 12:46:31 pm »

many thanks!

The only H cameras which accept the film back are the H1,H2,H3, H4x and H5. The H3DII was the first digital H to forgo film compatibility. The H4D is not compatible either and no firmware was announced to allow compatibility. The H4x is a special version of the H4 series for film and third party digital backs. Compatibility was restored with the H5 series (H5D and H5x). The H6D were announced as compatible, but I don't think that the relevant firmware has been issued yet.

This being said, old H1 cameras are pretty cheap on ebay and are probably the best choice if you want to use film with your existing lenses. A word of caution: most H1 cameras are not compatible with HCD lenses (the 24, 28 and 35-90), compatibility requires the most recent firmware (which can be installed via an old H back compatible with the H1, but these are rare).

If you want to use your existing digital back on a camera which can also use the film back, your only choice is the H3D (not the H3DII). You will need the replace the finder with the one you already have and you will lose true focus.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 12:57:41 pm »

A word of caution: most H1 cameras are not compatible with HCD lenses (the 24, 28 and 35-90), compatibility requires the most recent firmware (which can be installed via an old H back compatible with the H1, but these are rare).

The newer firmware in the H1 is also required to use the more recent higher capacity batteries:
9.5.1 added that and 9.5.2 added the compatibility with HCD lenses and HVD viewfinders for H1 & H2 &H1D

JJon

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »

The only H cameras which accept the film back are the H1,H2,H3, H4x and H5. The H3DII was the first digital H to forgo film compatibility. The H4D is not compatible either and no firmware was announced to allow compatibility. The H4x is a special version of the H4 series for film and third party digital backs. Compatibility was restored with the H5 series (H5D and H5x). The H6D were announced as compatible, but I don't think that the relevant firmware has been issued yet.

This being said, old H1 cameras are pretty cheap on ebay and are probably the best choice if you want to use film with your existing lenses. A word of caution: most H1 cameras are not compatible with HCD lenses (the 24, 28 and 35-90), compatibility requires the most recent firmware (which can be installed via an old H back compatible with the H1, but these are rare).

If you want to use your existing digital back on a camera which can also use the film back, your only choice is the H3D (not the H3DII). You will need the replace the finder with the one you already have and you will lose true focus.

Hello - thanks for this - I had been wondering if the H3D could indeed be the best bet. I spent a fair number of hours last night trying to determine if the H3D could indeed take the H4 back and the film back. That said - what is the difference in viewfinder? Was the H3D not designed for the film frame in mind?

Still with the H1 being very cheap maybe it is the way to go.

Many thanks to all who responded. If anyone else has thoughts let me know.

landscapephoto

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 02:10:44 am »

Hello - thanks for this - I had been wondering if the H3D could indeed be the best bet. I spent a fair number of hours last night trying to determine if the H3D could indeed take the H4 back and the film back.

Hasselblad says no, but people who tried found out that it works nevertheless.

That said - what is the difference in viewfinder? Was the H3D not designed for the film frame in mind?

There are two viewfinders: HV for film (and the 60 and 100 M pixels digital backs) and HVD for the slightly smaller CCD sizes. The H3D was sold with the HVD viewfinder, but you have the HV viewfinder on your H4D-60 camera.

JJon

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 02:18:44 am »

Hasselblad says no, but people who tried found out that it works nevertheless.

There are two viewfinders: HV for film (and the 60 and 100 M pixels digital backs) and HVD for the slightly smaller CCD sizes. The H3D was sold with the HVD viewfinder, but you have the HV viewfinder on your H4D-60 camera.

Great! Thanks for the info.

Frans Rutten

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 04:00:10 am »

Hi,
I had the same problem, using a H3DII. When I wanted to shoot some film again, I bought a used H1 for that.
I was very pleased when Hasselblad announced new firmware for HCD lens support, but my dealer didn't have an old back available for the update.
So that had to be taken care off in Sweden, but it was still the cheapest option.
Bare in mind, that HCD lenses really depend on DAC in Phocus. That may limit the usability in situations, where distortions become visible.

david.wagner49

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 05:29:10 pm »

I have a H3diii that I love with the 31 back. I also bought at a bargain price a H1 which included the film back. I am able to exchange HC lens with both camera bodies. I did contact Hasselblad about using the film back with the H3dii but it doesn't work. Keep in mind that the image is not a 2 1/4 Sq or a 6x7. It is smaller than the 6x7.
One thing you could consider that would be cheaper is buying a Fuji 670 or 690 that uses the same HC lens. Fujinon makes some of the  HC lens for Hasselblad. I had Miller's develop the roll of film and the images were razor sharp with beautiful color. I shot with Portra 160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

landscapephoto

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 02:17:40 am »

Fujinon manufactures the lenses for the Hasselblad H mount and there was one Fuji camera which could mount them, the Fuji GX645AF (which is actually a H1 and is made in Sweden), but the 670 and 690 cannot mount them.

Joe Towner

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 11:54:51 am »

I guess the question is when would you use film? I've got the H4D-50, and love her to no end, but swapping the back to put a film canister on?  She already has enough issues with dust on the sensor.

There isn't a H body that'll take film and your current digital back, so you'd be carrying a body + back to shoot film.  I would suggest taking a look at the compact Fuji MF film cameras, or even the GA645zi, which has a zoom lens.  Personally, I shoot film for a wider perspective, so the Horseman SW612 is my target.  There are other options for putting your back on a film camera, and it'll take the Sony battery adapter (most expensive plastic ever).

-Joe
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up